84 replies to this topic

#21 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:25 PM

he quit and the method in which he did it upsets me. i'm glad that he's not back because everyone knew his heart wasn't in it and you can't have a coach like that.

the idea that he made the decision yesterday seems disingenuous also - i mean he had to be thinking this route for a good portion of this year - proof that when there's smoke, there's fire in the media sometimes after all. family is of course, the most important thing. but today is no different than two years ago. if it was that important, say no 2 years ago instead of taking the devils $.

he also sounds like the mayor of red deer with the "come here and you'll see what you're missing."

also - while it might not be this year, he's definitely going to coach one of those western teams if they want him. i actually hope it IS this year so the devils get some sort of compensation.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#22 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:28 PM

Sutter is a damn quitter! Good-riddance you low-life

"Personally, I could care less what other people think," Sutter said in a conference call from Alberta. "People out here aren't going to say that. People there may say it.

Well no sh!t! Does that make you feel better? Youre still a quitter

Edited by devlman, 09 June 2009 - 12:30 PM.

#23 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:29 PM

Sutter isn't a quitter. He is a resigner. :P

NJ is a tough place to warm up to. I think he did some great things with the Devils, lets hope we win a Cup next year! (Even sweeter if we beat Flames to do it!)
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#24 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,991 posts

shhhhhh. shut up and drink the kool-aid :rolleyes:

Seriously.

Forget Sutter right now. He's gone.

But what Lou is saying is downright insulting.

#25 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,297 posts

Yea, actually thats the very definition of quitter. Nieds at least played out his contract before leaving for family. Idc that he left, I care that he acted like a drama queen in the process. He should never had said anything at any point to indicate that he might be leaving, he should never have let the reporters drag out speculation for weeks, he deserves any negative stigma he gets.

#26 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,798 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:35 PM

he quit and the method in which he did it upsets me. i'm glad that he's not back because everyone knew his heart wasn't in it and you can't have a coach like that.

the idea that he made the decision yesterday seems disingenuous also - i mean he had to be thinking this route for a good portion of this year - proof that when there's smoke, there's fire in the media sometimes after all. family is of course, the most important thing. but today is no different than two years ago. if it was that important, say no 2 years ago instead of taking the devils $.

i think this is a little unfair - i don't really think it's about family so much as it is about seeing what he's built go to seed in red deer while he's alone in new jersey. there was actually a great peter king MMQB anecdote about him seeing brent sutter walking along a street in montclair looking frazzled and out of place - it's from last season and i'm not going to find it, but there was obviously a fish out of water aspect to sutter being here. i have to admit i didn't think this would happen, though.

he also sounds like the mayor of red deer with the "come here and you'll see what you're missing."

also - while it might not be this year, he's definitely going to coach one of those western teams if they want him. i actually hope it IS this year so the devils get some sort of compensation.

don't be so sure about that. first of all, lou probably lets him out of the deal without compensation or with very minimal compensation. i think he'll return to the nhl eventually but i can't see him staying out of red deer this season.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#27 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:48 PM

i think this is a little unfair - i don't really think it's about family so much as it is about seeing what he's built go to seed in red deer while he's alone in new jersey. there was actually a great peter king MMQB anecdote about him seeing brent sutter walking along a street in montclair looking frazzled and out of place - it's from last season and i'm not going to find it, but there was obviously a fish out of water aspect to sutter being here. i have to admit i didn't think this would happen, though.

don't be so sure about that. first of all, lou probably lets him out of the deal without compensation or with very minimal compensation. i think he'll return to the nhl eventually but i can't see him staying out of red deer this season.

i remember the peter king blog thing. i've also heard from others that he was a loner and always seemed miserable - he certainly was the two times i met him.

still - you have to know what you are going in. the thing is, i think sutter did have an idea and that's why he and lou had this understanding. that being said, it really should be on lou that that this happened. when you have to wait two years and throw a dump truck of money at a guy to say, "ok i'll see how it works out and come coach your team", then you should find someone else. (i'm envisioning charlie donovan calling lou brown and asking him to coach the indians).

as for lou letting him go without compensation, i think if he were to do that, he let the "gentleman's agreement" go too far. lou said in the conf. call today that the devils would be owed compensation. i'm not saying he's asking for scott stevens but he'll get a 3rd out of it.

if edmonton or calgary gives him enough, he'll coach there. he's got enough ego to think he can run red deer and coach an NHL team. and enough people think he's a good enough coach that he will take a team over the top. that's not to dismiss what he did with the devils these past two years.

i need to see who lou picks to have closure on this. if it's lemaire or maclean or lou himself, well then i'll be pissed because the devils are again left without a chair because sutter took his time on this.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#28 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:52 PM

"I am employed by the New Jersey Devils."

And now you're not.

Quitter.

#29 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,798 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:58 PM

still - you have to know what you are going in. the thing is, i think sutter did have an idea and that's why he and lou had this understanding. that being said, it really should be on lou that that this happened. when you have to wait two years and throw a dump truck of money at a guy to say, "ok i'll see how it works out and come coach your team", then you should find someone else. (i'm envisioning charlie donovan calling lou brown and asking him to coach the indians).

i think it's entirely possible that sutter didn't understand what being without his family and his junior team would mean, especially when his junior team has been so terribly run in his absence. hockey's all those people have in cities like red deer, you have to imagine that sutter was a huge part of that community and that he still has a ton of ties there.

if edmonton or calgary gives him enough, he'll coach there. he's got enough ego to think he can run red deer and coach an NHL team. and enough people think he's a good enough coach that he will take a team over the top. that's not to dismiss what he did with the devils these past two years.

i don't think any team will hire him as a coach if he still has responsibilities in red deer beyond simply owning the team. edmonton already hired their coaches for next year. i don't think it's about money, either, sutter has his ranch and a junior team and i'm sure he's still worth plenty of money. what does money buy you in red deer, alberta, anyway?

i need to see who lou picks to have closure on this. if it's lemaire or maclean or lou himself, well then i'll be pissed because the devils are again left without a chair because sutter took his time on this.

'left without a chair?' pat quinn and jacques martin do resemble furniture, i'll grant you, but i don't think any of the coaches that have been hired are guys the devils would've been interested in.

Edited by Triumph, 09 June 2009 - 12:59 PM.

#30 SC Devs Fan

SC Devs Fan

The News Guy

• Members
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:00 PM

What difference does it make, the Sutter 'era' is over, if he coaches the Flames it will give me that much more pleasure when we spank them.
"There is money in the banana stand"

George Bluth

#31 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:07 PM

Good point. He, more than anyone should have known what he was getting into family wise. He only played in the NHL for 15 years and had five brothers who played as well. It's not like he was some hick out of the backwoods of Canada who had no clue about NHL life. That's why I have no sympathy for him.

#32 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,451 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:07 PM

quitter.

I'm here for the party

#33 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:10 PM

When decisions are made because of family, you have to respect them. I wish him the best.

Exactly.. Well at least now we have something interesting to talk about all off season

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#34 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:17 PM

If he said it was about the junior team, alright, fine. But this "you gotta fly out here and see it" bullsh!t is just that. Bullsh!t. It sounds like he holed up in Montclair on all of his off days to be that ignorant about the area. He was 30-35 minutes up 280 from having that East Jabib lifestyle he seems to like.

#35 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,451 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:31 PM

i think it's entirely possible that sutter didn't understand what being without his family and his junior team would mean, especially when his junior team has been so terribly run in his absence. hockey's all those people have in cities like red deer, you have to imagine that sutter was a huge part of that community and that he still has a ton of ties there.

i don't think any team will hire him as a coach if he still has responsibilities in red deer beyond simply owning the team. edmonton already hired their coaches for next year. i don't think it's about money, either, sutter has his ranch and a junior team and i'm sure he's still worth plenty of money. what does money buy you in red deer, alberta, anyway?

'left without a chair?' pat quinn and jacques martin do resemble furniture, i'll grant you, but i don't think any of the coaches that have been hired are guys the devils would've been interested in.

If he DOESN"T -- he's a complete and utter moron... seriously you make him sound more and more imbecilic with your "defence" is that your aim? It's cool if it is... I do that - make him out to seem a bigger and bigger jackass the kinder I am.

Seriously though -- the man toured the country playing professional hockey -- the man lived on Long Island -- he knew what he was getting into. He just didn't realize somewhere along the line he got old. He's an old fart and likes it that way. He's lost his competitive edge and has ZERO desire to hone it any further than his own back yard. No he will NOT be going into coaching -- unless it's for his brother. He loved his own little fiefdom and got excited when it got on the map and thought maybe he;d like to play with the big boys. But the big boys were meaner, flashier, smarter and wanted it more so he;s going home. It IS THAT SIMPLE. Unless his mom or in-laws have cancer or something. If it's anything other than that he's just --- just not moved by hockey the way he used to be. Small potatoes is what he wants and there is no shame in that. :noclue:

Edited by Pepperkorn, 09 June 2009 - 01:37 PM.

I'm here for the party

#36 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,199 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:38 PM

Isn't Calgary only 90 miles away or so from Red Deer? Thats really the only place I can see him ending up if he wants back into the NHL.

#37 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,032 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:40 PM

"Personally, I could care less what other people think," Sutter said in a conference call from Alberta. "People out here aren't going to say that. People there may say it.

What the fvck do you mean "people there may say it"? I officially don't like that quitting, biggoted, self-righteous son of a bitch. If leaving before we wanted you to leave, while still under contract, isn't quitting-- please give me a better fvcking definition.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#38 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:45 PM

Bah, this whole "quitter" talk is ridiculous. Since when has the length of a coach's contract ever meant anything? Has a coach ever worked the exact length of a contract? In any sport? Ever? It seems like coaches always are either fired or step down before the contract itself expires. This is just more of the same.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#39 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,798 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:45 PM

If he DOESN"T -- he's a complete and utter moron... seriously you make him sound more and more imbecilic with your "defence" is that your aim? It's cool if it is... I do that - make him out to seem a bigger and bigger jackass the kinder I am.

Seriously though -- the man toured the country playing professional hockey -- the man lived on Long Island -- he knew what he was getting into. He just didn't realize somewhere along the line he got old. He's an old fart and likes it that way. He's lost his competitive edge and has ZERO desire to hone it any further than his own back yard. No he will NOT be going into coaching -- unless it's for his brother. He loved his own little fiefdom and got excited when it got on the map and thought maybe he;d like to play with the big boys. But the big boys were meaner, flashier, smarter and wanted it more so he;s going home. It IS THAT SIMPLE. Unless his mom or in-laws have cancer or something. If it's anything other than that he's just --- just not moved by hockey the way he used to be. Small potatoes is what he wants and there is no shame in that. :noclue:

i certainly don't think brent sutter is particularly bright, if that's what you're asking.

#40 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,623 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:49 PM

Bah, this whole "quitter" talk is ridiculous. Since when has the length of a coach's contract ever meant anything? Has a coach ever worked the exact length of a contract? In any sport? Ever? It seems like coaches always are either fired or step down before the contract itself expires. This is just more of the same.

Finally, a voice of reason. :koolaid:
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users