43 replies to this topic

#41 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,893 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:20 PM

mottau is much better than andy greene. andy greene is a prototypical 7th defenseman - he does some stuff well, but he also does a lot of stuff poorly. he is weak in front of the net and gets beat in the corners, which doesn't make up for his slightly above average offensive potential. why mottau is thought of a 7th D at this point is only because you can't 'see' defense, but he's probably better than salvador at this point.

no one is going to find a hidden gem in andy greene. at best he's a back-pairing D.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#42 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:13 AM

Mottau scares me because he's basically a finesse d-man with no speed. Fast, talented teams can burn him, as Carolina showed last year.

Again I think that's more because of the ill-fated pairing. And fwiw it was Greene and Havelid that got hemmed in their own end on the tying goal in Game 7. Yeah White and Mottau were on the ice for the winner but that was all MB30 coughing up a hairball.

mottau is much better than andy greene. andy greene is a prototypical 7th defenseman - he does some stuff well, but he also does a lot of stuff poorly. he is weak in front of the net and gets beat in the corners, which doesn't make up for his slightly above average offensive potential.

I don't even see above average offensive potential. People think Greene can be an offensive D because of one goal in the playoffs his rookie year and he's got an okay shot. But what among his actual production leads anyone to believe that Greene will ever be even a consistent 35-40 point defenseman? He had 9 points in 49 games last year, with zero on the PP.

If anything, Murphy has the offensive potential that we haven't seen on the blueline in at least a couple years, which is why I want to get more of a look at him. Our offensive output from our d-men has been embarassing since Nieds and Raf walked out the door, and Greene's been here throughout that.

Edited by Hasan4978, 10 October 2009 - 07:18 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#43 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 12:38 PM

I know I'm the guy always ringing this bell, ....but I do it because it amazes me how many here (despite the number of chances he's been given to produce for 2 years) think that this guy is just a howitzer of an offensive D man if only given the right situation. Like a flower that never seems to blossom. and there is the argument that "he had those 3 points in that stream of three games before.....". Fact is, he's never shown enough offensive upside to make up for a lack of a defensive game.

Meanwhile, Mottau makes his fair share of mistakes, but people also quickly forget his outlet passes to Gio that tied some of those CAR playoff games, or his opening goal in the series. In addition to the fact that he's a cheap pieace that's managed to remain consistent for 2 seasons now.
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#44 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:30 PM

Mottau's still Ken Sutton to me -- no insult, but I don't love him in the top 6.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users