57 replies to this topic

#41 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:00 PM

YES! Keep forgetting about them, great call.

I know so little new music without 106.3 :evilcry: I'm still not over it. It's not summer in Jersey without FM106.3/G-Rock.

That's why you need some XM / Sirius in your life...sure, they are an annoying mega corporation with terrible customer service, but gosh darn to they play some good music now and again. The whole Bell X1 CD is quite stellar, by the way!

I get Sirius/XM on DirecTV and my father has it for his car. What strikes me is how much repetition there is...it seems no different than commercial radio in that respect. For as little as I listen to it, I hear the same songs over and over (if I hear Pearl Jam on Lithium again, or that damned Asteroid Galaxy Tour band that only seems to exist on Alt Nation again, I'm gonna scream)

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#42 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:08 PM

Last, notice how I said "play good music now and again" :D The variety really has gone down the tubes in the years I've had it, but it's still better than commercial radio.

By the way, since we're all sharing music videos, allow me to post a video my brother recently shot and directed for an R&B singer friend of his. The song is a touch above decent but dare I say the video is pretty fantastic for being made with no money, although I am a touch biased. I'm just a proud brother!

Edited by Bulletproof, 21 July 2009 - 10:08 PM.

Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#43 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,193 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:21 PM

YES! Keep forgetting about them, great call.

I know so little new music without 106.3 :evilcry: I'm still not over it. It's not summer in Jersey without FM106.3/G-Rock.

Yeh, Bell X1 is good stuff. I've been away from Jersey for most of the summer but I too am not over losing G Rock. It made my delivery job much more enjoyable to actually hear decent music on the radio and it introduced me to a ton of new and old bands. Unfortunately for me I didn't find G Rock until a month before they switched.

Stuff I've gotten lately

Silversun Pickups- Swoon

Peter Bradley Adams- Leavetaking

Silversun Pickups are by far my favorite band. Ever since I heard "Kissing Families" from their EP Pikul I fell in love. Inbetween that EP and both of their full lengths I have never heard a track I didn't like. Great band.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#44 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,968 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:28 PM

Came out today, but VVinyl tends to break release dates and had it on the shelf on Sunday when I went to search for the Iran album.

It's not AWFUL, but there's nothing there that's gonna make me want to listen more than twice. Which is weird, because even the OLP albums I didn't like (Gravity) had stuff that made me want to listen again. That talk of "we're gonna rock like Naveed" was BS.

They sound like a band that's afraid to do what they do best.

Monkey Brains is a good song, so was Refuge and White Flags...a lot of them I don't even remember which song was which though, they're all so...meh.

The album cover's probably the best one since Clumsy though, so it's got that going for it, which is nice.

I've been listening to a lot of the new Pheonix album lately. There are a whole bunch of great songs on it.

As for the new OLP album, it's average at best. I think you are right on with Monkey Brains and Refuge being the stand out tracks. The rest is pretty typical mainstream top 40 crap. I do like the album cover too.

Regardless of how good..or bad this album is...they are still a fun band to see live. I saw them last week and they put on a good show.Their guitarist has gotten a lot better live.

Edited by devilsrule33, 21 July 2009 - 10:43 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#45 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:40 PM

Regardless of how good this album is...they are still a fun band to see live. I saw them last week and they put on a good show.Their guitarist has gotten a lot better live.

Yeah, I'm regretting not getting tickets for the NYC show tonight. The person I was going to go with couldn't go, so I didn't bother. I imagine there will be a full-scale tour eventually though, they always seem to do a handful of one-offs when a new album comes out, then an actual tour a few months later.

I have to say, after posting that semi-review, I downloaded the two "bonus" (Time Bomb and The Right Stuff) tracks that weren't on the CD I bought, and I like them both better than most of the stuff on the album, so they haven't lost their touch, they're just overthinking the album concept, I think. Which is ironic considering no one buys albums anymore it seems.

Edit: After listening to it multiple times, I think The Right Stuff could become one of my favorite OLP songs. Almost wishing I waited for the version of the album with the bonus tracks, instead of grabbing the regular version just to have it a few days early.

Edited by thelastonealive, 21 July 2009 - 10:43 PM.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.

#46 Deke

Deke

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:04 AM

The more I listen to the new Sonic Youth record, the more I think it's the best thing they have done in years.
Go Carp, go!
Salmonbellies rule!
Hit 'em harder cops!
But a hockey team called the Mighty Ducks?
Aw, man.

#47 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:56 PM

okay so i just listened to burn burn and it's painfully mediocre. ew. i'm severely disappointed.

it sounds like i might like it a LITTLE more after a few listens but man, i was really expecting more. i'm still amped to see them in august but this sure put a huge damper on my excitement. sigh.

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#48 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:06 PM

Edited cause I couldn't embed the youtube link

here's a link

Edited by RSC, 22 July 2009 - 10:06 PM.

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#49 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 03:38 AM

Don't know if these guys have made it across the pond yet, but they've got some pretty good hard rock songs:

Volbeat - Guitar Gangsters & Cadillac Blood

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#50 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:15 PM

Ryan Adams & The Cardinals - Magick

Matt & Kim - Daylight (Yes, you know it from the Bicardi commercial)

#51 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:57 PM

Unfortunately, I've been out of the loop with new music for a while. But I heard this song last week on Sons of Anarchy, a pretty kick-ass show IMO. I think this one is already a few years old, but whatever, it's new to me.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5uect48Vcc&NR=1&feature=fvwp"]http://www.youtube.c...=1&feature=fvwp[/url]

#52 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:50 PM

Back in 1998, this was the first band to ever blow me away live (I was just 15). Since then I've loosely gathered their catalog and even saw 'em open for Green Day in Asbury in '01. But mostly I've done a crap job of being a fan. But they came up on my iPod the other day and since then I've been going nuts rediscovering their ass-kickery.

The band is The Living End. Check 'em out.

This is just ridiculous:

And this is the song that put them on the map:

Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#53 threestars

threestars

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:36 PM

I freaking LOVE the living end. I would love to see them live.

Hopefully getting tickets sunday to see RBF/Aquabats in Feb. Woot! More bands should come to Australia, because I say so.

Posted Image

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Lowell Devils' Goalies: Frank Doyle and (co-keeper) Jordan Parise; Keeper of former Ottawa Senator Dean McAmmond; co-Keeper of David Clarkson; Keeper of the first goal at The Rock (thank you Meszaros/Neil) and the first EN goal at The Rock (thanks Alfie); and co-Keeper of NJDevs.com Keepers.

Proud recipient of the 2008 NJDevs.com Joe Nieuwendyk Award for Best Non-Devils Fan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

GO SENS GO!!!Posted ImageGO SENSGO!!!

I curse you Noah Webster for your defamation of the English language. I spit on you.

#54 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:25 PM

I freaking LOVE the living end. I would love to see them live.

Hopefully getting tickets sunday to see RBF/Aquabats in Feb. Woot! More bands should come to Australia, because I say so.

As the self proclaimed ska expert of njdevs.com, I fully endorse this post.

The Aquabats need to come out with a new album, like, immediately
Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#55 Dave30

Dave30

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:48 AM

will give a shout out to some aussie bands

The Reefs (a mate's band)
http://www.triplejun...?artistID=14365

The Cat Empire (are they already sort of known over there?)
http://www.myspace.com/thecatempire

Sarah Blasko
http://www.myspace.com/sarahblasko

Jackson Jackson
http://www.myspace.c...sonjacksonmusic

#56 threestars

threestars

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:24 PM

I got the tickets. Am very excited. Two of my favourite live bands are the Planet Smashers and Less than Jake....really enjoyed their shows.

Dave30...I will check them out. A NZ band I know of (play hockey with one member....he is freaking good at hockey): King Cannons http://www.kingcannons.com

Posted Image

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Lowell Devils' Goalies: Frank Doyle and (co-keeper) Jordan Parise; Keeper of former Ottawa Senator Dean McAmmond; co-Keeper of David Clarkson; Keeper of the first goal at The Rock (thank you Meszaros/Neil) and the first EN goal at The Rock (thanks Alfie); and co-Keeper of NJDevs.com Keepers.

Proud recipient of the 2008 NJDevs.com Joe Nieuwendyk Award for Best Non-Devils Fan

GO SENS GO!!!Posted ImageGO SENSGO!!!

I curse you Noah Webster for your defamation of the English language. I spit on you.

#57 Dave30

Dave30

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:25 AM

King Cannons are pretty good, might go check them out at the esplanade in feb

#58 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:40 PM

Can't top the origional but this is a good remix of Knights of Cydonia.

Anyone going to see them at MSG?

http://hypem.com/#/t...ntegrals Remix

Kid Cudi is the man too:

http://hypem.com/#/t...ng feat Sharam
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users