46 replies to this topic

#21 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,788 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:42 PM

6'3" 190 out of the BCHL according to TG.

curtis gedig stats

could we get picks 4-7 combined into one thread at least?

Edited by Triumph, 27 June 2009 - 12:44 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#22 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:45 PM

yes

#23 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:48 PM

yes

Are we paying by the thread? :giggle:

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#24 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:49 PM

Are we paying by the thread? :giggle:

one dolla each

#25 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:25 PM

Bernard is an good fighter, I seen him fight twice live and he destroyed the guys. He is native and extremely fast. Not a great 6th rounder but good value at all.

Other then the first two picks this is a poor draft for us.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#26 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,788 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:10 PM

Bernard is an good fighter, I seen him fight twice live and he destroyed the guys. He is native and extremely fast. Not a great 6th rounder but good value at all.

not sure why you say that. i realize the devils didn't really take anyone with huge offensive upside. admittedly, i know nothing about late round prospects, but isn't it possible there weren't many of those players available

#27 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,134 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:30 PM

Its still to ealry to tell like with every draft but i was feeling some what underwhelmed with any of our picks after the second round.

I think in last years draft we possibly grabed absolute steals in the later rounds, players like Young , Nagy, Wholberg with Henrique and Cormier.

Helgeson in the 4th is interesting but Bernard is a waste, fighters just arnt important in the NHL anymore.

I mean all players need to develop and its good the devils have given him a chance, and i hope he can improve and make some sort of career the NHL, but i would rather take somone with scoring abillity with weeknesses rather than a boxer on skates.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#28 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:40 PM

This is just all too similar to the 2004 draft where we went out of our way to draft big defensmen. Ulstrom, Gedig and Helgeson have very little upside as defensmen. Bernard and Rodwell are wastes. Rodwell is a 19 year old who couldn't put up a PPG in the 6th strongest junior league in Canada. The AJHL is below BCHL OJHL, QMJHL, WHL AND OHL.

Last year right after the draft I thought most of the picks were excellent. Wohlberg certainly surprised me in his freshman season.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 27 June 2009 - 02:41 PM.

#29 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,788 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:48 PM

This is just all too similar to the 2004 draft where we went out of our way to draft big defensmen. Ulstrom, Gedig and Helgeson have very little upside as defensmen. Bernard and Rodwell are wastes. Rodwell is a 19 year old who couldn't put up a PPG in the 6th strongest junior league in Canada. The AJHL is below BCHL OJHL, QMJHL, WHL AND OHL.

here's another guy who has no offensive upside:

born 1984

2003-04 Sodertalje SK SEL 42 1 0 1 12 -- -- -- -- --
2004-05 Sodertalje SK SEL 15 0 0 0 4 1 0 0 0 0
2005-06 Sodertalje SK SEL 24 0 0 0 20

guess who?

i wouldn't be so sure that urbom has absolutely no offensive upside. i admit i hated the rodwell pick too, but he did somehow convince north dakota to let him in, so something's up there.

i also think it's almost impossible to find defensemen with serious upside past the 3rd round without making serious gambles (e.g. eckford).

Edited by Triumph, 27 June 2009 - 02:50 PM.

#30 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,505 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:57 PM

Urbom had 16 GP 5 G 6 A and 45 PIM in juniors this season which was, I assume, before he was called up to the main league. The juniors numbers look pretty decent.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#31 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:00 PM

born 1984

guess who?

i wouldn't be so sure that urbom has absolutely no offensive upside. i admit i hated the rodwell pick too, but he did somehow convince north dakota to let him in, so something's up there.

i also think it's almost impossible to find defensemen with serious upside past the 3rd round without making serious gambles (e.g. eckford).

Thats Johnathon Ericsson from the wings. We could only be so lucky if our guy turns out like that
"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

#32 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:17 PM

born 1984

guess who?

Ericsson was a forward prior to being switched over to defense. The atural offensive instincts were there inside him. Plus he is 6`5 and mobile. The odds of that happening are slim to none.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 27 June 2009 - 03:18 PM.

#33 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,788 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:33 PM

Ericsson was a forward prior to being switched over to defense. The atural offensive instincts were there inside him. Plus he is 6`5 and mobile. The odds of that happening are slim to none.

you are noting that he has 1 goal and 0 assists in 81 games, right? those are poor offensive stats for a goaltender - never mind whether he was playing forward or D.

my point isn't to compare urbom to ericsson, it's to indicate that it is damned hard to judge an 18 year old's stats in a men's league, especially defensemen.

Edited by Triumph, 27 June 2009 - 03:34 PM.

#34 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,505 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:45 PM

From TG's blog:

Of Urbom, who was teammates with Josefson on Djurgarden in the Swedish Elite League, Lamoriello said, "With (Swedish scout) Danny (Labraatan), he was very high on the list. It was interesting where he was at. You never know why players slip for different reasons, but we couldn't pass up on him where he was at."

I know a GM isn't going to say bad things about any prospect but Lou let us know they had him rated higher on their draft board, and it sounds like not just higher by 1 or 2 spots.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#35 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:50 PM

From TG's blog:

I know a GM isn't going to say bad things about any prospect but Lou let us know they had him rated higher on their draft board, and it sounds like not just higher by 1 or 2 spots.

+1 :D

Edited by Colin226, 27 June 2009 - 03:54 PM.

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#36 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,505 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:51 PM

In January he was supposedly considered to be competing for a top 10 (some even say top 5) draft spot but had a terrible performance in a major tournament which hurt his stock.. He was playing in the tournament with the flu.. Why anyone would count that against him is beyond me, but their loss is our gain

I think that quote is talking about Urbom, not Josefson.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#37 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:54 PM

I think that quote is talking about Urbom, not Josefson.

Silly me.. I was sure I was in the Josefson thread :doh1:

#38 VivaSaintMartin30

VivaSaintMartin30

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:00 PM

I just hate the fact that we spent a pick on a goon (Bernard). We could've used that pick to move higher in a round 4 and drafted another goalie. Jeff Frazee is the truth, but I'd like to see more in our system. Gerald Coleman (Trenton) could be a prospect for us, trade bait and hopefully we bring back Jordan Parise from Austria.
"It's not just about stopping their shots. It's about breaking their confidence level." - Martin Brodeur

#39 VivaSaintMartin30

VivaSaintMartin30

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:05 PM

born 1984

guess who?

We need stay at home D men who can be physical with mobilty. We have offensive D men in the minors and college (Eckford and Burlon). You must really have hated Dano. Dano was average at best until Lemaire became the coach.
"It's not just about stopping their shots. It's about breaking their confidence level." - Martin Brodeur

#40 VivaSaintMartin30

VivaSaintMartin30

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:11 PM

So you hail the fact that we spent a a pick on a nothing goon, yet kill the draft class because we got big stay at home D men? We have Offensive D men in Lowell and College (Eckford and Burlon). We need big D men who can have mobility. Urbom is a damn good pick. I only wish we drafted one goalie in the fourth (WOW..we could've used that 6 pick to move up and get a real prospect) and another center who can create. However we needed some stay at home D men, we addressed a need.. Aside from Matt Cohen (Trenton), Mark Fraser (Lowell) and Corrente...we had not much in that deparmtent in the system.

Edited by VivaSaintMartin30, 27 June 2009 - 05:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users