32 replies to this topic

#21 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:05 AM

Lou really isn't tight with his money at all.

Good one!

#22 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,587 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:07 AM

Lou really isn't tight with his money at all.

Good one!

this is a better one. let's just ignore the last 4 years and omg remember when he let doug gilmour walk! or the claude lemieux trade! or about all the salary cap room he's 'wasting' this year to actually have a shot at re-signing paul martin, the devils' most important player behind parise and brodeur?

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#23 bg.

bg.

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:44 AM

If he is saving room for Martin, he should sign him now.

Price a year from now is never less than it would be now.

#24 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:54 PM

Paul Martin and his agent know that, too. They'd much rather cash in.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#25 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:37 PM

[/quote]

this to me is a blatant untruth - lou spent like a sailor after the lockout, put himself in a terrible bind if patrik elias returned in 2005-06 (which he did, forcing lou to stash $5 million in salary in albany), put himself in a worse bind when he re-upped elias in the offseason of 06 (forcing him to trade away a 1st round pick to hide malakhov's salary, and once again throwing dan mcgillis in the minors), and disposed of richard matvichuk in the minors in 2008. no one spent more money than lou lams the first two years of the cap.

sather is going this way soon - aaron voros should probably look into an apartment in the downtown hartford area. wade redden should look into it next year. it's the benefit of being a high-income team - the rangers can sign whomever they want and whatever doesn't work, they just flush away to hartford.

but slats has plenty of money to sign what he likes, still. the rangers are walking away from zherdev, the lisin trade confirms it - lisin is a low-rent zherdev. the rangers are not forced into making a trade.
[/quote]

To me this commentary is a blatant untruth. Lou had no choice but to spend because he was stunned when he lost Niedermayer to Anahiem and Elias contracted hep A. Losing Niedermayer, along with Stevens, Dano meant that he had to rebuild the Defense from scratch and he acted quickly in signing the three best players available at the time (this includes resigning Rafi). In hindsight, it didn't work out.

If Nieds stays and Elias is healthy, Lou does nothing on the market. This was an aberration based on specific circumstances at the time

In regards to the Rangers, Sather has NO CAP SPACE to sign anyone but low end players since signing Gaborik. He maybe forced to buy out Redden or Rozival to make space.

Edited by MantaRay, 14 July 2009 - 08:39 PM.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#26 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:27 PM

Paul Martin and his agent know that, too. They'd much rather cash in.

Hopefully Lou can somehow convince them to sign now.
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#27 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,994 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:36 PM

Manta, you make good points but after Lou signed Zubrus and to a bigger extent Rolston I think it proves any arguement of Lou having deep pockets and short arms wrong. We had money to spend on Zubrus because Gomez left, but we got into a bidding war with over half the NHL in signing Rolston when we didn't have to, we added him and lost nothing.

#28 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:23 AM

Manta, you make good points but after Lou signed Zubrus and to a bigger extent Rolston I think it proves any arguement of Lou having deep pockets and short arms wrong. We had money to spend on Zubrus because Gomez left, but we got into a bidding war with over half the NHL in signing Rolston when we didn't have to, we added him and lost nothing.

Rolston signed for less to play in NJ because his wife is from here. Center was and is still our biggest need. Rolston was a good signing, don't be discouraged by last years injury plagued season
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#29 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,994 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:53 AM

Rolston signed for less to play in NJ because his wife is from here. Center was and is still our biggest need. Rolston was a good signing, don't be discouraged by last years injury plagued season

So your saying spending money doesn't count if it's a good signing? I didn't say anything in my last post other then say Lou hasn't been tight with his money.

#30 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:21 AM

[/quote]
So your saying spending money doesn't count if it's a good signing? I didn't say anything in my last post other then say Lou hasn't been tight with his money.
[/quote]

No, I think Lou has been quite responsible with his money.

Typically he doesn't participate in the UFA game, unless we lose something that puts a hole in the middle of the team. (Nieds and Gomez). He doesn't spend for the sake of spending, he has a foundation and if one of the bigger pieces abruptly moves out of that foundation, he seeks to replace it via trade, or if there is no trade market than UFA route.

Usually, these have backfired (3M's, Zubrus), so I think he is probably looking to do more trading, now that he is finally getting some assets.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#31 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,994 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:41 AM

No, I think Lou has been quite responsible with his money.

? That's been my point. I have been arguing that Lou will spend his money when he has too.

Typically he doesn't participate in the UFA game, unless we lose something that puts a hole in the middle of the team. (Nieds and Gomez). He doesn't spend for the sake of spending, he has a foundation and if one of the bigger pieces abruptly moves out of that foundation, he seeks to replace it via trade, or if there is no trade market than UFA route.

yeah...

Usually, these have backfired (3M's, Zubrus), so I think he is probably looking to do more trading, now that he is finally getting some assets.

To say Zubrus backfired is something we could argue about all day but that's not the point.

#32 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:01 AM

So we are on the same page then in regards to Lou.

Zubrus- IMHO is a waste of roster space, good 4th line player, making 2nd line type of $.

but that is my opinion.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#33 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,587 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:15 AM

So we are on the same page then in regards to Lou.

Zubrus- IMHO is a waste of roster space, good 4th line player, making 2nd line type of $.

but that is my opinion.

you're not on the same page regarding zubrus or lou. dp26 is claiming that lou spends money, you are saying that lou doesn't. i say - your argument about niedermayer and the 3 Ms is not true. if the devils sign niedermayer in 2005, they have a defense of niedermayer, colin white, david hale, paul martin, richard matvichuk, and sean brown. i don't see the devils going out there with this defense. and alexander mogilny was signed in august of 05, putting the devils in clear cap trouble even without patrik elias's return - the devils had to trade jeff friesen just to get under the cap. they were over during all of training camp.

and dp26 was clearly claiming that zubrus isn't a waste of roster space. but since all of you armchair GMs seem to think lou could've gotten something better out of the center class of 2007, hammer away.

Edited by Triumph, 15 July 2009 - 10:16 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users