103 replies to this topic

#41 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 02:40 PM

It's really simple Triumph, our 2k goes to the Trenton Devils so frankly that what I care about most. Wouldn't expect anybody but the few Trenton and Lowell fans to understand.

Shtikl - nicely done.

I am however smart enough to realize Leach getting picked off is part of Lou's grand plan. Now can I have more kool aid?

Edited by titans04, 06 November 2009 - 02:42 PM.

#42 Shtikl

Shtikl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 02:46 PM

It's really simple Triumph, our 2k goes to the Trenton Devils so frankly that what I care about most. Wouldn't expect anybody but the few Trenton and Lowell fans to understand.

Shtikl - nicely done.

I am however smart enough to realize Leach getting picked off is part of Lou's grand plan. Now can I have more kool aid?

We should probably confine our conversations and GDTs to the Riveting Hockey forum and leave this one for the experts.
We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses. -- Abraham Lincoln

#43 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:29 PM

Hey, great for any of the players if they stick. Sure worked for Vrana and Tallackson and Ahonen. But burnout is just as likely as success, if they're pushed too hard. And so are injuries, which don't do a thing to improve a player's development. Anyway, youse NHL fans will enjoy the results either way and Lou can always trade somebody -- whoops, too bad he has no trade bait, how'd that happen? But surely there's a thread congratulating Lou on his brilliance, up in the Hell forum.

Meanwhile, down here in the compost heap of the minor leagues, we think it's interesting that Gainey waited until almost the last minute to pull the trigger and claim Leach. The Devils won't have Leach as a backup tonight, not that most fans in Newark will notice anyway. Murphy seems to be a fan favorite. :uni:

More interesting is that Lowell played very poorly, especially in their own end, during the first of a 4-games-in-4.75-days week, they'll be on the team bus with a road-home-road matinee schedule, and with no spare to give the rookies and sophomores a night off if they need it, the kids are going to be exhausted. Not that anybody in Newark gives a flying eructation, of course. But Taormina never played a schedule like this before, none of the rookies have. Hope they can all handle the ice time. Wonder if Robitaille is any good on D...

And Trenton only has 3 games in 3 nights this weekend also -- all three in Elmira, the team that mopped the floor with the T-Devils last game and last season, so it's extremely thoughtful of Lou to cost them a blueliner when their team is on the road, they'll start the month a perfect 0-4 and be scrambling to find live bodies all next week. Oh, but the Trenton fans aren't supposed to expect anything much in return for their ticket money, either, are they?

Say, you're right, Triumph, Leach wasn't in Lowell last year. And the L-Devils made the playoffs, too, the first time in 10 years the Devils AHL affiliate did so, and I completely missed it. Wow. And Eckford was a -23, he did so well with all the extra ice time. Makes me wonder why anybody would bother putting Leach on waivers, when Eckford was so NHL-ready. Probably Lou just wanted to save Montreal $200,000 in salary, and didn't want to get anybody in exchange who would fill up the AHL roster. Such a kind guy, always thinking of other teams' needs...

this would have all been true anyway. if the devils called up davison or corrente or eckford or magnan-grenier, everything you said in this post is all still true - trenton and lowell have to play short-handed. the devils aren't 25 deep at defense in the ECHL/AHL/NHL - i don't think that should come as a surprise to anyone. the devils have 6 D in new jersey right now, they wanted a 7th, and they gambled on the best guy and lost him.

re: depth - it's on its way. lowell is already better this year, and next year will likely get some number of tedenby, josefson, urbom, henrique, miller, mcintyre, and young. at least 3 of these will be lowell devils next season.

i also don't think gainey 'waited until the last minute' - if multiple teams put in a claim, the player goes to the team with the worst record, so one has to wait until the end of the waiver period.

Shtikl - nicely done.

when you say things like line 1, i say, 'oh, okay'.

when you say things like line 3, i say, 'oh, you don't know what you're talking about'. if i read this forum and used your tone to approximate how trenton was doing in the standings, i would've had absolutely no clue that they made the playoffs last year. don't use this as a launching point for all your trenton-related grievances, i know them all already.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#44 funetiklee

funetiklee

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:32 PM

admittedly didn't read all the points on the jay leach thing, but i just want to ask what would you have done if you were Lou? I hear many critics about this but he didn't have many options.
with oduya hurting and eventually being sent to IR there were only 6 defensemen on the club, 1 of which is right now a 6th or 7th defenseman at best (Fraser) and another who hardly looks like he could hold his own in the American League (Murphy).
i'd rather he try and call up Leach then have another situation like in 05/06... where after the malakhov fiasco we brought tommy albelin out of retirement and traded for ken klee. do you people remember ken klee. the guy played like 20 games for the devils and he is without a doubt my least favorite player to have ever played for the devils.

#45 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:49 PM

or how about 2007, where the devils were forced to use mark fraser for 7 games and alex brooks for 19 games until they worked up the cap room to put andy greene on the roster.

#46 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:50 PM

Triumph plain and simple I don't care what you agree or disagree with. If they just needed a short term D man (which based on what Little Lou said regarding Oduya's injury and Neidemyers for that matter) why not call up Davison who according to what TG posted a couple weeks back would not need to clear waivers based on his AHL salary?

Being 3-4 weeks in a new season I'm sure the Lowell faithful aren't all that concerned about who they might get next season.

#47 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:02 PM

Triumph plain and simple I don't care what you agree or disagree with. If they just needed a short term D man (which based on what Little Lou said regarding Oduya's injury and Neidemyers for that matter) why not call up Davison who according to what TG posted a couple weeks back would not need to clear waivers based on his AHL salary?

the answer you're not going to want to hear is that leach is better than davison. and if this had been a giant concern of lou's, he would've kept leach on the roster all year, thus depriving lowell of jay leach either way. i doubt that the move would've been to bring up leach and then send him back down - it would've been to bring him up, then send fraser down.

Being 3-4 weeks in a new season I'm sure the Lowell faithful aren't all that concerned about who they might get next season.

well they're still a playoff contender anyway.

Edited by Triumph, 06 November 2009 - 06:06 PM.

#48 Shtikl

Shtikl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:02 PM

Not even close. They'll fall behind this month, then when the flu hits and they lose more bodies, December and January will be lost causes, and by February they'll be so far out of contention, they might as well play the funeral march instead of the national anthem at the start of the game.

Trevor Kell recalled to Lowell.
We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses. -- Abraham Lincoln

#49 titansman

titansman

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:42 PM

And Trenton only has 3 games in 3 nights this weekend also -- all three in Elmira, the team that mopped the floor with the T-Devils last game and last season, so it's extremely thoughtful of Lou to cost them a blueliner when their team is on the road, they'll start the month a perfect 0-4 and be scrambling to find live bodies all next week. Oh, but the Trenton fans aren't supposed to expect anything much in return for their ticket money, either, are they?

[/quote]

Great call there, of course only one game was in Elmira, Saturday and Sunday were in Trenton and Trenton won all three. And how can you say that Elmira mopped the floor with Trenton last year. Trenton was 6-6-0-1 with Elmira last year and lost a 7 game series where one game went 4 overtimes and several others were decided in overtime. Please know what you are talking about before you go off. It does seem as though this weekend was pretty successful all of Devil land even though the Devils lost Leach. Big deal.

#50 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:41 PM

11/24 Trenton Signs 2 Free Agents

Trenton:
Add Ryan Ginand, F signed contract
Add Luke Lucyk, D signed contract

Luke Lucyk

Ryan Ginand

#51 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:33 PM

Ryan Ginand will put up points in the ECHL.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#52 Shtikl

Shtikl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:45 PM

11/24 Trenton Signs 2 Free Agents

Trenton:
Add Ryan Ginand, F signed contract
Add Luke Lucyk, D signed contract

Luke Lucyk

Ryan Ginand

... The fourth, the fifth, the minor fall and the major lift
The baffled king composing hallelujah

Hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah

One from Notre Dame, one from Moth-eaten ;) -- hey, Hockey East again. Maybe they'll click and you'll have a little fun watching them play.

Edit: well, now that I'm awake again, let's add some links.

Ryan Ginand's bio from Northeastern, photo celebrating a goal...

Luke Lucyk's bio from Notre Dame and a photo from his Brahmas days...

Edited by Shtikl, 24 November 2009 - 11:00 PM.

#53 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:09 AM

With PLL and Pikkarainen being sent to Lowell for conditioning shall we hold our breath for the trickle down even if it's just for a couple games. :whistling:

#54 titansman

titansman

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:01 PM

With PLL and Pikkarainen being sent to Lowell for conditioning shall we hold our breath for the trickle down even if it's just for a couple games. :whistling:

No not at all. Prough and Kell have been sent back to Trenton. Hope they stay a while.

http://theahl.com/st...ransactions.php

#55 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:09 PM

No not at all. Prough and Kell have been sent back to Trenton. Hope they stay a while.

http://theahl.com/st...ransactions.php

Great news right there.

#56 Devils1985

Devils1985

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:03 PM

I hope they stick awhile too. Was beginning to get a little scary with Akeson out for 21. This helps big time and we'll see what the two new guys bring. This plus the win in Kalamazoo has me going into the 28th's game with a good feeling.
Posted Image

Trenton: Where we flip off the Kiss Cam.

#57 TheIceDog

TheIceDog

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:26 PM

admittedly didn't read all the points on the jay leach thing, but i just want to ask what would you have done if you were Lou? I hear many critics about this but he didn't have many options.
with oduya hurting and eventually being sent to IR there were only 6 defensemen on the club, 1 of which is right now a 6th or 7th defenseman at best (Fraser) and another who hardly looks like he could hold his own in the American League (Murphy).
i'd rather he try and call up Leach then have another situation like in 05/06... where after the malakhov fiasco we brought tommy albelin out of retirement and traded for ken klee. do you people remember ken klee. the guy played like 20 games for the devils and he is without a doubt my least favorite player to have ever played for the devils.

True, we've had our share of horrendous blueliners: Malakhov tops the list, followed some beauties such as Klee, Ken Sutton, Brad Lukowich, Richard Matvichuk, Rachunek, Routesalainen, etc., so many bums.
"You're Next".......... Scott Stevens June 20, 1995

"The difference between the Devils and the Rangers? Simple. The Devils are chasing another Stanley Cup title. The Rangers? Well, they're just trying to win a hockey game."
M. Michael Talty February 27, 2009

#58 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:44 PM

I hope they stick awhile too. Was beginning to get a little scary with Akeson out for 21. This helps big time and we'll see what the two new guys bring. This plus the win in Kalamazoo has me going into the 28th's game with a good feeling.

Probably time to be a little scared again roster wise. Looks like Zharkov and Pikkarainen are on their way back to NJ. Only thing that may help is somebody will have to come off the roster if Neidermayer indeed returns Weds. Very well could be exposing PLL to waivers to leave him in Lowell.

#59 Shtikl

Shtikl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:54 PM

Probably time to be a little scared again roster wise. Looks like Zharkov and Pikkarainen are on their way back to NJ. Only thing that may help is somebody will have to come off the roster if Neidermayer indeed returns Weds. Very well could be exposing PLL to waivers to leave him in Lowell.

We're getting Eckford back, maybe he can play Right Wing instead of Coutu. That only leaves the question of whether Perkovich's "upper body" was serious and how long he'll be out. Of course, the AHL suspended LeBlond for the slew-footing.

#60 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:08 PM

We're getting Eckford back, maybe he can play Right Wing instead of Coutu. That only leaves the question of whether Perkovich's "upper body" was serious and how long he'll be out. Of course, the AHL suspended LeBlond for the slew-footing.

I would think the PLL suspension will almost guarantee they call guys up for tonights game. Bummer.

It'll be interesting to see who goes down with a injury in Newark.

Edited by titans04, 28 November 2009 - 01:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users