337 replies to this topic

#241 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:51 PM

It was probably a Celtic fan (of which I consider myself one, since I'm 1/2 Scottish and the only other realistic choice for an overseas fan is Rangers :puke:) rather than an English World Cup fan, I don't think Scotland fans give two sh!ts about the English football team, though I could be wrong. I think (key word, think :P) they have their own national team that just never makes it, lol. Someone who knows soccer more than me would probably know.

Still, kind of a weird thing to do...crazy Brits.

Edited by RSC, 03 February 2010 - 04:52 PM.

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#242 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:39 PM

On another note, I guess we found out all these years later why John Harkes was removed as captain suddenly before '98. Turns out the England captain this year wasn't the first to sleep around with a teammate's significant other :rolleyes:

#243 losdiablos103

losdiablos103

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:02 AM

On another note, I guess we found out all these years later why John Harkes was removed as captain suddenly before '98. Turns out the England captain this year wasn't the first to sleep around with a teammate's significant other :rolleyes:

That Harksie thing was old news..

"Its Short!!
It's White!!
It smells like Waldo's wife,
It's Harskie's Dickkk!
It's Harskie's Dickkk!!"
Posted Image Posted Image

#244 GermanDevil

GermanDevil

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:31 PM

It was probably a Celtic fan (of which I consider myself one, since I'm 1/2 Scottish and the only other realistic choice for an overseas fan is Rangers :puke:) rather than an English World Cup fan, I don't think Scotland fans give two sh!ts about the English football team, though I could be wrong. I think (key word, think :P) they have their own national team that just never makes it, lol. Someone who knows soccer more than me would probably know.

Still, kind of a weird thing to do...crazy Brits.

Yes they do. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all have their own national soccer team. The last time Scotland qualified for a big tournament was the 1998 world cup, I think. And you're right there is a big rivalry between Scotish and English fans.
TBH England doesn't need to fear the US or one of the other teams in their group. These teams aren't bad, Slovenia beat Russia in the qualification, USA had a great Confed-Cup (as you all should know ;)) and Algeria just beat Ivory Coast in the Africa Cup. But England looked too good in the qualification. It should be a close race for the 2nd place between USA, Slovenia and Algeria though. If USA reaches the next round there's a good chance their next opponent will be Germany.

Edited by GermanDevil, 07 February 2010 - 04:39 PM.

#245 njdevsfn95

njdevsfn95

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:23 AM

Poor performance by the US v the Czechs could probably be summed it by playing players that don't appear in the final roster. The poor performance in the first half v Turkey could be summed up by not having best lineup on the field. The second half was awesome soccer, except for a few minutes, by the US and very encouraging. A team of quality like England is still going to be a massive challenge, but that second half gave me a lot of hope that we can move into the second round.

#246 mxm262

mxm262

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:28 PM

England looked pretty beatable with their performance against Japan. I do like USA's chances of getting to the knock out stage

#247 Cachorro Louco

Cachorro Louco

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:15 PM

Did you guys know USA is gonna play against Brazil in the Meadowlands on August 10, valid for the confederation cup?? Tix are already on sale now starting $50 each.

Posted Image

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose."

Ayrton Senna da Siva

#248 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:05 PM

Did you guys know USA is gonna play against Brazil in the Meadowlands on August 10, valid for the confederation cup?? Tix are already on sale now starting $50 each.

At the end of the first half, exciting action so far. But unfortunately all Brazil, 2-0.

I'm anxious to see how the crowd reacts if or when USA scores.

#249 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:50 PM

Good game -- too bad we didnt score. It great to see the old Brazil again.
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten.

#250 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:46 PM

Missed the game, but caught the highlights.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#251 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:40 AM

Juergen Klinsmann ended negotiations with the U.S. Soccer Federation

Edited by eaglejelly, 21 September 2010 - 08:41 AM.

#252 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:53 AM

I would have loved to seen Beckenbauer be the coach.
Posted Image

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

#253 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:57 AM

I'm willing to give Bradley another go-around.

Yeah, we lost to Ghana, but they at least made it out of the group stages, we're becoming more consistent, just need to start asserting a semblance of power by winning more of those big games

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#254 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,387 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:54 PM

I'm willing to give Bradley another go-around.

Yeah, we lost to Ghana, but they at least made it out of the group stages, we're becoming more consistent, just need to start asserting a semblance of power by winning more of those big games

Making it out of the group stage SHOULD BE A GIVEN barring something really unforeseen. This squad needs to get to a semi
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#255 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,128 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:13 AM

Making it out of the group stage SHOULD BE A GIVEN barring something really unforeseen. This squad needs to get to a semi

Really??

Until the US gets some genuine power up front I don't see it.

Don’t get me wrong everything is moving in the right direction, the emergence of more us players in the top European teams is an indication of that.

But I still think that making it out of the groups stages for the us, while achievable is far from a given.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#256 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:04 PM

did landon donovan ever decide to go to manchester city. i read over the summer they had interest in him

#257 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:38 PM

I think Landon's days of wandering are over .. he knows he's the top dog on la.. he has one more wc in him I think.
Posted Image

#258 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:03 PM

I think Landon's days of wandering are over .. he knows he's the top dog on la.. he has one more wc in him I think.

i think he solidified himself as the best american player ever

#259 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,128 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:30 AM

did landon donovan ever decide to go to manchester city. i read over the summer they had interest in him

I dont think city were ever that interested they had bigger targets

I'm almost certain when the MLS season finnishes Everton will put in another loan bid.

He was instantly a fan favourite up there, and he said he enjoyed playing in the PL and he made an impact.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#260 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:15 AM

I'm almost certain when the MLS season finnishes Everton will put in another loan bid.

He was instantly a fan favourite up there, and he said he enjoyed playing in the PL and he made an impact.

I know but I think he is tired after a full year of soccer and watching him last night, he looked very exhausted and grumpy.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users