66 replies to this topic

#1 RockingTheRed81

RockingTheRed81

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:30 AM

I was surprised that one of these wasn't created already so i decided to start one. What did everyone think of UFC 100? Can UFC make become mainstream liek other sports? Who's looking forward to UFC 101? Who can beat Lesnar? What do you guys think?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,821 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:46 AM

I think Lesnar might be the guy to elevate this company into the mainstream.... he's got the legit training obviously... but the WWE stuff has also taught him how to be a SHOWMAN too... and this is what UFC needed and HAD to have to get to that next level...that guy that people can get behind and love or just HATE... in this cause it's the bad guy that no one can touch....

I hope it does...I have to admit MMA is fun to watch... I watch the WEC stuff all the time
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#3 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:14 AM

I thought Lesnar proved that it is going to take a huge feat to take him out. He doesn't just win, he dominated. I mean, even when he lost, he was dominating that match. I look forward to a Couter rematch, and eventually, one day, the Fedor-Lesnar match Dana White is dreaming of. As much as White hated it, that post match promo is the stuff ratings are made of.

Also, the Bisbing knock out was the greatest thing I've seen since Gonzaga knocked out Crocop. They were touting Bisbing as 'never being knocked out' and Henderson unloaded on him.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#4 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,821 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:50 PM

I thought Lesnar proved that it is going to take a huge feat to take him out. He doesn't just win, he dominated. I mean, even when he lost, he was dominating that match. I look forward to a Couter rematch, and eventually, one day, the Fedor-Lesnar match Dana White is dreaming of. As much as White hated it, that post match promo is the stuff ratings are made of.

The only thing Dana White had to be mad about was Brocky crapped on the sponsors... the rest and Brock using a classic WWE Heel personna in the UFC... it's got MONEY written all over it... the next big thing has arrived... again!

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

#5 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:57 PM

The only thing Dana White had to be mad about was Brocky crapped on the sponsors... the rest and Brock using a classic WWE Heel personna in the UFC... it's got MONEY written all over it... the next big thing has arrived... again!

White also claims he isn't in to that whole scene. He doesn't like the unsportsmanship from Lesnar. But, honestly, it will make him a whole lot of money. Let White say whatever he wants about it, it just makes Brock look like more of a rebel.

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 14 July 2009 - 12:57 PM.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#6 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:05 PM

Hopefully Fedor goes to the UFC after his contract expires in August.

Fedor vs Brock would be massive.

#7 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:25 PM

I'm not sure if Lesnar will work out. He is hated universally it seems by UFC fans, and if no one thinks he is going to lose, I'm not sure how much interest there will to watch him squash opponents, especially one that everyone hates.

UFC is different than WWE and I think a lot of the fans are too.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#8 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,821 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:29 PM

I'm not sure if Lesnar will work out. He is hated universally it seems by UFC fans, and if no one thinks he is going to lose, I'm not sure how much interest there will to watch him squash opponents, especially one that everyone hates.

it worka in boxing too... cases in point with Mayweather and even Tyson to an extent.... this is the kinda thing that sports is all about... people love to hate the super big guy on top, regardless of sport

#9 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:44 PM

I highly and completely disagree. A LOT of UFC/MMA's core audience are former wrestling fans, a lot of them still watch both.

People will watch just in the hopes of seeing Brock lose and that will get PPV buys. He was disliked since the moment he went to the UFC and he's even more disliked now. What they need now is a legit "good guy" heavyweight. I dunno if Fedor can be that because he's Russian.

Brock as a "heel" will bring even more bank to the UFC.

Dana did the right thing chastising him, but you know that he's over the moon right now.

Im looking forward to seeing Bobby Lashley get to the UFC. He's had a couple of fights in other promotions and is apparently picking it up as quickly as Brock did. I just hope they don't let him talk.

#10 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:42 PM

Brock is just too big and too driven to be beaten right now.

I'm not sure if your best bet attacking him is to test his chin or to try and catch his arm and lock on a submission. His ground game is unbeatable by anyone in UFC right now based on sheer size, and he'll get even scarier as the months pass. But if I recall correctly, he hasn't fought a knockout artist in the prime of their career yet, so I'd be interested in seeing that.

Or you could wait for him to try for the Shooting Star Press off the cage and choke him out when he falls on his head. :lol:
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#11 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:55 PM

Will they rebroadcast UFC 100 on regular cable? If so, when and on what channel?

Edited by 95Crash, 14 July 2009 - 03:56 PM.

#12 Nature's Minister

Nature's Minister

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:13 PM

I think Fedor or Overeem would stand a chance against Brock. It'd just be a matter of signing them to the UFC. As far as people currently in the UFC go, maybe Shane Carwin?
Is that a Japanese configuration?

#13 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:11 PM

Will they rebroadcast UFC 100 on regular cable? If so, when and on what channel?

Really unlikely. The UFC uses DVDs to push reruns, just as the WWE does.

IMO it wasn't that good of a UFC. There were a few good fights, but even the Brock fight wasnt very good.

#14 RockingTheRed81

RockingTheRed81

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:44 PM

I highly and completely disagree. A LOT of UFC/MMA's core audience are former wrestling fans, a lot of them still watch both.

People will watch just in the hopes of seeing Brock lose and that will get PPV buys. He was disliked since the moment he went to the UFC and he's even more disliked now. What they need now is a legit "good guy" heavyweight. I dunno if Fedor can be that because he's Russian.

Brock as a "heel" will bring even more bank to the UFC.

Dana did the right thing chastising him, but you know that he's over the moon right now.

Im looking forward to seeing Bobby Lashley get to the UFC. He's had a couple of fights in other promotions and is apparently picking it up as quickly as Brock did. I just hope they don't let him talk.

IMO UFC is going to be much bigger than WWE in the future. I love WWE, but people want to see real fighting. UFC also does not repeat matches as often as WWE does (ex. Triple H vs. Orton). This ppv really helped push UFC more into the mainstream. It even got discussed on ESPN. But anyway how sick would Lesnar vs. Lashley be? You'd get WWE and UFC fans to buy it. White would love it
Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:01 AM

I think Fedor or Overeem would stand a chance against Brock. It'd just be a matter of signing them to the UFC. As far as people currently in the UFC go, maybe Shane Carwin?

Carwin is one of the few people that are Lesnar's size and as dominating. He is 11-0, and none of his matches have gone past the 1st round. I mean, this would be a hell of a match. Carwin is coming off a win over Gonzaga. He faces Cain Valezquez at UFC 104 in October, and the winner faces Lesnar.

#16 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:22 AM

IMO UFC is going to be much bigger than WWE in the future. I love WWE, but people want to see real fighting. UFC also does not repeat matches as often as WWE does (ex. Triple H vs. Orton). This ppv really helped push UFC more into the mainstream. It even got discussed on ESPN. But anyway how sick would Lesnar vs. Lashley be? You'd get WWE and UFC fans to buy it. White would love it

Disagree again.

UFC has a long way to go catching up to the WWE in two regards:

1. International business. The UFC has a lot more competition than WWE does overseas. UFC doesn't run in as nearly as many places as the WWE will go.
2. KIDS. This is the big one. UFC does not and will never cater to kids. WWE always has and always will. A WWE audience is far more diverse than an MMA one as well, you'll see all age groups represented in any WWE audience.

WWE is totally different ballgame. Its got more in common with Beverly Hills 90210 than it does UFC IMO. They can get away with HHH vs Orton 934 times because the belief is already suspended by most viewers. I dont watch wrestling for the same reasons I watch UFC. I watch WWE for the same reasons my wife will watch crappy soap operas.

What I do see happening is WWE being a bridge to the UFC, which is already in place. Meaning that kids who grow up watching WWE, will more than likely start watching MMA someday.

UFC is also a "real" sport, thats why it gets covered on mainstream sporting outlets. WWE is not. The WWE's "best" also "fight" on a weekly basis for the most part and they do so many more dates than UFC. Its not like UFC where the champs only fight every few months, the exposure a UFC star gets is a lot less than say a Triple H or John Cena, amongst others, even if a major UFC fight gets some notoriety on ESPN once in a while. Cena is on TV at least once or twice a week and on PPV once a month.

What the UFC needs is more drama, not scripted like WWE, but real drama, like what Lesnar did the other night. That gets people involved and interested, same as w/ major championship boxing. Ali was the greatest not just because of in-ring, but because of his mouth.

Edited by ghdi, 15 July 2009 - 09:34 AM.

#17 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,821 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:44 AM

Personally I've always seen the UFC as the evolution and replacement for what boxing is, the concept is similar except you use more then just your fists to pummel your opponent and it's what I like much about it

but I am drawn to sports that are violent :P

#18 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:46 AM

As someone who thinks WWE is stupid as hell, I'm starting to get hooked on all this MMA stuff. MMA is catching on fast among us high school aged kids.

#19 RockingTheRed81

RockingTheRed81

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:52 PM

What I do see happening is WWE being a bridge to the UFC, which is already in place. Meaning that kids who grow up watching WWE, will more than likely start watching MMA someday.

UFC is also a "real" sport, thats why it gets covered on mainstream sporting outlets. WWE is not. The WWE's "best" also "fight" on a weekly basis for the most part and they do so many more dates than UFC. Its not like UFC where the champs only fight every few months, the exposure a UFC star gets is a lot less than say a Triple H or John Cena, amongst others, even if a major UFC fight gets some notoriety on ESPN once in a while. Cena is on TV at least once or twice a week and on PPV once a month.

What the UFC needs is more drama, not scripted like WWE, but real drama, like what Lesnar did the other night. That gets people involved and interested, same as w/ major championship boxing. Ali was the greatest not just because of in-ring, but because of his mouth.

Ah your right. I completely forgot about overseas and the children audience. Also i have to agree with your point that WWE will be a bridge for UFC and that UFC needs more drama
Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 Nature's Minister

Nature's Minister

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:33 PM

Carwin is one of the few people that are Lesnar's size and as dominating. He is 11-0, and none of his matches have gone past the 1st round. I mean, this would be a hell of a match. Carwin is coming off a win over Gonzaga. He faces Cain Valezquez at UFC 104 in October, and the winner faces Lesnar.

Lesnar is a much better wrestler in my estimation, but Carwin has more knockout power. If it goes to the ground I would think Brock would win rather easily, but if Carwin would knock him out standing up.
Is that a Japanese configuration?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users