276 replies to this topic

#241 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:31 PM

They don't go for the blockbuster type trades, just for the sake of making headlines in the newspapers (ala: Yankees & Rangers) but that POV is half right in the tendency the Jets have with their flashier type acquisitions. A trend that really started back in 1998. (when Curtis Martin & Vinny Testaverde were signed) Be it Braylon Edwards, Brett Favre, Alan Faneca, Ty Law, Bubba Franks, Kris Jenkins, Thomas Jones, Tony Richardson, Lito Sheppard, (that's 40 Probowl appearances between those 9 players alone) the Jets go for players, typically in their mid-to-late 30's, whom already have credentials on their own merit. Sometimes it gets to be a little too much. (as a fan) However since Mr. T has come aboard, that formula has been curtailed considerably. And yet, at times I still often use this track-record in regards to future moves the Jets may or may not make. (ie; my feelings on Richard Seymour, Champ Bailey, & Julius Peppers joining the Jets next season)
*NOW... how they differ from the Rangers, is by means of the draft. The Jets draft very well (other than Gholston) in recent years. Even players like John Abraham & Jonathan Vilma that are no longer here, were drafted by Gang Green. The bulk of the Jets roster (Mangold, D'Brick, Leon, Brad Smith, Revis, Greene, Keller, Sanchez, Clemens, Harris, Ellis, Thomas) are players that have been homegrown talent developed from within.

In conclusion; -I can see why people have that stigma regarding the Jets. But if you were to scratch the surface, you'd find it's not entirely true. :mellow:

I think the acquisition of Farve was NOT a Tannenbaum decision but a Woodhead Johnson decision because the poor season tickets sales at the time for PSL's.

Braylon Edwards, Thomas Jones, were just smart football deals.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#242 losdiablos103

losdiablos103

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:15 PM

one of the many reasons why i hate the jets is for the ranger type moves they make. i can see them making a move like this

Your a fool. Nuff said.

Proper punctuation helps too.. Assclown.. <_<
Posted Image Posted Image

#243 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:18 AM

Pretty good rumor...

http://www.thejetsbl...jet/#more-21257

...Joey Porter!? wow.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#244 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:25 AM

Wow. He would be a good fit with the Jets, especially in a pass rush. Is he still under contract with the Fins?
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#245 SS#4-Life

SS#4-Life

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:02 AM

porter and scott? the ny media will eat it up

#246 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:02 AM

Wow. He would be a good fit with the Jets, especially in a pass rush. Is he still under contract with the Fins?

Under contract for next year @ $3.6 MM. Likely casualty of the uncapped year though; Porter and the coaching staff have had a falling out this year. I would suspect a trade to be more likely, since I think the Fins know cutting him loose basically makes him a Jet unless he has absolutely nothing left. I don't recall who else around the league is a 3-4 in need of a rusher, but I'm thinking GB and maybe Houston could benefit from his services as well.

If they choose to cap the year, I can't see them cutting him loose.
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#247 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:30 AM

I would suspect a trade to be more likely, since I think the Fins know cutting him loose basically makes him a Jet unless he has absolutely nothing left.

You have a better chance at hell freezing over, than Porter being traded. There is no way the Dolphins are going to pay the roster bonus he's due on March 1st. (and you can't make trades before March 1st) Porter's trade value has plummeted since he has openly come out and said he; "wants out from the Dophins." Other teams have Miami at ransom, because at the end of the day... THEY KNOW ALL OF THIS. Should the Fish release him before 3/1, they're off the hook on that money. Not to mention their coaching staff and upper management have gone ga-ga with Wake, Anderson, Moses, & Tailor. (who can pretty much fill the void for Porter, without the headaches) They spent about 20 minutes talking about this on NFL Talk yesterday. I had no idea of the behind-the-scenes beef him and Sparano have towards one another. (not to mention Porter -vs- Allen, Starks, & Crowder) He'll be cut before the first of March for sure.

Wow. He would be a good fit with the Jets, especially in a pass rush.

This move makes so much sense, the more I think about it.. the more I like it. 'RR really knows how to get the most out of aging players on defense. (just ask Ray Lewis) Joey's an unquestionable upgrade over Bryan Thomas. I could see Porter signing with the Jets just to spite the Dolphins alone, nevermind the fact that (being the Jets are a quality team) he has a good shot at a Superbowl with Gang Green.
Picture a Jets front 7 consisting of Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, Joey Porter, David Harris, Kris Jenkins, Shaun Ellis (and either Richard Seymour or Julius Peppers) Not to mention inside sources indicating Tannenbaum wants to acquire; "another shutdown corner" to complement Revis. -Champ Bailey anyone?

Licking my chops for 2010. Licking my Chops!! :e-drama:

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#248 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:34 AM

You have a better chance at hell freezing over, than Porter being traded. There is no way the Dolphins are going to pay the roster bonus he's due on March 1st. (and you can't make trades before March 1st) Porter's trade value has plummeted since he has openly come out and said he; "wants out from the Dophins." Other teams have Miami at ransom, because at the end of the day... THEY KNOW ALL OF THIS. Should the Fish release him before 3/1, they're off the hook on that money. Not to mention their coaching staff and upper management have gone ga-ga with Wake, Anderson, Moses, & Tailor. (who can pretty much fill the void for Porter, without the headaches) They spent about 20 minutes talking about this on NFL Talk yesterday. I had no idea of the behind-the-scenes beef him and Sparano have towards one another. (not to mention Porter -vs- Allen, Starks, & Crowder) He'll be cut before the first of March for sure.

I'm not down with cap-a-nomics, but do roster bonuses count against the cap? If not, or there is no cap, what does a roster bonus matter if it keeps one of your chief divisional rivals weaker?
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#249 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:57 AM

I'm not down with cap-a-nomics, but do roster bonuses count against the cap? If not, or there is no cap, what does a roster bonus matter if it keeps one of your chief divisional rivals weaker?

bonuses are the only "guaranteed" part of the contracts if I remember right, and in that aspect it's all the teams are on the hook for if they cut guys.... something like that...it's why you see a 10 year 100 million contract that the odds are the player may not see half of it... it's nice window dressing to dance the salary cap....
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#250 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,817 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:21 AM

Pretty good rumor...

http://www.thejetsbl...jet/#more-21257

...Joey Porter!? wow.

LMAO, you can have him. He's finished. DON'T let the 9 sack number fool you either- those 9 sacks came against back-up OT's and some of the worst o-lines in football. 5 of those 9 sacks came in 2 games against Carolina and Buffalo teams starting practice squad guys in place of their injured 1st and 2nd stringers. I'll laugh if you sign Peezy at this point. And I'll laugh hard.

Edited by MadDog2020, 31 January 2010 - 12:26 AM.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#251 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:50 AM

LMAO, you can have him. He's finished. DON'T let the 9 sack number fool you either- those 9 sacks came against back-up OT's and some of the worst o-lines in football. 5 of those 9 sacks came in 2 games against Carolina and Buffalo teams starting practice squad guys in place of their injured 1st and 2nd stringers.

Don't forget to change your sig when he signs with us by March. ;)
...finished huh? We'll see about that. Back-up OT's or not.. 9 Sacks in 14 Games, is still 9 Sacks in 14 Games. BTW: Only 2 Sacks came against Carolina.

I'll laugh if you sign Peezy at this point. And I'll laugh hard.

I'll laugh harder when I hear Bob Wischusen exclaim; "Ohhhhh, and Porter came out of nowhere! Henne just got drilled for a lose of 8 on the play." -come October. Posted Image

Edited by Beezer34, 31 January 2010 - 01:01 AM.

#252 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,817 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:15 AM

Don't forget to change your sig when he signs with us by March. ;)
...finished huh? We'll see about that. Back-up OT's or not.. 9 Sacks in 14 Games, is still 9 Sacks in 14 Games. BTW: Only 2 Sacks came against Carolina.

I'll laugh harder when I hear Bob Wischusen exclaim; "Ohhhhh, and Porter came out of nowhere! Henne just got drilled for a lose of 8 on the play." -come October. Posted Image

Beez, I watched the guy every play this year. He 'aint the same guy. I'm not trying to rain on your parade here- I'm giving you an honest evaluation of what the man is at this point. He couldn't get off a block this year to save his life. He was neutralized pretty much all year. He was so lousy, he was actually made inactive for a game. And maybe I should've been more clear- a COMBINED 4.5 of the 9 sacks came in those two games against Buffalo and Carolina and their below sub-par o-lines. Again- take him. I'll laugh hardest and last, I guarantee you that. But if you don't wanna take my word for it, you can tell me I was right a year from now. I'll be here.

#253 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:13 PM

Just read this about an hour ago. This one goes out to all you Fish-Fans...

Rex Ryan gives Dolphin fans obscene gesture.
Posted Image
"I want to just tell everybody in Miami; 'we're coming to beat you twice next year." Ryan said as he was getting booed. He then gave the fans the middle finger."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IF2WiDbWeE&feature=player_embedded

...God I love this guy. B )

Edited by Beezer34, 31 January 2010 - 04:20 PM.

#254 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,817 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:38 PM

Just read this about an hour ago. This one goes out to all you Fish-Fans...

Rex Ryan gives Dolphin fans obscene gesture.
Posted Image
"I want to just tell everybody in Miami; 'we're coming to beat you twice next year." Ryan said as he was getting booed. He then gave the fans the middle finger."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IF2WiDbWeE&feature=player_embedded

...God I love this guy. B )

Lmao... what a fat fvck. He gets pwned twice and acts like a fvcking 12 year old. He'll be a defensive coordinator again within two years. What I love though is that Fatso is doing good to really heat up the Fins-Jets rivalry again.

Edited by MadDog2020, 31 January 2010 - 07:50 PM.

#255 SS#4-Life

SS#4-Life

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:50 PM

Picture a Jets front 7 consisting of Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, Joey Porter, David Harris, Kris Jenkins, Shaun Ellis (and either Richard Seymour or Julius Peppers)

call them aarp

#256 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:35 PM

Lmao... what a fat fvck.

...you've got to be kidding right? Throwing fat jokes at Rex, when Stay`Puff Tony "the Tank" Sparano is your Head Coach? Pot... Kettle... What?
Posted Image

call them aarp

I recall a New England Patriot team a couple years ago that made it all the way to the Superbowl with a pretty good defense. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't that defense have a 35 year old Rodney Harrison.. a 39 year old Junior Seau.. a 34 year old Tedy Bruschi.. a 31 year old Adalius Thomas.. and a 33 year old Mike Vrabel? I'm not sure, but I remember that team doing pretty well.. 16-0 wasn't it? -and a Conference Championship?
...maybe I'm wrong though, I gotta double check it. Posted Image

Boy the haters are out in full force aint' they? I guess the notion of Bart Scott, Joey Porter, & David Harris standing side-by-side has gotten some people a tad intimidated. #1 Defense in the league last season, without Porter, Seymour, & Jenkins. (for 13 games) You think it'll be just a liiiiiittle bit better WITH them in the line-up next season? What'ya think?? :uni:

#257 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,817 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:29 PM

...you've got to be kidding right? Throwing fat jokes at Rex, when Stay`Puff Tony "the Tank" Sparano is your Head Coach? Pot... Kettle... What?
Posted Image

I recall a New England Patriot team a couple years ago that made it all the way to the Superbowl with a pretty good defense. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't that defense have a 35 year old Rodney Harrison.. a 39 year old Junior Seau.. a 34 year old Tedy Bruschi.. a 31 year old Adalius Thomas.. and a 33 year old Mike Vrabel? I'm not sure, but I remember that team doing pretty well.. 16-0 wasn't it? -and a Conference Championship?
...maybe I'm wrong though, I gotta double check it. Posted Image

Boy the haters are out in full force aint' they? I guess the notion of Bart Scott, Joey Porter, & David Harris standing side-by-side has gotten some people a tad intimidated. #1 Defense in the league last season, without Porter, Seymour, & Jenkins. (for 13 games) You think it'll be just a liiiiiittle bit better WITH them in the line-up next season? What'ya think?? :uni:

1. The fact that Sparano is fat will never prevent me from pointing out that Rex is also fat- actually, fatter. :P 2. Not intimitdated in the least. We will have a pretty decent team ourselves next year. Not scared of anyone.

Edited by MadDog2020, 31 January 2010 - 11:31 PM.

#258 losdiablos103

losdiablos103

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:46 AM

1. The fact that Sparano is fat will never prevent me from pointing out that Rex is also fat- actually, fatter. :P 2. Not intimitdated in the least. We will have a pretty decent team ourselves next year. Not scared of anyone.

Did Pat White wake up yet? :ph34r:
Posted Image Posted Image

#259 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,817 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:53 AM

Did Pat White wake up yet? :ph34r:

I don't know... but Ted Ginn is still running.

#260 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:15 AM

Man, do I miss Rex Ryan in Baltimore. Jets have a winner at HC.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users