24 replies to this topic

#1 CMaGee

CMaGee

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 04:35 PM

On 1050 ESPN, the Jocks, I believe Wally and the Keeg were on. They are at the CAA for their show, and looking to interview a Devil for it. It was 4 hours till face off, and Lamorillo says no interviews. I can understand this 2 hours before a game, but cmon. I love what Lou has done, but he needs to have this team more media friendly. Things like this are a bit of the reason why the Finals will get a 0.9 share of the ratings. Make these guys accesable to the public, so we can get to know them better. I know some of you may not agree, or like keeping the status quo, but I think it would only help if these players were interviewed more often.

#2 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 04:47 PM

I bet Marty would have done an interview. Four hours is a bit ridiculous. Lighten up Lou.

LETS GO DEVILS! FOUR MORE WINS!
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#3 NJDF

NJDF

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 04:53 PM

Any chance this is so Marty doesn't have to hear questions about Roy??

GO DEVILS!!

#4 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,012 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 05:16 PM

Well questions about is boyhood idol are better then ones about his wife.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#5 SpeakoftheDevil(s)

SpeakoftheDevil(s)

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 05:45 PM

I dont get why anyone cares how strict the Devils policies are. I like that seclude themselves at this time.
"Weakness is provacative, it often intices people to do what they oridnarily wouldn't"

Posted Image

Steinbrenner quickly responded to the RedSox Owner, (who was complaining about the Yankees signing of ARod), saying: "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction." In regards to

#6 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 06:19 AM

4 hours before a game is usually the players rest time. Screw ESPN! I'd rather the guys get their normal routine in, instead of Smoozing with some radio guys who really don't give a sh!t about hockey anyway. To paraphrase a famous quote: "The game's the thing."
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#7 eldon

eldon

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 07:03 AM

It's just more media crap so they can talk bad about the Devils. What is most important here? The hockey games themselves or espn radio called & someone's gotta go give an interview. I'm almost positive the NHL dictates specific times the team must be available, the remainder is up to the teams.
Let's face it, Wally & the Keeg aren't really going to ask hockey intelligent questions anyway, they try to get players because they can't discuss hockey without looking dumb.
If anything, they should've tried to grab a media person, like say, someone from the Ducks media, or from anyone covering the game, like Emrick, Loughlin, Chico, even Sam Rosen, who does radio. Someone who can explain the game to them, instead of asking, dumb questions to a player.

#8 peteyvegas

peteyvegas

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 08:12 AM

I like the idea of our guys in the public eye. They have CLASS! It disappoints me whenever Louie doesn't let them speak. The sports world has too many A-holes. The Devils add dignity to what is slowly becoming the hero-less sports world.

#9 LIDevsFan1

LIDevsFan1

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 08:51 AM

It's just more media crap so they can talk bad about the Devils. What is most important here? The hockey games themselves or espn radio called & someone's gotta go give an interview. I'm almost positive the NHL dictates specific times the team must be available, the remainder is up to the teams.
Let's face it, Wally & the Keeg aren't really going to ask hockey intelligent questions anyway, they try to get players because they can't discuss hockey without looking dumb.
If anything, they should've tried to grab a media person, like say, someone from the Ducks media, or from anyone covering the game, like Emrick, Loughlin, Chico, even Sam Rosen, who does radio. Someone who can explain the game to them, instead of asking, dumb questions to a player.

The average sports media person in NY wouldn't know Turner Stevenson from Tina Turner so having a discussion of real issues such as the effects Turner and Niewy's absence, who should play D, etc. is impossible. When they do talk hockey the discussion is so token and superficial that it doesn't interest the casual sports fan and is useless to the real hockey fan. (Although at least Richard Nere took tons of Devs calls after the game.)

So b/c they have nothing interesting to say they bring up the non-issues, ratings, attendnace, etc. and this gives them a convenient excuse to go back to baseball.

I don't blame Lou---he doesn't need the players exposed to these idiots b/4 game time, esp. Marty.

#10 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 10:24 AM

Kudo's to MSG for their post-game coverage! They are doing an excellent job in getting player interviews and actually giving TIME to game coverage. Way to go MSG!
Winner of the 2004 Lady Byng Award and the 2003 and 2004 Joe Nieuwendyk award.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"He has no ego," says Lou Lamoriello, general manager of the New Jersey Devils. "I don't think he has a selfish bone in his body. It gets infectious with people around him, but that's Joe. Having him here was something very special."
And the simple truth is this -- before and after Joe Nieuwendyk, this franchise has not been as good. Yes the same could be said for others, but Nieuwendyk's effect on his team, on his team's best players, on the fans and in the community can only be compared to, well, what Jarome Iginla is doing now in Calgary. Ralph Strangis, dallasstars.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#11 Elias Sports Bureau

Elias Sports Bureau

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 10:26 AM

Thing is... the Devils ARE popular despite what ESPN doesn't do or what Lou doesn't do.

At the All-Star Game, every fifth jersey was a Devils jersey. More than Panthers, more than Wings, more than Avs, Rags, Leafs...

The Devils ARE popular.
Keeper of Patrik Elias, Alexander Mogilny and njdevs.com Keepers

"We've let the fans down. People pay good money and they've always had pride in the Devils." -- Scott Gomez

#12 LIDevsFan1

LIDevsFan1

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 10:39 AM

Kudo's to MSG for their post-game coverage! They are doing an excellent job in getting player interviews and actually giving TIME to game coverage. Way to go MSG!

the MSG post-game is great

#13 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 10:57 AM

ESPN News surprisingly has great coverage. Full post game news conferences, analysis with Ray Ferraro, etc.

Too bad only one out of every 50 people actually get that channel.

#14 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 11:02 AM

I watch that too, but MSG has better interviews.
Winner of the 2004 Lady Byng Award and the 2003 and 2004 Joe Nieuwendyk award.
"He has no ego," says Lou Lamoriello, general manager of the New Jersey Devils. "I don't think he has a selfish bone in his body. It gets infectious with people around him, but that's Joe. Having him here was something very special."
And the simple truth is this -- before and after Joe Nieuwendyk, this franchise has not been as good. Yes the same could be said for others, but Nieuwendyk's effect on his team, on his team's best players, on the fans and in the community can only be compared to, well, what Jarome Iginla is doing now in Calgary. Ralph Strangis, dallasstars.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#15 peteyvegas

peteyvegas

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 11:05 AM

Thanks, Z, I have ESPN news and never use it. Now I know.

#16 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 12:32 PM

Did MSG have post game coverage last night??? I was looking for it and they had on a baseball game. When did they go to post game activity?
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#17 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 12:38 PM

Lou restricts access even when the NHL mandates it... Im with him on it... but it doesnt help our PR.

We might just be the hockey's fan team... But hockey fans are rare... a lot of them trek to the all-star game, so of course Id expect a bunch of Devs jersey's... and Ill bet you most of them prolly never lived in Jersey or the metro.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#18 sheeps

sheeps

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 12:46 PM

Rock knows his Shakespeare!

#19 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 12:51 PM

Rock knows his Shakespeare!

Every once in a while I make an esoteric reference in my hockey posts. :rolleyes:
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#20 peteyvegas

peteyvegas

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 01:01 PM

MSG started coverage at 11pm last night, due to a regularly scheduled show at 10:30 called Angles--I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users