So, Who's Left?

Triumph

Im not so sure its how teams view Moore thats the problem, its how Moore views himself. He put up career point totals for the leafs, but did nothing for the Sabres during the stretch run. Never in his career did he score at the pace he did for the leafs this year. It wasnt so much his goal numbers that were inflated, it was the assists. Perhaps a byproduct of playing with better wingers than he ever had, but he was forced into a more prominent role than ever before. So which player are you getting? If i am a playoff team or on the brink of making it you are looking for guys that consistently make a difference. With the league wide shortage of centers a guy who is capable of 40 points in the right situation should be able to find a home. Rumors around the deadline had Moore looking for around 3m a year, lunacy on his part really. He eventually came to some sense at about 2.5. Still a lot of coin for a guy with 1 good year, who has never played a big role on a team with playoff aspirations.

i can't help but think this is partly a result of brian burke telling the whole world what moore supposedly wanted.

i wouldn't pay more than $2M/year for dominic moore - there is too much of a risk that he is a 20 point player with limited value. it sure seems like the league has wised up a bit about this kind of thing (columbus a noted exception - that pahlsson contract is so bad)

Has Robert Lang been discussed on this board? Maybe I am going a little delusional, but I'm starting to think he could be a nice pickup for one year only. I have no idea why he hasn't signed with anyone. Perhaps a two-year deal is scaring teams off, but I would definitely overpay him by a nice amount for a one year contract. His season ended early, but 18 goals and 21 assists in 50 games last year sounded pretty good to me.

Seems Lou has overpaid guys for two year deals...like Malakhov, McGillis and Mogilny. I'm all in favour for him to overpay for one year. Lang and Elias would work nicely.

Has Robert Lang been discussed on this board? Maybe I am going a little delusional, but I'm starting to think he could be a nice pickup for one year only. I have no idea why he hasn't signed with anyone. Perhaps a two-year deal is scaring teams off, but I would definitely overpay him by a nice amount for a one year contract. His season ended early, but 18 goals and 21 assists in 50 games last year sounded pretty good to me.

Seems Lou has overpaid guys for two year deals...like Malakhov, McGillis and Mogilny. I'm all in favour for him to overpay for one year. Lang and Elias would work nicely.

the last thing is some revisionist history (although is certainly both true and not true), but i'd address that some other time.

lang has been discussed a lot, and his injury is to me, a deal-breaker. i would not sign a 38 year old who is coming off an achilles tendon tear. lang was never fast, he's a stiff, and he takes a ton of bad penalties. now he's coming off a debilitating injury. pass.

Edited by Triumph

the last thing is some revisionist history (although is certainly both true and not true), but i'd address that some other time.

lang has been discussed a lot, and his injury is to me, a deal-breaker. i would not sign a 38 year old who is coming off an achilles tendon tear. lang was never fast, he's a stiff, and he takes a ton of bad penalties. now he's coming off a debilitating injury. pass.

Yeah but, there really is no risk if it's a one year deal. If he doesn't work, waive him or put him in the press box. Unless you think money could be better spent.

If you were given the choice of taking Lang on a one year, $2M deal or nothing (lets just say lou is only interested in a 2nd line center) which would you pick?

Yeah but, there really is no risk if it's a one year deal. If he doesn't work, waive him or put him in the press box. Unless you think money could be better spent.

If you were given the choice of taking Lang on a one year, $2M deal or nothing (lets just say lou is only interested in a 2nd line center) which would you pick?

Exactly my point. One year deals can't hurt the team. Lang doesn't block any young player. I can only see him playing with Elias as an upgrade over Zubrus. It allows Zubrus to play in a more natural spot.

I'd be interested in hearing that. Although McGillis did take less money to come here, Mogilny and Malakhov were out of left field contracts.

Edited by devilsrule33

honestly? nothing. it would be the igor larionov contract all over again. lang was lucky to put up the numbers he did last season. he'd just need to be replaced at the deadline (like larionov).

What are people opinions on Jason Williams? 19 goals and 47 points in 80 games. Didn't play so well for the Thrashers but then once he was traded to Columbus his game started to take off putting up 29 points in 39 games with a +5, the reason that sticks out to me is because he seemed to flourish under a defensive minded hockey club. Williams would be a decent third line center playing between Rolston and Clarkson perhaps?