103 replies to this topic

#21 TrentonPwnedFlorida

TrentonPwnedFlorida

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:18 PM

Bag of pucks? warm body? or helpful? and who went the other way?

No Clue....Nothing on the transactions from Trenton's side.

#22 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:18 PM

Bag of pucks? warm body? or helpful? and who went the other way?

No sign of anybody going the other way yet. The kid had real good numbers at Princeton and at this point any sign of life on the offensive side of the puck would be a good thing. They will have to cut a body to add him or put another on the 21 day IR. Actually 2 will have to go if we add a goalie that's not a ebug. I think that's how they were able to add Cohen by releasing a contracted goalie and going with Felice.

Hockeydb

Edited by titans04, 25 October 2009 - 07:19 PM.

#23 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:48 PM

Not sure why we need all these defensemen unless Torti who was a scratch last game and Pender (not sure he returned after his fight) are hurt now too.

10/26
Trenton:
Add John Wessbecker, D signed contract (cut from Florida/UMass kid - shocking)
Add Brett Wilson, F traded from Las Vegas
Delete Gord Burnett, F placed on the 3-day IR
Delete Anthony Felice, G released as the emergency backup goaltender
Delete Jon Howse, F transferred to the 21-day IR
Delete Chris Murray, D transferred to the 21-day IR

#24 Shtikl

Shtikl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:25 AM

Hey, maybe Kowalsky thinks the guys are out of shape and prone to injury. Or maybe he wants to check them out and will keep the best of the litter, and use the others to repay those outstanding trades he had to call in last year. Anyway, you'll need the bodies, remember playing 2 guys short last year?? You should rejoice that they have a couple of guys on reserve, so they don't have to pull a fan out of the stands :whistling:

But yes, the revolving door is probably going to be turning soon. Pandolfo and Martin will be gone for a (relatively) long time, Mottau's gonna be day-to-day and an easy target, Fraser's an uncertain commodity (even if I think he "walks on water" and will do OK as long as that head injury is really all healed up) and also an easy target, the rookie forwards can't do 20 minutes a game yet, and we don't know what else is in the works. Could be Lou's planning to shuffle the decks to hire help.

Just to cheer you up, Cohen will be back in Low Hell soon, along with anybody else youse have who can skate backwards without tripping over their laces. Although they keep announcing Greg Flynn as a healthy scratch, he was not at the petting zoo* Sunday and I have no idea whether he's ready for his first AHL game or just hanging out while he waits for his USAF marching orders. Of course Robitaille wasn't there either, maybe Lou's calling him up to take Pandolfo's place but saving it for a surprise. ;)

Ya know, I really, really, really wish the AHL (or ECHL) would get rid of that farkin' Instigator rule, just for a year, so the NHL can see if it really does all the good they keep telling us it does. It would cut down on the headhunting and it would make the dirty teams pay for targeting specific players just to take them out...

In the meantime, it probably makes sense to stock the pond. It's a great smokescreen, and really, borderline ECHLers don't cost a whole lot to feed. BTW, do they actually have to house the T-Devils across the river just to keep them safe? :uni:

-----
* OK, so the official designation is Team Autograph Session, but there were actually some starry-eyed young bunnies drooling over those amazingly good-looking guys, eh? Never mind the rats and rabbits, and I'm sure there are worse words...

Edited by Shtikl, 27 October 2009 - 11:27 AM.

We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses. -- Abraham Lincoln

#25 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:53 PM

Lord Lou told TG he wasn't going to bring up any forwards from Lowell. Guess we'll see what happens with Cohen. But for now this move can only help if he pitches a shutout on most nights. Still a very welcomed addition.

10/27/2009 Gerald Coleman (G) Lowell DEL Loaned to Trenton (ECHL)

Trenton:
Add Gerald Coleman, G assigned by Lowell (AHL)
Delete John Wessbecker, D placed on the 7-day IR

Edited by titans04, 27 October 2009 - 05:15 PM.

#26 TrentonPwnedFlorida

TrentonPwnedFlorida

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:52 PM

Lord Lou told TG he wasn't going to bring up any forwards from Lowell.

I dont see why they would. They have Peters, Leblond, Pikka & Halischuk which have all been rotating spots.

Based on last games starting lines...

Parise-Zubrus-Langs
Bergfors-Zajac-Clarkson
Pandolfo-Nieds-Rolston
Leblond-Pelley-Pikka

Take out Pandolfo...Throw in Halischuk..and you still have Peters as an extra forward. Also Elias should be back fairly soon.

On Defense you got

Salvador-Oduya
White- Mottau
Fraser-Greene
Murphy

Lowell will have:

Davison
Magnan
Leach
Eckford
Corrente
Taormina
Flynn

So I mean I can see Cohen staying down in Trenton. Of course if not, I dont see it being a problem...We seem to be stockpiling defenseman. And truthfully, Trenton's defense hasnt been a real problem...its been our offense + Powerplay + Goalie (Caruso's last game not counting).

Trentons Roster is also pretty good even tho we havent been scoring much yet...It might take some time to see who can fill castongauys shoes for scoring...Nagy = Snets ... Harder = Henkel (I know some people wont agree).
We have what seems like a good team..Just its going to take time to gel.

Edited by TrentonPwnedFlorida, 27 October 2009 - 05:59 PM.

#27 Devils1985

Devils1985

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:13 PM

Harder's been fairly useless to this point. Certainly not an equal to Henkel, and Jim brought a lot off the ice as well.

Hopefully they don't wait until December to gel.

On D, Pender has been just brutal, he hasn't shown he has a clue what to do with that little black thing called a "puck" which of course explains why he's been on the powerless play.

Here's hoping the turnaround begins tonite.

edit: I should say the PP showed a little life at times against J town. They created chances, but couldn't cash in. So that's something...

Edited by Devils1985, 28 October 2009 - 12:16 PM.

Posted Image

Trenton: Where we flip off the Kiss Cam.

#28 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:11 PM

Ouch for Trenton:

10/29/2009 Matt Cohen (D) Lowell ADD Recalled from loan to Trenton (ECHL)

#29 TrentonPwnedFlorida

TrentonPwnedFlorida

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:45 PM

Harder's been fairly useless to this point. Certainly not an equal to Henkel, and Jim brought a lot off the ice as well.

I have said the same thing. Henkel > Harder

Edited by TrentonPwnedFlorida, 29 October 2009 - 03:48 PM.

#30 Shtikl

Shtikl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:10 PM

Ouch for Trenton:

10/29/2009 Matt Cohen (D) Lowell ADD Recalled from loan to Trenton (ECHL)

Yeah, and that was *before* the injury to Oduya. Who's next?

Somebody had the foresight to stock up on D-men, good thing and let's hope they can hold the fort.

PS -- never seen Harder play, agree he's not a hot-swap substitute for Henkel, but if he's making the adjustment to non-metric ice, it will take a few games, it's not instantaneous so it's too early to dump him.

Edited by Shtikl, 29 October 2009 - 10:17 PM.

We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses. -- Abraham Lincoln

#31 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:52 AM

Yeah, and that was *before* the injury to Oduya. Who's next?

Somebody had the foresight to stock up on D-men, good thing and let's hope they can hold the fort.

PS -- never seen Harder play, agree he's not a hot-swap substitute for Henkel, but if he's making the adjustment to non-metric ice, it will take a few games, it's not instantaneous so it's too early to dump him.

It's not the size of the ice, he also has a long history of AHL time in 1990's. I wish it was a size of the ice deal, he looks to be done with no legs left at all.

#32 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:07 PM

10/4

Trenton:
Add Gord Burnett, D activated off IR
Add Chris Murray, D activated off IR
Add John Wessbecker, D activated off IR
Delete Jeremy Akeson, F placed on the 3-day IR
Delete Justin Pender, D placed on the 7-day IR

#33 Shtikl

Shtikl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:02 PM

10/4

Trenton:
Add Gord Burnett, D activated off IR
Add Chris Murray, D activated off IR
Add John Wessbecker, D activated off IR
Delete Jeremy Akeson, F placed on the 3-day IR
Delete Justin Pender, D placed on the 7-day IR

Shuffling the queue at the nacho counter, eh?

#34 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:47 PM

This isn't going to help either one of us.

Defenseman Jay Leach placed on re-entry waivers
The Devils have placed defenseman Jay Leach on re-entry waivers.

If he is not claimed by another team before noon on Friday, the Devils can call him up from Lowell.

If Leach is claimed by another team, half of his NHL salary of $487,500 would still count against the Devilsí cap.

Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello would not comment when I asked him if the move with Leach is an indication that the team intends to place defenseman Johnny Oduya on injured reserve. Oduya has missed the last two games with a lower-body injury and is not expected to play Friday against the Islanders or Saturday in Ottawa.

Lamoriello also wasnít ready to say if the team planned to call anyone else up.

#35 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:05 PM

Brilliant according to reports Leach was claimed by Montreal. Kudos to the front office.

#36 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,622 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:19 PM

Brilliant according to reports Leach was claimed by Montreal. Kudos to the front office.

lol, knew you'd be on here complaining about this move. we all know that the minor leagues are the priority.

it sucks for lowell and trenton but it's the right move for the devils.

Edited by Triumph, 06 November 2009 - 01:20 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#37 Shtikl

Shtikl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:50 PM

lol, knew you'd be on here complaining about this move. we all know that the minor leagues are the priority.

it sucks for lowell and trenton but it's the right move for the devils.

This is exactly the place to complain. It's PURGATORY, it's all about the MINOR LEAGUE Devils.

In the long run, Lou's habit of crapping on the minor league franchises and their fans is going to cost the Devils, but hopefully by then the Trenton and Lowell fans will be cheering for teams in Allentown, Worcester and Manchester. The NJ Devils will always be the North Jersey Devils.

From the young player development prospective, it's not a smart move either, unless Lou can come up with a replacement. The loss of Leach, with his experience and his honest stay-at-home defenseman play, will hurt Corrente's and Eckford's and now Taormina's development. There's no way in Hell those three boys are ready to be team captains. Davison rushes, Magnan rushes, and after that you're bringing up ECHLers. This will also probably hurt Frazee, he'll be even more shellshocked than he was Wednesday night and it will go on all season long. But all of that won't show up for a couple of years.

Anyway, doesn't matter, Leach is gone for now.

So, titans04, who'll be coming up to visit in Lowell? Should I have my spy buy 'em a L-Devils hat? ;)

#38 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,482 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:54 PM

I remember when Bergfors was destroyed by the poor Lowell teams, same thing will happen with Eckford and Corrente with no Leach now. Whatever happened to that Bergfors guy anyway? :P

Of course extra ice time and responsibility could always help a players growth too. Or none of this could have any factor in a players growth. Players growth seems somewhat random and player specific so I don't think we can definitively say what losing Leach will do to the Devils prospects.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#39 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,622 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 02:03 PM

This is exactly the place to complain. It's PURGATORY, it's all about the MINOR LEAGUE Devils.

In the long run, Lou's habit of crapping on the minor league franchises and their fans is going to cost the Devils, but hopefully by then the Trenton and Lowell fans will be cheering for teams in Allentown, Worcester and Manchester. The NJ Devils will always be the North Jersey Devils.

From the young player development prospective, it's not a smart move either, unless Lou can come up with a replacement. The loss of Leach, with his experience and his honest stay-at-home defenseman play, will hurt Corrente's and Eckford's and now Taormina's development. There's no way in Hell those three boys are ready to be team captains.

where was leach last year? in the NHL for most of the season, not developing players in the minors.

the biggest beef with lou wrt to the minor leagues should have to do with attendance/marketing issues, which there i'm not going to comment because i totally agree but my agreement will sound patronizing. so, right. what i do not agree with it is the notion that calling up jay leach is 'crapping on the minor league franchises' - it's not like he was traded, he was called up to the big squad and lost on waivers (he made it through half the league, at least). leach was gone at the end of the year, either gone to an NHL team or another AHL one.

Davison rushes, Magnan rushes, and after that you're bringing up ECHLers.

the minor leagues should get one of murphy or fraser back by january if all goes according to plan.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#40 Shtikl

Shtikl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 02:31 PM

I remember when Bergfors was destroyed by the poor Lowell teams, same thing will happen with Eckford and Corrente with no Leach now. Whatever happened to that Bergfors guy anyway? :P

Of course extra ice time and responsibility could always help a players growth too. Or none of this could have any factor in a players growth. Players growth seems somewhat random and player specific so I don't think we can definitively say what losing Leach will do to the Devils prospects.

Hey, great for any of the players if they stick. Sure worked for Vrana and Tallackson and Ahonen. But burnout is just as likely as success, if they're pushed too hard. And so are injuries, which don't do a thing to improve a player's development. Anyway, youse NHL fans will enjoy the results either way and Lou can always trade somebody -- whoops, too bad he has no trade bait, how'd that happen? But surely there's a thread congratulating Lou on his brilliance, up in the Hell forum.

Meanwhile, down here in the compost heap of the minor leagues, we think it's interesting that Gainey waited until almost the last minute to pull the trigger and claim Leach. The Devils won't have Leach as a backup tonight, not that most fans in Newark will notice anyway. Murphy seems to be a fan favorite. :uni:

More interesting is that Lowell played very poorly, especially in their own end, during the first of a 4-games-in-4.75-days week, they'll be on the team bus with a road-home-road matinee schedule, and with no spare to give the rookies and sophomores a night off if they need it, the kids are going to be exhausted. Not that anybody in Newark gives a flying eructation, of course. But Taormina never played a schedule like this before, none of the rookies have. Hope they can all handle the ice time. Wonder if Robitaille is any good on D...

And Trenton only has 3 games in 3 nights this weekend also -- all three in Elmira, the team that mopped the floor with the T-Devils last game and last season, so it's extremely thoughtful of Lou to cost them a blueliner when their team is on the road, they'll start the month a perfect 0-4 and be scrambling to find live bodies all next week. Oh, but the Trenton fans aren't supposed to expect anything much in return for their ticket money, either, are they?

Say, you're right, Triumph, Leach wasn't in Lowell last year. And the L-Devils made the playoffs, too, the first time in 10 years the Devils AHL affiliate did so, and I completely missed it. Wow. And Eckford was a -23, he did so well with all the extra ice time. Makes me wonder why anybody would bother putting Leach on waivers, when Eckford was so NHL-ready. Probably Lou just wanted to save Montreal $200,000 in salary, and didn't want to get anybody in exchange who would fill up the AHL roster. Such a kind guy, always thinking of other teams' needs...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users