32 replies to this topic

#21 UnderDogX

UnderDogX

Graphics Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:02 AM

I've been looking for some summer reading and now, thanks to this thread, am going to pick up a few of Chuck Palahniuk's books...as well as the two by Max Brooks...

Thanks for this thread! :D
'05-'06 Hobey Baker Award Winner (Best Rookie Poster)

*click click* *whistle whistle* "Its my thing, my trademark...its what I do."

#22 Neutral Zone Trap

Neutral Zone Trap

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:16 PM

I didn't mind Brave New World and one of my friend thought that was the REAL dystopia novel - life as it will be soon enough.. but in my mind Ray Bradbury nailed it with Fahrenheit 451 we just need to jump from flat screen to hologram TV and we're there! Though Atlas Shrugged is hitting a nerve these days

All the dysptopian novels makes for great Summer theme reading!
Brave New World
Fahrenheit 451

I guess you could throw in Atlas Shrugged :noclue:
and lots of Vonnegut is dystopian too...

Great reading, may I suggest :-

Heart of darkness/The secret shearer-Joseph Conrad.
Disgrace-J.M.Coetzee (fairly recent)
Cry, The beloved Country-Alan Paton.
Things fall apart-Chinua Achebe.
Helter Skelter-Vincent Bugliosi.
Flowers in the attic-Virginia Andrews (I think there are four books, IMO compelling reading)

#23 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:37 AM

I'm reading Heroin, Nikki Sixx's diary from the '80's when he was strung out on smack. Never a big Crue fan, but it's interesting reading the RnR lifestyle.

In the middle of that I ripped through Driven To Kill, about Westley Allan Dodd, who molested many kids, eventually murdering three. One he molested and tortured for over a day before killing him.

Did you read "The Dirt"...its the Motley Crue story as told by them. It is brilliant. Some of the most disgusting low-lifes ever in an awesome fun way.

I'm reading Too Fat To Fish by Arty Lange...thats pretty good.
Posted Image

#24 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:05 PM

Did you read "The Dirt"...its the Motley Crue story as told by them. It is brilliant. Some of the most disgusting low-lifes ever in an awesome fun way.

No.

Never been intrigued by them, I liked Priest and Maiden much more. I'm only reding this because it was given to me. But it is interesting. Makes you really root for people to overcome their inner demons.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#25 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:36 PM

No.

Never been intrigued by them, I liked Priest and Maiden much more. I'm only reding this because it was given to me. But it is interesting. Makes you really root for people to overcome their inner demons.

Yeah i can't name more than to Motley Crue songs, but the book is a great read.
Posted Image

#26 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:19 PM

Hey -- I decide to read Lord Jim (Conrad) -- it was free on fictionwise. I am still reading Mort (Pratchett) too.

It's just fun see what others are reading.

I'm here for the party

#27 South Jersey Devs Fan

South Jersey Devs Fan

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 11:28 PM

Since I get enough reality in my day to day world I only read fiction books--specifically fantasy (usually lumped with Science-Fiction). Anything written by either Jim Butcher (he's become famous for his Dresden books--a mondern day wizard in Chicago--really well written) or Guy Gavriel Kay--simply an amazing author--I'd recommend a book called Tigana as a first read of his stuff.
Posted Image
"Martin Brodeur is the gold standard of goaltending -- the model of character, consistency and commitment to the craft. A champion. A winner above all.

"It is difficult to imagine any player who is more universally, and deservedly, respected. The National Hockey League is extremely proud of Martin, his historic achievement and his enduring contribution to our game."

#28 RockingTheRed81

RockingTheRed81

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:08 AM

Some Stephen King books are good reads too....i suggest any of his short story collections
Posted Image

Posted Image

#29 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:26 AM

I suggest Robert McCammon

Swan Song, The Wolf's Hour, Stinger were all excellent
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#30 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:27 PM

I suggest Robert McCammon

Swan Song, The Wolf's Hour, Stinger were all excellent

good choices jimmy - real old school
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten. "Starbuck, what do you hear? ... Nothing but the rain...

"Look for my coming, at first light on the fifth day, at dawn, look to the East"

"I have the libido of a 15-year-old boy. " - Megan Fox

- Proud njdevs keeper of the Boss' Sold Out banner at the CAA -

#31 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:51 PM

Last year I got on a real Richard Price kick - Clockers, Lush Life being the ones that have received the most attention. His first published work, The Wanderers, is also damn good.

Also read the two most recent books by Erik Larson - Devil in the White City (fan-freakin'-tastic) and Thunderstruck (okay, but a letdown after the great DWC book).

This year I've taken to Cormac McCarthy - obviously The Road, and also All the Pretty Horses. I started reading The Crossing, but lost my momentum... hopefully I'll find it again soon, but it definitely drags more than APH.

Most recently I just finished reading "The Code" and I'm not sure what's coming next for me. I picked up a Richard Price novel for cheap but I can't recall its title.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#32 nmadd

nmadd

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:29 PM

I'm in the midst of reading all the books in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series yet again. These are so good, I'd definitely recommend them to all. On deck after that is George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones. I've never read any of his books but am looking forward to it.

#33 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:09 PM

I just got back from Hawaii, so naturally with all of the travel and days at the beach I did quite a bit of reading... I REALLY suggest:

Tweak: Nic Sheff
Beautiful Boy: David Sheff

they're both the same story told from different points of view, about a kid growing up addicted to meth. One is from the kid's point of view, the other from the dad's. Absolutely gut-wrenching, you want to stop reading because some of the stuff makes your stomache knot but it's virtually impossible to set the books down.

I also suggest reading a series of memoirs from Frank McCourt, "Angela's Ashes", "'Tis", and "Teacher Man"... they were great stories-- it basically follows McCourt through his life growing up dirt-poor in Ireland at 4 years old to coming over to America as a teenager and the hardships he faced, then trying to make his way in America. The way he writes is addicting.. he does everything from a first-person point of view.. says what he's thinking and everything. I loved them.

I also read Persuit of Happyness (book is 10x better than the movie), and "It" by Stephen King. All great books.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users