153 replies to this topic

#141 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,421 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:41 AM

Difficult to make trades when the bottom bunch of teams do not even acknlowledge the offers. Have we ever considered a keeper league?? maybe that would keep everyone interested throughout the season...
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#142 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,055 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:09 AM

I wouldn't be opposed to a limited keeper but it's hard to have a keeper league when there's usually some turnover (six-seven teams) every year.

If we had the same twenty every year or close enough to it that'd be different but there's never a season where all twenty are active so it's nice to have some flexibility there to get new, eager people in although there are a solid group of like 5-7 teams that will play it out every year including me, you, Manta, halfshark, the two Swedes and maybe a couple others. And some of our newer players have been active enough so they can stay around for another season if they want but there are some that haven't been as much.

And the trade deadline passed anyway, it was just a day or two after the actual NHL one, and I think there were a significant number of trades overall this year. I don't have a list to judge how it compares to past years, but it feels like there were more this season than in most.

Edited by Hasan4978, 06 March 2010 - 09:13 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#143 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:08 AM

It's gonna be close
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#144 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,421 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:46 PM

It's gonna be close

that is for sure, 1 day I'm in 2nd, next day I'm in 4th... its nuts... I'm just glad to be in it at all...
Posted Image

2006 JHL CHAMPION!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#145 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,055 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:14 PM

Geez I should go on vacation more often, I'm suddenly back in it after floundering for two months :lol: And Marty's win tonight can only help the cause :evil:
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#146 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,055 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:04 PM

Wow, I'm gonna be even more ticked off if Mottau and the Devils cost me a fantasy title in the last thirty seconds. Getting a head-to-head win against Niemi (Devilswede's goalie) and a shutout to boot would have been huge at this point. I guess that's what I have coming to me for relying on the Devils' d for ANYthing :rant:

Edited by Hasan4978, 03 April 2010 - 12:01 AM.

#147 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:51 PM

Another frustrating season comes to an end.

Congrats to Hasan who according to Stattracker pulled it off.

Sigh, I made some stupid moves this year, the only great trade I made was for Theodore and Pavelski and then I blew that by giving away Theodore a week later.

Time to move on to the real season...
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#148 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:18 PM

Congrats on a season well done!

This was my first time doing a fantasy league for hockey, 6th place is pretty good for a go.

#149 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,055 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:02 PM

Another frustrating season comes to an end.

Congrats to Hasan who according to Stattracker pulled it off.

Is it bad form to post a congratulations thread to myself? :lol:

I figured that's how Devilswede had to know (based on what he posted on his team page) but I still obsessively checked all the categories manually to make sure since I have problems loading StatTracker lol, plus I know for a fact OT/SO goalie losses show up as losses at first but later aren't counted in the standings. That category didn't change though and my calculations did confirm the overall result.

So three titles in seven fantasy seasons, my first since the lockout though - and first as commish after winning the other two when NJay started and ran the league. My fans demand excellence and I finally delivered again :evil:

And second of the three fantasy titles with Marty in net. Even with his second half slump he was still the difference down the stretch. Although getting Backstrom with a late second round pick really helped, next year he should be a top ten pick at least. God, if I'd picked Savard over him (he was my other choice there) that would have really sunk me.

My offense as a whole raked and it had to, given my shortcoming in finding PIM's which I thought would kill me. And much like the Devils, my D was more than the sum of its parts and as Andy Greene filled in for the Devils when Paul Martin went down, he helped me big-time when Kronwall was hurt.

Overall though this was an awesome race, there were probably ones that finished closer but I'm not sure any of them were this back and forth. I was 17 points up in mid-January then like 14 points down in early March, when I finally caught Devilswede it turned into a game of leapfrog. Six and a half points up with five to go, three and a half points back with three to go. And a lead change on the last day.

After finishing second to him last year, I'm just glad I was in first on the right day this year. Odds are if the season had lasted a day or two longer I would have been behind again. I wouldn't be shocked if next year was Ali-Frazier III, the rubber match although I'm sure the eighteen other teams will have something to say about that ;)

This was a terrific race, and as a whole we had a very active league with trades. I'd say like 70-75% of the teams remained active all the way through which is pretty good for a 20-team league, plus some of the new blood did really well in the standings.

So now I get the ability to choose my draft spot next year, I'll probably stick with the number one pick like everyone else who's had the option. I already have a pretty good idea of who I'd pick...I'll probably miss Marty next year but someone else can enjoy him next year :)

Edited by Hasan4978, 11 April 2010 - 11:18 PM.

#150 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:28 PM

Congrats Hasan!

Since I finished 6th, do i get to pick 6 next year?

#151 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,055 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:37 PM

No, only the league winner gets to pick where they draft...it's sorta the only 'perk' you can give out without making it a money league lol.

Everyone else that joins (it's never usually the same 20 every year but a majority do come back) I randomize before the draft next year.

#152 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,421 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:14 AM

Hasan, great job, My goalies died after the Olympic brak and that sunk me, but what a crazy year, after spending most of the 1st 2 months in the bottom 3 i somehow managed to work my way all the way to 2nd before settling for 5th, all in all a fun year,

I still think we should try to find a way to make this a keeper league, maybe each team protects 4 players from the year before?
Posted Image

2006 JHL CHAMPION!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#153 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:24 PM

Congrats Hasan for yet another win. Nice job Swede keeping it close.

As for my team, damn Tim Thomas really let me down, he started strong. Oh well.

#154 Devilswede

Devilswede

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:16 PM

Congrats man! I know I'm a little late here, but I was the first one to congratulate on the league site. ;)

It really came down to the wire, and you pulled it off. My goalies really sucked down the stretch. Picking up Antti Niemi off waivers at the start of the season proved to be a good move for me since Huet was so ridiculously inconsistent this year. If I hadn't done that no way I'm in the top 5.

See ya next season! Should be a good one once again!
I met this really kinky girl last night. "Humiliate me", she said. ..So I bought her a Rangers jersey...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users