#21 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:56 AM

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281325

I respect Sutter's decision and I hope he enjoys being closer to his family. I am grateful for what he did hear in his short time in NJ. I really enjoyed watching his aggressive forecheck system (which made it frustrating when they didn't execute it down the stretch) and I enjoyed when he wasn't line matching. However, I am glad he decided to leave since his heart wasn't fully in it and his coaching seemed to slip down the stretch and into the playoffs. Best of luck to him in his future endeavors. Thanks for everything Brent.

I respect it too, but IMO, it has more to do with just being with his family....... Dont be surprised to see Calgary and Edmonton make strong offers for him to head coach.... He can still head coach and BE HOME, who wouldnt want that opportunity.

We just lost a hell of a coach.
What a shame.
Plus now we have to endure the Devils "coaching-merry-go-round" taunts from the NHL.

Kind of sad isnt it?

Please not maclean. lets bring in a new voice all together.
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#22 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:02 AM

Eh. Good coach, but his heart was never fully in it. Good riddance in that regard.

As long as the next coach isn't named Lemaire or (lol) Melrose, it should be someone worthy.

As far as Johnny Mac is concerned, I think he is deserved of the chance. While yes, he has made mistakes in the past, he's still there and has been for a solid period of time. I think that could be helpful. If MacLean gets some good voices around him as assistants, it could work well. If its a mistake, well then hes gone.

I'm not pulling for MacLean, but if he got it, it may work out well.

#23 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:07 AM

Eh. Good coach, but his heart was never fully in it. Good riddance in that regard.

As long as the next coach isn't named Lemaire or (lol) Melrose, it should be someone worthy.

As far as Johnny Mac is concerned, I think he is deserved of the chance. While yes, he has made mistakes in the past, he's still there and has been for a solid period of time. I think that could be helpful. If MacLean gets some good voices around him as assistants, it could work well. If its a mistake, well then hes gone.

I'm not pulling for MacLean, but if he got it, it may work out well.

Exactly, he never once quoted in the papers as someone who wanted to come back to NJ... he never said to the players or fans "see you in September" He never said, "I have unfinished business in NJ"................ If he did, I missed it, someone please dig up those articles and show me.

lets move on, Lou will probably just hire maclean but it wont be because he is the best man for the job but it will be the easiest way to fill the spot for this season.... :noclue:

Posted Image

#24 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:14 AM

I hope he doesn't get a cent from any NHL team, except as a consultant or something. If he ever coaches another NHL team he looks like a bigger phony than he already is (as it is he probably put up severe red flags for any team that would hire him).

I would have respected him a lot more if he'd never come, at least he'd be sticking to his principles and what he truly wanted to do all along.

I would have respected him if he finished out his contract and left when it was up.

The thing people are overlooking now is that the journo's that we were bashing all season for saying this were actually RIGHT the whole time.

This was very unprofessional and makes Sutter look like a big baby.

If you are wary about coming here in the first place, why do you sign a three year deal?

Like I said, if he finished out his contract and decided to leave AFTER all of the hockey has been played, then I'd respect him. Now after all these baby games, Lou has a few weeks to look for a coach before this hurts us in the free agent market. You better believe a player is going to be hesitant to sign here not know who the coach is going to be.

#25 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:19 AM

I would have respected him if he finished out his contract and left when it was up.

The thing people are overlooking now is that the journo's that we were bashing all season for saying this were actually RIGHT the whole time.

If you are wary about coming here in the first place, why do you sign a three year deal?

Like I said, if he finished out his contract and decided to leave AFTER all of the hockey has been played, then I'd respect him. Now after all these baby games, Lou has a few weeks to look for a coach before this hurts us in the free agent market. You better believe a player is going to be hesitant to sign here not know who the coach is going to be.

Relax, nothing's official yet.

#26 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:22 AM

Relax, nothing's official yet.

I honestly wouldn't want to see him return at this point.

There's no way he could magically make the decision to come back and then have his heart in it 100% let alone have the team play for a coach they KNOW doesn't want to be there.

The thing was mismanaged greatly. It was a distraction during the second half of the season and the playoffs as well.

I am surprised Lou didn't get rid of him immediately and look for a new coach instead of us having to hear Sutter and how depressed he is all the time.

#27 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:28 AM

Players and coaches all have a habit of bailing on their last year of contract..... Sutter saw a chance to get his feet wet in professional coaching and now he sees a chance to coach at home for a NHL team. Yes everyone is denying those rumors, but seriously read between the lines and take off the Devils colored glasses..... He saw the coaching position open in Calgary.... Expect his brother Darryl to make an offer sometime soon and dont be surprised if he takes it.. Brent said he wants to be closer to family, what better way to be close than working for his brother.
.... lets just hope we can find a decent coach who is the right fit.

Posted Image

#28 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,659 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:35 AM

I will be very pissed off/dissapointed in Sutter if he joins another team this season. It's ridiculous, this whole process. I didn't like the way he went to the press and never once did he compliment the Devils or express any sort of attachment to the process he started here in NJ. That's disappointing.

I still don't want MacLean.

I'd take Laviolette or Haviland.

#29 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,055 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:41 AM

I will be very pissed off/dissapointed in Sutter if he joins another team this season. It's ridiculous, this whole process. I didn't like the way he went to the press and never once did he compliment the Devils or express any sort of attachment to the process he started here in NJ. That's disappointing.

Well he complimented Lou plenty, but yeah I agree with the general point. He never once gave reasons why he would stay (maybe he will at a press conference, if he has one here), only reasons why he wanted to leave. So I don't see how his leaving is any surprise, the only thing that I don't get is why it took so long.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#30 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:45 AM

Thanks for NOTHING...

(Dedicated to DevilinLa)
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten. "Starbuck, what do you hear? ... Nothing but the rain...

"Look for my coming, at first light on the fifth day, at dawn, look to the East"

"I have the libido of a 15-year-old boy. " - Megan Fox

- Proud njdevs keeper of the Boss' Sold Out banner at the CAA -

#31 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:45 AM

Well he complimented Lou plenty, but yeah I agree with the general point. He never once gave reasons why he would stay (maybe he will at a press conference, if he has one here), only reasons why he wanted to leave. So I don't see how his leaving is any surprise, the only thing that I don't get is why it took so long.

Exactly....

Posted Image

#32 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:55 AM

yeah, if he joins another nhl team he's another saban-style charlatan, which i wouldn't expect from a sutter. it is refreshing that he didn't say things like 'i really want to be back' like a lot of guys would, so there's some honesty in him.

I still don't want MacLean.

I'd take Laviolette or Haviland.

anyone who forechecks hard. the neutral zone trap is not an option.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#33 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,323 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:55 AM

Too bad Sutter actually started to resemble a legit major league coach with his two years of experience.

Hello Johnny Mac, head coach NJ Devs.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#34 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,981 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:58 AM

Good- it obviously would've been good for no one if he stayed and wasn't committed 100%. Best of luck Brent.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#35 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:00 AM

FU Sutter!
You were supposed to be the chosen one who succeeds Lou.

Now you quit with still one year left on your contract?

Sorry, that is classless. Any of your players who played with that attitude would be on a stationary bike now

#36 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,981 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:05 AM

I can't wait for the line of "don't let the door hit you in the ass" posters we're going to get when the sun rises in NJ today.

A thread full of: JL vs. Johnny Mac - two both terrible options.

I know it sounds obvious but - personality is really key for this team.
A coach for this team has to be big enough to stand up against the egos and motivate some multiple-cup-winning vets.
The options available don't look too good given these factors. A rookie AHL coach isn't going to be able to do it.
(and the Bylsma argument is not a comparison as most of those guys are young and hungry)
Teddy Nolan seems the only personality to come close.

Anyone stop to think that there may have been more going on behind the scenes than what we though. Some possibilities:
1.) Too much control from Lou
2.) Too much control from MB

(No, this is not a cue for you LD!!!)

I'm just saying, maybe the Mandolfo line wasn't his choice....and maybe he wants to go somewhere where its REALLY his team!

Just a theory.....any thoughts?

Ya know DLA, that thought crossed my mind... I really don't want to think that was the case but Lou seems to be stuck in 1995 so it certainly wouldn't shock me. I just hope for a young hire like Haviland. No Lemaire. Certainly no MacLean. Lou's decisions of late don't give me the utmost amount of confidence that he'll make the right hire. If he hires either Lemaire or Johnny Mac, it might be time to check Lou into a nursing home.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#37 NJDevsFireOnIce

NJDevsFireOnIce

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:11 AM

:( fvck
Posted Image
Posted Image
Lazy

#38 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:17 AM

Please not maclean. lets bring in a new voice all together.

New voice with Lou around....now that's pretty funny.

#39 robdeselich88

robdeselich88

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:17 AM

I thought there is a certain rule that you cannot make this type of announcements during the finials( i.e coaching changes, playermoves)
img]http://jerseydatabase.com/sig/temp.png?ran=987145633[/img]

#40 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,281 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:19 AM

Finally.

Good riddance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users