84 replies to this topic

#41 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,282 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:55 PM

Bah, this whole "quitter" talk is ridiculous. Since when has the length of a coach's contract ever meant anything? Has a coach ever worked the exact length of a contract? In any sport? Ever? It seems like coaches always are either fired or step down before the contract itself expires. This is just more of the same.

Because in NJ as a coach you don't quit before you contract is up, you get fired :P

I don't care that he left, I care about the drama train he boarded and circled the team with for no reason. Good luck, good bye, good riddance.

#42 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:06 PM

I don't care that he left, I care about the drama train he boarded and circled the team with for no reason. Good luck, good bye, good riddance.

That's fair enough.

I'm not gonna get angry with the guy. He announced that he's stepping down early enough that there are still plenty of good replacement candidates available. Niedermayer didn't give us that courtesy. And he changed the philosophy of the team in a good way, if only for the majority of one regular season. The last coach who really drastically changed anything in New Jersey was Jacques Lemaire, and that set us up for a good decade of success. I can only hope that Lou makes his next coaching hire with the same forward-thinking frame of mind that he hired Sutter with.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#43 Middlesex

Middlesex

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:15 PM

Billy Donovan syndrome anyone?
NJDevs resident MMA expert and the only ice hockey goalie ever to fight his own defenseman.

NHL: Brodeur, Madden, Ovechkin, Janssen, Elias, Kovalchuk, Pelley, Sugulobov, Tendenby, Terreri
MMA: St. Pierre, Mir, Machida, Mitrione, Edgar, Sotiropoulous, Mr. Wonderful, Bones, Struve
NFL: Manning, Jacobs, Matt Bryant, Favre

3-0 Game Day Threads.

Est. 1990: Crawling on the carpet in '95, listening to Game 6 on the radio in '00 (past my bedtime), Attended Game 1 in '03

#44 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,045 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:24 PM

Would anyone care if he left after winning the Cup? I doubt it...

And this wasn't about quitting because he didn't think he could get the job done or the most out of his players. It was about family and his life at home. Did anyone call Larry a quitter when he couldn't even finish half a season?

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#45 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:32 PM

Maybe....plus he'd still be coaching right now.... :P and not home now.

And this wasn't about quitting because he didn't think he could get the job done or the most out of his players. It was about family and his life at home. Did anyone call Larry a quitter when he couldn't even finish half a season?

yea probably; someone called larry a quitter then...
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#46 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,276 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:02 PM

Oh please, this is so different it's hardly worth arguing. Sutter quit because he'd rather manage Red Deer than coach the Devils. Larry quit because he cared too much and had physical issues because of it. Plus he was dragged in to coach out of loyalty to Lou because Burns had a relapse.

And it's different from the Nieds thing too, the Nieds thing gets so overrated. He waited three freaking days. He wanted the Ducks to make a commitment to his brother, that's what he was waiting for. Plus his contract was over when he left and he did a lot for the Devils. He didn't come here for two years and leave when he couldn't hack it.

Edited by Hasan4978, 09 June 2009 - 03:03 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#47 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:18 PM

I gotta say a big FU to those calling the guy a quitter.
Although I'm not pleased with the way it wen down in the last months, part of me believes that might have been a smokesreen to buy time for Lou to get a plan together.
Fact is, if he goes directly to CAL, I'll believe he's a traitor.
If not, he did what he did for his family, maybe even to save his marriage as someone said. Like a real man.
If this was a decision by King Scott Stevens people here would be lauding it (including you PK) like he was "humanitarian of the year".
Then again there are a lot of young single dudes on this board that probably don't have that kind of perspective yet.

Was Doc Emerick a "quitter" when he leaves to go do broadcasts for Vs. or NBC, or when his Dad passed away?

So for now I've got to say "get over it people". Stop being selfish and respect the guys value of family. There's a bigger world out there than JUST NJ hockey.
What iff it was your Dad or your marriage?
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#48 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,282 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:24 PM

Although I'm not pleased with the way it wen down in the last months, part of me believes that might have been a smokesreen to buy time for Lou to get a plan together.
If not, he did what he did for his family, maybe even to save his marriage as someone said. Like a real man.
If this was a decision by King Scott Stevens people here would be lauding it (including you PK) like he was "humanitarian of the year".
Then again there are a lot of young single dudes on this board that probably don't have that kind of perspective yet.

Was Doc Emerick a "quitter" when he leaves to go do broadcasts for Vs. or NBC, or when his Dad passed away?

So for now I've got to say "get over it people". Stop being selfish and respect the guys value of family. There's a bigger world out there than JUST NJ hockey.

If that stuff were the case, and I think you are reaching, I would say "i'm a quitter, and I have more important things to worry about".

Still a quitter though.

And don't even try to compare 2 years of service of Sutter to the decade of loyalty Doc has given to this team. an NHL coach is the most premier position you can have in a coaching profession, being a local play by play is not the most premier position you can have as a broad caster. And he didn't even leave the Devils!

#49 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:24 PM

What he said!

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#50 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:30 PM

If that stuff were the case, and I think you are reaching, I would say "i'm a quitter, and I have more important things to worry about".

Still a quitter though.

And don't even try to compare 2 years of service of Sutter to the decade of loyalty Doc has given to this team. an NHL coach is the most premier position you can have in a coaching profession, being a local play by play is not the most premier position you can have as a broad caster. And he didn't even leave the Devils!

So if your marriage or child's mental/physical health was in possible jeopardy it wouldn't matter?

All THAT MATTERS in the NJ Devils?

Selfish much?

Didn't you ever learn not to judge someone - especially when you have like 10% of the whole story?

Or is he obligated to disclose personal matters of his marriage and family because he's in a "premier position in the NHL"?

I guess Pat Burns is a quitter too regardless of his issues?
Posted Image

#51 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,276 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:32 PM

First of all the whole marriage thing is total speculation, there's nothing to substantiate anything of that nature.

Secondly, why did he leave in the first place if being away from home was such an issue? He more than anyone should have known the price he'd have to pay coaching 3000 miles away, he played most of his career 3000 miles away from his family. I don't want to say he did it for the money per se but you could make that argument.

The Doc thing is totally different, he's under contract to work for VS and NBC - sometimes national games conflict with the local broadcast. He took a leave of absence for his dad, he didn't quit - and if he did so be it he's an announcer, a great and enjoyable one but other people don't depend on him for the success of the team.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#52 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:49 PM

First of all the whole marriage thing is total speculation, there's nothing to substantiate anything of that nature.

Secondly, why did he leave in the first place if being away from home was such an issue? He more than anyone should have known the price he'd have to pay coaching 3000 miles away, he played most of his career 3000 miles away from his family. I don't want to say he did it for the money per se but you could make that argument.

The Doc thing is totally different, he's under contract to work for VS and NBC - sometimes national games conflict with the local broadcast. He took a leave of absence for his dad, he didn't quit - and if he did so be it he's an announcer, a great and enjoyable one but other people don't depend on him for the success of the team.

I'm just saying we don't know the whole story so lets not rush to crucify him.
Posted Image

#53 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,132 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:50 PM

This. And this again.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#54 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:51 PM

FU too,

He is not the first guy to take a job in another town. His wife could have come with him to NJ, or flow flown over here on a regular basis. He was making enough money. A Girl that demands you leave your team is not worth it anyway. If he did not know what he was getting into before he signed the deal, then he is just plain stupid.

#55 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:51 PM

'left without a chair?' pat quinn and jacques martin do resemble furniture, i'll grant you, but i don't think any of the coaches that have been hired are guys the devils would've been interested in.

I reread what i wrote and that was really the wrong phrase to use. i guess i just feel that this last month lou could've been vetting choices and had someone in place. then again, as long as he's got it by 7/1, i suppose its fine.

if lou names a successor this week, then he knew for a while. if not, there's no smokescreen.
i have no problem that he chose family over this team - nobody does. but why didn't he choose it two years ago?
enough with the scott stevens stuff. i think you don't give enough people on this board credit to say that stevens is in someway a current day messiah.
you don't need to be a married late 40's guy with a family to have perspective.

your Doc analogy is ridiculous - it is in no way similar to what this is.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#56 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,282 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:54 PM

So if your marriage or child's mental/physical health was in possible jeopardy it wouldn't matter?

All THAT MATTERS in the NJ Devils?

Selfish much?

Didn't you ever learn not to judge someone - especially when you have like 10% of the whole story?

Or is he obligated to disclose personal matters of his marriage and family because he's in a "premier position in the NHL"?

I guess Pat Burns is a quitter too regardless of his issues?

No, if you bothered to read what I wrote, I said I would quit, and would be a quitter and wouldn't care that people called me a quitter since I had more important things like those you mentioned.

Which is more or less his attitude but It doesn't make him any less the quitter.

You are coming pretty far out of left field on those random speculations, it's much more likely the guy wasn't enjoying his time here and wanted to go home and wait for the chance to coach the Flames.

#57 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,132 posts

FU too,

He is not the first guy to take a job in another town. His wife could have come with him to NJ, or flow flown over here on a regular basis. He was making enough money. A Girl that demands you leave your team is not worth it anyway. If he did not know what he was getting into before he signed the deal, then he is just plain stupid.

The guy has a 17-year-old daughter he didn't want to uproot to move not only 3,000 miles away, but to ANOTHER COUNTRY. That's all well and good if you have a 7 year old... but I'm not uprooting my daughter out of high school in her senior fvcking year. Some people on this board really need a fvcking perspective. The world doesn't revolve around the Devils.

#58 SatansDevils

SatansDevils

OOT Scoreboard Specialist

• Members
  • 16,006 posts

I'm sorry, but Sutter is not a quitter. Understand his reasonings.

I agree with you DevilinLA.

brodeurcups.png682 WINS, 124 SHUTOUTSgallery_1080_56_3521.png Keeper of #9-Zach Parise, Brodeur's All-Time Wins/Shutout Record (552+, 104+) FIRE & ICE Lounges @ Prudential Center.
5,580 fans for Devils/Flyers Blizzard game on 2/10/10, RD Avatar Award Winner: '08-'09 for best Avatar

#59 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:02 PM

The guy has a 17-year-old daughter he didn't want to uproot to move not only 3,000 miles away, but to ANOTHER COUNTRY. That's all well and good if you have a 7 year old... but I'm not uprooting my daughter out of high school in her senior fvcking year. Some people on this board really need a fvcking perspective. The world doesn't revolve around the Devils.

You are telling me he his daughter surprisingly became 17?

#60 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,132 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:06 PM

You are telling me he his daughter surprisingly became 17?

Ya know what dude, it's pretty obvious to me you are incapable of putting yourself in another person's shoes and empathizing with a situation. Talk to me after you've had a family and see if your attitude changes. I hope it does for the sake of your family.

Edited by MadDog2020, 09 June 2009 - 04:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users