151 replies to this topic

#41 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 05:47 PM

I think getting Koivu would help alot. Mostly cause he would most likely be centering Elias and Elias has not had a good playmaking center since Gomez. Even without a good playmaker Elias has put up good points. I think Koivu would solidify the top 2 lines very well.

#42 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:01 PM

This guy has a choice between playing with his brother, or playing with his good friend Teemu in ANA.

If we're going to lure him over, we're either going to need to use years or a ridonkulus one year deal that will make people pass out.

Why else would he come here?

...maybe I'm wrong, but I feel Saku may want to come to New Jersey because of the small market, after playing over a decade in a place like Montreal. I also feel the longer this goes on, the more it may very well favor the Devils. Let's face it... there's no bigger bargaining chip than family. (just ask Nied's & Brent) Tommorrow is now the 4th day into free agency... why would he wait so long in the first place? If he wanted to play with his brother, wouldn't he have signed w/the Wild by now? And as far as Teemu goes, he's going to play with him one way or another next season anyway. (olympics) I can't see him going to the Ducks for Selanne & Selanne alone. New Jersey is (imo) a better team, where he'll play a bigger role, and it's alot closer to Montreal to boot.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#43 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:08 PM

...maybe I'm wrong, but I feel Saku may want to come to New Jersey because of the small market, after playing over a decade in a place like Montreal. I also feel the longer this goes on, the more it may very well favor the Devils. Let's face it... there's no bigger bargaining chip than family. (just ask Nied's & Brent) Tommorrow is now the 4th day into free agency... why would he wait so long in the first place? If he wanted to play with his brother, wouldn't he have signed w/the Wild by now? And as far as Teemu goes, he's going to play with him one way or another next season anyway. (olympics) I can't see him going to the Ducks for Selanne & Selanne alone. New Jersey is (imo) a better team, where he'll play a bigger role, and it's alot closer to Montreal to boot.

Small Market = Anaheim (a lot smaller than NJ)
I can see the camaraderie of Teemu being the only other driving factor beyond Mikko. I think the hold being the Ducks working out their RFA's and still considering :
a.) Possibly bringing back Beauch, if his expectations finally get real
b.) Finding something to do with Puffy (god knows what)
I would say that maybe minus the Marty factor that ANA is pretty even w/NJ. Perhaps even a bit better,
The fact that we haven't beat them in 2 years speaks volumes I believe as well, in addition to the fact that they have been deeper into the playoffs than us in both 07, 08 (equally) and 09 ....
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#44 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:21 PM

Let's face it... there's no bigger bargaining chip than family. (just ask Nied's & Brent) Tommorrow is now the 4th day into free agency... why would he wait so long in the first place? If he wanted to play with his brother, wouldn't he have signed w/the Wild by now?

Nieds waited a few days to sign with Anaheim because even though he had already decided to play with his brother, he was playing the Devils and the Ducks off each other to get as much money from the Ducks as possible. Don't be surprised if that's what Koivu's doing.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#45 USC09

USC09

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:23 PM

I would like Koivu, because of his leadership and character and his perseverance. I will defend Koivu, because many people thought he would never be the same after his battle with stomach cancer, but he beat the odds and has become a better player and person. But he would be a nice addition to our hockey club and I know he will be very passionate and David Conte preaches personality more than anything along with Lou. Koivu said there is no time table for his decision, so I think we will have to wait til Sunday or Monday to find out where he lands.

#46 Troy from NJ

Troy from NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:26 PM

Nieds waited a few days to sign with Anaheim because even though he had already decided to play with his brother, he was playing the Devils and the Ducks off each other to get as much money from the Ducks as possible. Don't be surprised if that's what Koivu's doing.

This.
"What's the difference between a catfish and Rangers Fan?
One is a low life bottom feeder that lives on the feces of others. The other is a fish"

Official Keeper of THE BUD LIGHT GOAL BAR
Posted Image

#47 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,936 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:36 PM

I could have sworn he was trying to get the Ducks to sign Rob long-term before he'd sign with them...I do remember Rob signing a four-year deal like two million per at the same time.

I don't know what Koivu's doing but doubt we're getting him or that it's even feasible to give him a three or four-year deal. He would be a nice addition though.

Edited by Hasan4978, 03 July 2009 - 06:38 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#48 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:40 PM

how could he play the Devils off the Ducks when the Devils immediately offered him the max money possible?

I think the whole thing was the pull of family vs. the max.

#49 Vinnie

Vinnie

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:13 PM

Well let's get real on one point. Signing Koivu for multiple years is not the death knell for Martin's Devil career. Pandolfo, Zubrus, and Salvador (8.8M [!!!]) would all be sent packing before Lou risked letting Martin walk away.

#50 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:38 PM

Well let's get real on one point. Signing Koivu for multiple years is not the death knell for Martin's Devil career. Pandolfo, Zubrus, and Salvador (8.8M [!!!]) would all be sent packing before Lou risked letting Martin walk away.

yea where are they going, pango pango? the devils have 44.3 committed in 2010-11 to 14 players. martin's walking if we sign koivu for more than a year. there is no way vanderbeek is letting lou stash more than one contract in the minors. and few teams have spots available to just hide contracts.

[obligatory comment about how zubrus is only overpaid by $1 million and is irreplaceable given the devils' current situation]

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#51 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:44 PM

yea where are they going, pango pango? the devils have 44.3 committed in 2010-11 to 14 players. martin's walking if we sign koivu for more than a year. there is no way vanderbeek is letting lou stash more than one contract in the minors. and few teams have spots available to just hide contracts.

[obligatory comment about how zubrus is only overpaid by $1 million and is irreplaceable given the devils' current situation]

I'm not sure where Pango, Pango is, or what there formal team name is, but I can already attest to:
1.) There GM knows more than ours
2.) There goalie is much more clutch than ours
3.) The don't have the "standards of excellence, and tradition of winning" that has been magically bestowed on NJ
:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#52 Vinnie

Vinnie

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:52 PM

Salvador and Zubrus could be traded and Pandolfo would have to be waived. Koivu isn't really worth tapdancing around the cap, but it could be done. Anyway, Lou isn't going to sign Koivu at the expense of Martin.

#53 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:56 PM

Salvador and Zubrus could be traded and Pandolfo would have to be waived. Koivu isn't really worth tapdancing around the cap, but it could be done. Anyway, Lou isn't going to sign Koivu at the expense of Martin.

my point is that there is nowhere to trade these guys unless we are also packaging assets along with them (e.g. salvador and zharkov for a phoenix 7th). if the salary cap goes down next year many teams are screwed, there's others who are close to screwed, there's toronto, and then there's the teams too broke to take on more contracts beyond what they've got on their plate.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#54 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:04 PM

Brian Pothier makes $2.5 million. Mike Van Ryn makes $2.9. Jim Vandermeer 2.3....Jason Smith 2.6...Ward 2.5. I think some team could take him in a year or two without the Devils having to give up a prospect.

Although...the more I think of this contract...the more I realize how bad it is. I didn't know Bryce was 33 already. Lou really had an ugly off-season last year.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#55 metallidevils

metallidevils

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:36 PM

I hope Koivu is signed to a one year deal just because with him as a solid center we can still avoid mediocrity, if the AHLers play well. No use signing him long term because we're really screwed until Rolston is gone anyway, so no use dismantling the team over him.
"We had our chances. But Martin Brodeur is a hell of a player."
Posted Image
Posted Image of "It's a power play goal! F*** you Sam Rosen!"

#56 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:45 PM

Lou mentioned at the draft that Josefson may be ready to rock as early as next year. I agree to try to sign koivu to a one year contract but saku wants more security than that. I think he'll make an immediate contribution between elias/bergfors.

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#57 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:50 PM

I want koivu but if its true that we'll lose Martin if we sign him then no thanks koviu.
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#58 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:02 PM

why would he want to play in nj?
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten. "Starbuck, what do you hear? ... Nothing but the rain...

"Look for my coming, at first light on the fifth day, at dawn, look to the East"

"I have the libido of a 15-year-old boy. " - Megan Fox

- Proud njdevs keeper of the Boss' Sold Out banner at the CAA -

#59 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:04 PM

why would he want to play in nj?

a legitimate shot at the cup?

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#60 metallidevils

metallidevils

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:12 PM

a legitimate shot at the cup?

It's pretty widely accepted here that this team is 'being built for the future'. We're saving up to sign our own players in a few years. We can't possibly sign koivu for more than one year, and, just looking at all 30 teams for this one season, the devils aren't going to be at the top of the list to win the cup. if he was to sign a one year deal with a team hoping to win the cup, it wouldn't be with NJ. this isn't a team built for 'right now'.

Edited by metallidevils, 03 July 2009 - 11:14 PM.

"We had our chances. But Martin Brodeur is a hell of a player."
Posted Image
Posted Image of "It's a power play goal! F*** you Sam Rosen!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users