337 replies to this topic

#221 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:11 PM

If I couldnt have South Africa, England is who'd I want.

#222 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:18 PM

Algeria from pool 3, great draw for US AFAIK
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#223 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:23 PM

And Slovenia from Group 4, looks like a group we can advance from if we play well.

Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that

#224 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:27 PM

There's really no reason why the US can't advance. Groups G and H both look pretty rough, especially G...Brazil, Ivory Coast, and Portugal.

#225 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:32 PM

There's really no reason why the US can't advance. Groups G and H both look pretty rough, especially G...Brazil, Ivory Coast, and Portugal.

With group G I agree, but Group H? Looks like a good draw for Spain to me

#226 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:37 PM

If we couldnt be in Group A, I think we got the next best spot.

The US has much more than a fighting chance to get through. Its doable.

#227 Atterr

Atterr

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:40 PM

The Netherlands draw Denmark, Japan and Cameroon, which is a pretty good drawing for us compared to the last WC and EC. So yeah, I'm happy...

USA should definitely be able to advance, although Slovenia isn't a pushover.

South Africa got Uruguay, France and Mexico, so I guess this will be the first time that the host nation doesn't go to the second round (and with a little bit of luck, France won't make it as well).

#228 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,031 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:40 PM

Is South Africa likely to continue that trend?

Not likely with the group they got stuck with. Okay Uruguay and Mexico aren't world-beaters but they were about the best teams that South Africa could have been stuck with from those pots and getting France really sucks for them.

USA with England lol.

Good, I was hoping for that just for entertainment value. Especially if Donovan gets the best of Beckham in the end :lol:
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#229 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:47 PM

With group G I agree, but Group H? Looks like a good draw for Spain to me

I'm kinda learning soccer as I go, so I was leaning heavily on the ranking number, which has Spain 2, Chile 8, and Honduras 25, which on paper looks like it might be tough.

#230 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:51 PM

We really did well considering. Coulda had Ivory Coast and/or Portugal in there instead.

Now we've got 6 months to prepare for England.

No real Group of Death this time around, with G being the best candidate for it. Group matchups look dreadful from a storyline perspective. Not one game really jumps out at me. I think FIFA did a good job addressing balance, but it seems like a rather lackluster draw concerning the games themselves. The knockout rounds will be great though, or should be at least.

#231 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:56 PM

I'm kinda learning soccer as I go, so I was leaning heavily on the ranking number, which has Spain 2, Chile 8, and Honduras 25, which on paper looks like it might be tough.

You can’t give too much on world rankings as it is comparing teams who play completely different opponents. Chile has had a good qualification, but is traditionally not a powerhouse. Honduras and the Swiss were one of the weaker teams in respective drawing groups

#232 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:59 PM

Yea world rankings are unreliable markers in FIFA. They're too broad. Its not even like the NCAA tournament.

#233 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:39 PM

Argentina with the easiest group ... :blahblah:
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten. •• "Starbuck, what do you hear? ... Nothing but the rain...

"Look for my coming, at first light on the fifth day, at dawn, look to the East"

"I have the libido of a 15-year-old boy. " - Megan Fox

- Proud njdevs keeper of the Boss' Sold Out banner at the CAA -

#234 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:54 PM

Argentina with the easiest group ... :blahblah:

Nah. England or France. I think England have the most pressure without question. If they fail to make it out of the groups, it will be crazy. France got a piss-easy road aside from the host squad and possibly Mexico, but considering how they got there, France got off basically.

I think Argentina definitely got an easy road and Id agree any other Cup, but with Maradona managing, beating Nigeria will be rough.

#235 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:03 PM

I disagree - a weak France will have to go up against the host who will play as hosts do - and Mexico who is pretty even with Uruguay will play tough against them and each other, Argentina draws one of the weakest African teams - a Korean Rep who the coaches last night admittedly had not ever scouted and a Greece who is a shadow of the team who miraculously won the Euro years ago ... no contest imo
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten. •• "Starbuck, what do you hear? ... Nothing but the rain...

"Look for my coming, at first light on the fifth day, at dawn, look to the East"

"I have the libido of a 15-year-old boy. " - Megan Fox

- Proud njdevs keeper of the Boss' Sold Out banner at the CAA -

#236 losdiablos103

losdiablos103

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:32 PM

The U.S. got a pretty easy draw if ya ask me.
Posted Image Posted Image

#237 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:35 PM

The US always stumbles against weaker European teams......Slovenia is tough.

Holland IMO is the favorite to win this whole thing.

If my Danes get a draw with the Dutch, it's an easy sail through to the second round, if not, they advance anyway.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#238 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 05:55 AM

The US always stumbles against weaker European teams......Slovenia is tough.

Holland IMO is the favorite to win this whole thing.

If my Danes get a draw with the Dutch, it's an easy sail through to the second round, if not, they advance anyway.

Aside from Spain and Brazil, I think England really has the moxie to go deep, final style deep. Just about every player has Champions League experience as of late and they're absolutely cruising. The fact they got a favorable draw also helps. They seem to have the vibe of the Colts. In that they got close so much and finally broke through. If England can avoid the penalties curse they seem to be plagued with, Id not be surprised at all to see them win this time around. Their support will be heavy as well, just because of South Africa.

The Dutch looked slick in qualifying, but so did the English.

And yes, the US has struggled against just about any European team. A draw with England will really go a long way. Root for the win, cheer for the draw. England would treat any draw in this group as a loss.

I have high hopes, but I really don't like our chances at doing much of anything. I think just getting out of the groups will be a success.

I disagree - a weak France will have to go up against the host who will play as hosts do - and Mexico who is pretty even with Uruguay will play tough against them and each other, Argentina draws one of the weakest African teams - a Korean Rep who the coaches last night admittedly had not ever scouted and a Greece who is a shadow of the team who miraculously won the Euro years ago ... no contest imo

But it is a contest. I dont think its cut and dry when Maradona can't coach a lick, the players know it, the fans know it, and just about everyone else knows it. France is still world class personnel wise, and they've got more than enough time to get their sh!t together. France is quarters or better. I would bet on that today. I think Argentina is also a quarterfinalist, just based on that damn draw, BUT I'd take France over Argentina right now and more than likely, again in the summer.

As I said, any other year, I agree, Argentina has the easiest road just based on draw. Not with Maradona though.

Edited by ghdi, 05 December 2009 - 06:01 AM.

#239 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,112 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:50 AM

I had a feeling we would end up with the US.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#240 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:40 PM

http://sportsillustr....html?eref=sihp

GLASGOW, Scotland (AP) -- United States midfielder DaMarcus Beasley's BMW car has been set on fire outside his home in Glasgow.

Police in the Scottish city are continuing to investigate Monday night's incident, which it describes as "willful fireraising."

"Someone blew up my car," Beasley wrote Wednesday on Twitter. "I'm doin ok, just glad no one got hurt."

Beasley, who moved to Glasgow in 2007, added: "In the market for a new car! Lol..Gotta try to find some humor."

Rangers has described it as a "disturbing and deplorable incident."

Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users