#201 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:31 AM

So far every host nation has advanced to the 2nd round

Is South Africa likely to continue that trend?
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#202 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:37 AM

FIFA will somehow make that happen...
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten.

#203 Atterr

Atterr

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:50 AM

It depends on the draw. Maybe if they avoid Portugal or France, there is hope for them. But even then, their chances are very slim I think.

#204 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,196 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:18 AM

Is South Africa likely to continue that trend?

If South Korea and Japan can do it, why not south Africa. A buzzing home crowd can do a lot for you.

#205 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:35 PM

If South Korea and Japan can do it, why not south Africa. A buzzing home crowd can do a lot for you.

South Korea/Japan was a lot different though. South Africa could, but its not the same. France doesnt even count and same if Brazil were to win in 2014.

The US can lose the World Cup this Friday. If we get in the wrong group, it's curtains. I'm hoping for something cush with lots of defensive teams, as thats sadly, our style. We struggle against teams with any type of pressing attack and play the waiting for mistakes game too often. Id like to have England in our group though. Id like to see Landon ruin Becks :lol:

#206 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,389 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:47 PM

I wish to avoid the Dutch, the Danes (because I'm Danish and rooting for them also)and Portugal (revenge), and Brazil..........
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#207 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:59 PM

South Korea/Japan was a lot different though. South Africa could, but its not the same. France doesnt even count and same if Brazil were to win in 2014.

The US can lose the World Cup this Friday. If we get in the wrong group, it's curtains. I'm hoping for something cush with lots of defensive teams, as thats sadly, our style. We struggle against teams with any type of pressing attack and play the waiting for mistakes game too often. Id like to have England in our group though. Id like to see Landon ruin Becks :lol:

Not to throw water on your parade but this US team is not any better then last WC's group which was poor.
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten.

#208 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,389 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:42 PM

Not to throw water on your parade but this US team is not any better then last WC's group which was poor.

The US was the vicitm of very poor refeering.

The Bocanegra Red which should have been a yellow at worst versus the Italians, and the non-existent foul against Onyewu vs. Ghana giving them the penalty.

Brutal.

The US will upset a top European club, then lose to a weaker African club......and not advance due to goal differential.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#209 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,196 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:58 PM

The US was the vicitm of very poor refeering.

Posted Image

#210 njdevsfn95

njdevsfn95

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:13 PM

the Czech Republic is a nation we think is better at hockey than soccer, probably thanks to 1998 Olympics and Patrik Elias and Petr Sykora.

they were a good team back in 2006. they were ranked #2 going in.

the US was the ONLY team not to lose to Italy, the World Cup Champions. we also "tied" them 2 - 1 ;)

Edited by njdevsfn95, 03 December 2009 - 11:16 PM.

#211 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,389 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:03 AM

Posted Image

How about EXTREMELY POOR refereeing.

If you disagree with that, you don't recall the particular decisions I'm referring to.

Indisputable.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#212 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:17 AM

There were some bad calls in 06, but the play of the team sealed the losses. That was a terrible group to be in and is worst-case scenario this time around.

As for this World Cup squad, its better than 2006. Theres more viable offensive threats and if Jozy and Landon can develop a chemistry better seen than in qualifying, a similar run to 2002 is not out of the question. Id be stunned at anything more than the quarters though, and Id be pretty surprised at that really. It really depends on a few hours from now. A good group can be the ticket to the Final, especially for teams at the fringe like any CONCACAF squad for the most part.

I dont think theres a clear cut favorite by any stretch. Brazil? Yea, always, but they're not the Brazil of the last 10 years either. Every team has a weakness.

#213 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,389 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:28 AM

Losing Davies is a big loss for the US. He really looked good out there with Donovan. Shame what happened to the girl.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#214 Atterr

Atterr

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:43 AM

I dont think theres a clear cut favorite by any stretch. Brazil? Yea, always, but they're not the Brazil of the last 10 years either. Every team has a weakness.

Spain is definitely the favorite. European champions and they have only gotten better. Brazil is always dangerous, but I'm not convinced and Argentina will not win as long as Maradona is coach. Can't wait for the draw!

#215 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:39 PM

Watching draft live via ESPN.com

Poll in the draft room: What seed, aside from South Africa, is the most vulnerable?

45% say Argentina, followed by 17% for England.

Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that

#216 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:55 PM

Someone needs to learn to tell time in South Africa...

#217 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:00 PM

From ESPN Chat:

Jen Chang: Charlize Theron needs to fire her agent for setting her up with this gig. She was just forced to ask "What are these ping pong balls for" ....

#218 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:08 PM

Damn Mexico.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#219 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:08 PM

Mexico draws South Africa.

#220 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:09 PM

USA with England lol.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users