32 replies to this topic

#1 USC09

USC09

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:23 PM

The Rangers will enjoy seeing their best penalty killing in the NHL diminish with this move, they lose Sjostrom, Betts, and now trade Korpikoski for Enver Lisin.

#2 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:24 PM

Link?

also what did they get in return? They did not have a place for him and not enough room to resign him possibly as well. Not a bad move but he is still getting better, may come back to haunt them.

#3 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:27 PM

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=284663
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#4 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:27 PM

Im slow :(

Edited by aylbert, 13 July 2009 - 08:28 PM.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#5 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:28 PM

sure seems like a terrible trade on its face. i do enjoy when the rangers and coyotes get together to make moves - you never know which one is dumber.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#6 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,916 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:29 PM

Well, apparently they also came to a deal with Callahan at 2.2 and 2.4 million for two years. That seems a bit high, no?

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#7 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:30 PM

Another case of Don Maloney moving some of those supposed assets in Phoenix for guys he drafted for the rangers.
"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

#8 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:30 PM

Well... that is a strange trade. Exchanging unsigned RFAs with Korpikoski having higher career potential.

#9 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:35 PM

Well, apparently they also came to a deal with Callahan at 2.2 and 2.4 million for two years. That seems a bit high, no?

hey i figured out the multi-quote function on this board. only took me like 3 years. anyway, no, i don't think it's that high. i had callahan at 2.25, 2.75

Another case of Don Maloney moving some of those supposed assets in Phoenix for guys he drafted for the rangers.

lisin might be zherdev insurance - i don't really get this deal from either side. i'm not convinced of lisin's upside, and the rangers are quickly sloughing away their bottom two lines - lisin seems like an afinogenov type who might break out, but is more likely to bust. maybe they re-sign betts now?

Edited by Triumph, 13 July 2009 - 08:35 PM.

#10 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:38 PM

Maybe Coyotes will reunite Prucha-Korpikoski-Dawes. They were a good line for the Rangers. Not a good line...but good enough for the Rangers.

Wow...Lisin is a -36 in 78 games...Have fun with that.

Edited by Vic Rattlehead18, 13 July 2009 - 08:41 PM.

Devils.

#11 Rangerfans

Rangerfans

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:48 PM

hey i figured out the multi-quote function on this board. only took me like 3 years. anyway, no, i don't think it's that high. i had callahan at 2.25, 2.75

lisin might be zherdev insurance - i don't really get this deal from either side. i'm not convinced of lisin's upside, and the rangers are quickly sloughing away their bottom two lines - lisin seems like an afinogenov type who might break out, but is more likely to bust. maybe they re-sign betts now?

Unfortunately, I don't think Bettsy will be rejoining the Rangers (sadly). Rumor has it that Renney is going to want him in Edmonton.

If there is one thing that made our PK strong it was Betts and Freddie. Alas, I believe both will be gone. While we had such a pitiful PP, it was nice to have a strong PK...

...I highly doubt we'll be as successful in that department.

On the trade note: Was never a big fan of Korpedo. I think Lisin may have more of an offensive talent, but Korp may be the better "overall" player.

In my opinion, the trade isn't really a huge impact either way. We'll see what happens. I'm rather indifferent.

#12 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,916 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:52 PM

On the trade note: Was never a big fan of Korpedo.

You did lose one of your better nicknames, though. Korpedo is top-notch stuff there.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#13 Rangerfans

Rangerfans

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:55 PM

You did lose one of your better nicknames, though. Korpedo is top-notch stuff there.

Couldn't agree more. Now we're stuck with...

"Dubi"

...God, that's so weak.

#14 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:12 PM

"Dubi"

...God, that's so weak.

Isn't that the nickname of the backup goalie for Islanders who jumped ship asap? Dubliewitz?
Devils.

#15 USAkid90

USAkid90

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:25 PM

The Rangers potentially got a steal if he pans outs..korpedo (a cool nickname) wasn't gonna be anything more than a 3rd liner

I don't think the trade is stupid..it's a good gamble IMO

#16 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,027 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:05 AM

<!--quoteo(post=783986:date=Jul 13 2009, 09:55 PM:name=Rangerfans)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rangerfans @ Jul 13 2009, 09:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=783986"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=783984:date=Jul 13 2009, 09:52 PM:name=thelastonealive)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thelastonealive @ Jul 13 2009, 09:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=783984"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=783983:date=Jul 13 2009, 09:48 PM:name=Rangerfans)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rangerfans @ Jul 13 2009, 09:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=783983"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On the trade note: Was never a big fan of Korpedo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"Dubi"

...God, that's so weak.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Isn't that the nickname of the backup goalie for Islanders who jumped ship asap? Dubliewitz?

Dubielwicz, yeah. Ranger fans call Dubinsky 'Dubie' as well.

This Callahan signing leaves the Rangers with 8 million in cap space. They need to sign a few more RFA's plus a defenseman. Must be a trade coming.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#17 Rangerfans

Rangerfans

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:55 AM

This Callahan signing leaves the Rangers with 8 million in cap space. They need to sign a few more RFA's plus a defenseman. Must be a trade coming.

Please let it be Rozi or Redden, thanks:)

Hell, if you go waaaaay back, I was so against the Redden deal it wasn't even funny. In my opinion both GMs are polar opposites: Sather is unbelievably dumb when it comes to salaries. It's like giving a teenager booze, some money, and your car keys. Meanwhile, (no offense) Lou is unbelievably tight with his money. Almost too much.

But obviously I'd rather have a tight ass than a loose ass any day...

....wut

#18 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:00 AM

Lou really isn't tight with his money at all.

#19 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:02 AM

Please let it be Rozi or Redden, thanks:)

Hell, if you go waaaaay back, I was so against the Redden deal it wasn't even funny. In my opinion both GMs are polar opposites: Sather is unbelievably dumb when it comes to salaries. It's like giving a teenager booze, some money, and your car keys. Meanwhile, (no offense) Lou is unbelievably tight with his money. Almost too much.

But obviously I'd rather have a tight ass than a loose ass any day...

....wut

this to me is a blatant untruth - lou spent like a sailor after the lockout, put himself in a terrible bind if patrik elias returned in 2005-06 (which he did, forcing lou to stash $5 million in salary in albany), put himself in a worse bind when he re-upped elias in the offseason of 06 (forcing him to trade away a 1st round pick to hide malakhov's salary, and once again throwing dan mcgillis in the minors), and disposed of richard matvichuk in the minors in 2008. no one spent more money than lou lams the first two years of the cap.

sather is going this way soon - aaron voros should probably look into an apartment in the downtown hartford area. wade redden should look into it next year. it's the benefit of being a high-income team - the rangers can sign whomever they want and whatever doesn't work, they just flush away to hartford.

but slats has plenty of money to sign what he likes, still. the rangers are walking away from zherdev, the lisin trade confirms it - lisin is a low-rent zherdev. the rangers are not forced into making a trade.

Edited by Triumph, 14 July 2009 - 11:03 AM.

#20 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:05 AM

this to me is a blatant untruth - lou spent like a sailor after the lockout, put himself in a terrible bind if patrik elias returned in 2005-06 (which he did, forcing lou to stash $5 million in salary in albany), put himself in a worse bind when he re-upped elias in the offseason of 06 (forcing him to trade away a 1st round pick to hide malakhov's salary, and once again throwing dan mcgillis in the minors), and disposed of richard matvichuk in the minors in 2008. no one spent more money than lou lams the first two years of the cap.

sather is going this way soon - aaron voros should probably look into an apartment in the downtown hartford area. wade redden should look into it next year. it's the benefit of being a high-income team - the rangers can sign whomever they want and whatever doesn't work, they just flush away to hartford.

but slats has plenty of money to sign what he likes, still. the rangers are walking away from zherdev, the lisin trade confirms it - lisin is a low-rent zherdev. the rangers are not forced into making a trade.

Yeah and that doesn't even include Zubrus or Rolston.

Edited by Devils Pride 26, 14 July 2009 - 11:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users