Photo

The "C"

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Poll: Captain of the Devils (130 member(s) have cast votes)

Who should be Captain?

1. Langenbrunner (104 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. Elias (13 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. White (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Martin (3 votes [2.31%])

Percentage of vote: 2.31%

5. Parise (4 votes [3.08%])

Percentage of vote: 3.08%

6. Rolston (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Zubrus (2 votes [1.54%])

Percentage of vote: 1.54%

8. Pandolfo (1 votes [0.77%])

Percentage of vote: 0.77%

9. Other (3 votes [2.31%])

Percentage of vote: 2.31%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,887 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:09 PM

Langs should keep it, no questions asked. He's a good captain.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#42 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:17 PM

Langs chould definately be the C. I think a bigger question is who should be the As.

Edited by nyrsuck26, 23 July 2009 - 06:18 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#43 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:58 PM

Give Langs the C to avoid drama. I think it was stupid for Elias to get it taken away in the first place but once they start switching it around all the time it losses its meaning. Langs gets the C and Elias an A. Martin gets the other A for home games, White gets road games.

#44 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:29 PM

Langs. Because I think that it worked last year, and he's on our top line and it's good to have that consecrated leadership that he can pass to Zach when he's good and ready. While I think Elias is deservant, I think if we can avoid changing it we should, for some consistency if nothing else.

#45 Elias FTW

Elias FTW

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:26 PM

What I don't get is why everyone thinks Jamie is a good captain? Just cause he produced for one season, because of his playing style? The fact is he takes stupid penalties at the worst possible time, and he whines often. Look, I love the guy but Elias is a more logical answer. He's been here way longer, he plays in every situation (I''m aware Langs does too), but in my opinion he leads by example. Sure he may not be the most vocal player but neither was Stevens. I think his loyalty is amazing and it definitely rivals Marty's.
RIP 2008-2009 Devils. You will be missed

#46 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:29 PM

I think the whole discussion about Elias being more injury prone is because every season Elias will miss a game or two throughout the season whether he is sore or has the flu. I know Elias isn't injury prone but I see where Colin 226 is coming from.

See, someone who knows.. Devs4LIFE is the man :evil: :clap:
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#47 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:42 PM

What I don't get is why everyone thinks Jamie is a good captain? Just cause he produced for one season, because of his playing style? The fact is he takes stupid penalties at the worst possible time, and he whines often. Look, I love the guy but Elias is a more logical answer. He's been here way longer, he plays in every situation (I''m aware Langs does too), but in my opinion he leads by example. Sure he may not be the most vocal player but neither was Stevens. I think his loyalty is amazing and it definitely rivals Marty's.

Show me evidence that Elias would do any better. His numbers haven't exactly been stellar either.
...and if "time on the job" counts why didn't they just make Brylin captain?
I think the whole thing is pretty moot, and a captaincy change is probably the last thing this team needs with a new coach.
I just don't see any mounting evidence that Elias would do or did any better. Langs has grown into it - and that's no easy task.
I like him and all, but, Elias doesn't seem to show any more leadership than any of the other players on this team IMHO.

BTW, if arthroscopic surgery in less than a week to get back on the ice for playoffs doesn't say leadership - I don't know what does....

Edited by DevilinLA, 23 July 2009 - 10:43 PM.

Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#48 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:58 AM

Because we catered to the prick's ego ENOUGH, and it's done more harm then good already???
I hope and pray team Canada let's the puffy padded hometown butterfly douche start in the Olympics... we may actually get a quality mb30 in the stretch for once :P

as for the C itself... leave the damn thing alone!! Elias struggled MIGHTILY with it at first.... LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!

C'mon Marty deserves the "C", he has earned it. It won't effect his play in the least. He will take a position that it stands for COACH not Captain.

#49 langs15

langs15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:03 AM

Lags of course. Why switch up the captain again!? Dont fix something that ain't broke.
"Langenbrunner is content to score big goals rather than put up big numbers."

#50 Elias FTW

Elias FTW

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:10 AM

Show me evidence that Elias would do any better. His numbers haven't exactly been stellar either.
...and if "time on the job" counts why didn't they just make Brylin captain?
I think the whole thing is pretty moot, and a captaincy change is probably the last thing this team needs with a new coach.
I just don't see any mounting evidence that Elias would do or did any better. Langs has grown into it - and that's no easy task.
I like him and all, but, Elias doesn't seem to show any more leadership than any of the other players on this team IMHO.

BTW, if arthroscopic surgery in less than a week to get back on the ice for playoffs doesn't say leadership - I don't know what does....

Really, I'm pretty sure Elias is our all time leading scorer. And obviously Elias does have leadership qualities or else Julien wouldn't have named him captain.
RIP 2008-2009 Devils. You will be missed

#51 Devs4LIFE

Devs4LIFE

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:52 PM

Can't we just be happy that we're not in a position where we have to make a player captain just because we want them to stay with the team, I'm looking at you Atlanta Thrashers.
Posted Image

#52 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:17 PM

Oh I voted other -- Scott Stevens,,, but I guess I forgot to post it.

I'm here for the party

#53 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:35 PM

If its not broken, dont fix it. Bets year out of a lot of players last year and hopefully they build on it, Langenbrunner lead the charge once so he can certainly do it again.

#54 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:37 PM

Langs has done nothing wrong and nothing to warrant someone else getting the C.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#55 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:53 PM

Langenbrunner is and will be the captain until he leaves the Devils.
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#56 PaDevsFan

PaDevsFan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:33 PM

I hope whoever voted for Parise was joking.

Honestly I hope whoever voted for Zubrus was the one that was JOKING!!!

I voted Langs, he has been solid and a leader in my opinion!

#57 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:58 PM

They lost Marty and didn't miss a beat. Langs can take a lot of credit for that. He grew into an excellent captain. I had nothing against Elias, and I was furious with the way Sutter handled taking the c from him, but Langs is a better captain.

Edited by mouse, 24 July 2009 - 10:58 PM.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#58 skullsmasher

skullsmasher

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 12:38 PM

Keep the "C" right where it is. Lang is all about scoring when it matters. Remember Doc night?

And Zach never gives up on the play and is pretty modest when i see him interviewed. Thats why he should get the "A" along with Elias. He could pass some of his sheer determination on the rest of the team.

Elias is one of my favorite players all time but I like having an American captain on an American team! In a few years Parise can wear it.(when lang leaves)

#59 Neutral Zone Trap

Neutral Zone Trap

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 12:58 PM

Keep the "C" right where it is. Lang is all about scoring when it matters. Remember Doc night?

And Zach never gives up on the play and is pretty modest when i see him interviewed. Thats why he should get the "A" along with Elias. He could pass some of his sheer determination on the rest of the team.

Elias is one of my favorite players all time but I like having an American captain on an American team! In a few years Parise can wear it.(when lang leaves)

Is that you Brent Sutter :blink: <_<

#60 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,926 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:05 PM

I don't want a new captain every couple of seasons. Langs is fine with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users