152 replies to this topic

#21 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:24 AM

Cameron has almost been a Yankee a few times in trade rumors, but he seems like a last resort. I'd rather bring back both Damon and Matsui than him.

#22 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,007 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:52 AM

I'm really hoping the sign Lackey. Taking a chance on guys like Sheets (who really looks like is going to Texas), Harden, and Bedard is nice in theory, but I really doubt any of those guys will be able to stay healthy and contribute. Lackey is a more reliable choice. I looked over Wolf's numbers and there pretty decent, though I'm not sure how they would translate to the AL. Lackey is the number one choice in my book plus it weakens the Angels. Adding Rafael Soriano to the bullpen would also be awesome.

Cameron is a better option than Damon so I won't mind the Yankees getting him. However, you will hear no complaints from me if they re-sign Damon. I hope they can get Holliday though.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl

My New Jersey Devils Prospect Blog
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#23 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,891 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:51 PM

I've heard Figgens' name thrown around quite a bit. Not so sure how I feel about that. Sure, he's an upgrade defensively over Damon, but if he is signed as a replacement for Damon I'd have serious qualms..

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#24 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:14 PM

I'm not a huge Cameron fan, but I would definitely be on board with Figgins. He can play multiple positions, is a switch hitter, and has high end speed. He doesn't have much power, but the Yankees don't really need more of that.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,007 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:58 PM

It's a small sample size but Figgins is horrible defensively in LF, -17.7 UZR/150. Going over his numbers the only position where he is a plus defender is 3rd base which obviously wouldn't work in NY. The most games he played in LF in a year were 16 in 2006. I don't think he is going to be worth the contract he gets or the compensation you'd have to give up to sign him, nor is he a viable option to replace Damon.

Cameron is a better choice than Figgins since he is still a plus defender and is doing it at a harder position CF (career UZR/150 5.7). He'd also come cheaper and would require less compensation.

Edit: While checking out the latest blog entries on fangraphs I found this article on why Cameron is a better option than Bay but will get overlooked.

Edited by thefiestygoat, 09 November 2009 - 09:01 PM.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#26 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:48 PM

It's a small sample size but Figgins is horrible defensively in LF, -17.7 UZR/150. Going over his numbers the only position where he is a plus defender is 3rd base which obviously wouldn't work in NY. The most games he played in LF in a year were 16 in 2006. I don't think he is going to be worth the contract he gets or the compensation you'd have to give up to sign him, nor is he a viable option to replace Damon.

Cameron is a better choice than Figgins since he is still a plus defender and is doing it at a harder position CF (career UZR/150 5.7). He'd also come cheaper and would require less compensation.

Edit: While checking out the latest blog entries on fangraphs I found this article on why Cameron is a better option than Bay but will get overlooked.

I agree that Cameron is a good player that will probably come at a great price, but I don't think that he is the player that the Yankees would need. Looking at his stats, he is pretty much the exact same player as Nick Swisher, in that he never hits over .260 and hits around 25 HRs. Plus Cameron is 36-37 years old. I just don't think that the Yanks need another guy in the line-up whose only job is to hit home-runs, especially one who doesn't hit for average. I would like add more speed to their game, and I think Figgins could be an option. Yeah, he's not a real replacement for Damon (I'd actually like them to re-sign Johnny) in that he won't hit for nearly as much power, but Cameron wouldn't get on base as much.

As far as defense goes, I haven't seen Cameron much, and he probably is a better defender than Chone. I still hold to my other point that Figgins would bring more to the team than Cameron, should the Yanks not re-sign Damon.

As I said earlier though, I think this argument is moot. I don't think the Yanks will be nearly as big of players as most people seem to think they will be this off-season.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#27 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,007 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:30 PM

I agree that Cameron is a good player that will probably come at a great price, but I don't think that he is the player that the Yankees would need. Looking at his stats, he is pretty much the exact same player as Nick Swisher, in that he never hits over .260 and hits around 25 HRs. Plus Cameron is 36-37 years old. I just don't think that the Yanks need another guy in the line-up whose only job is to hit home-runs, especially one who doesn't hit for average. I would like add more speed to their game, and I think Figgins could be an option. Yeah, he's not a real replacement for Damon (I'd actually like them to re-sign Johnny) in that he won't hit for nearly as much power, but Cameron wouldn't get on base as much.

As far as defense goes, I haven't seen Cameron much, and he probably is a better defender than Chone. I still hold to my other point that Figgins would bring more to the team than Cameron, should the Yanks not re-sign Damon.

As I said earlier though, I think this argument is moot. I don't think the Yanks will be nearly as big of players as most people seem to think they will be this off-season.

I'm on the record being fine with them either signing Holliday or re-upping Damon, but if they don't do either of those I really think they should look into a guy like Cameron, especially over Figgins.

Cameron's addition to the line up would not be to hit home runs but to provide plus defense in the outfield. While his offensive skill set is similar to Swisher's his real value is adding quality defense to a team that could use the upgrade there plus he isn't going to be a liability offensively. Also Cameron has a better offensive track record for his career in comparison to Figgins and they were very close in offensive production last year.

Cameron 09: 111 OPS+ .346 wOBA 84 wRC
Figgins 09: 108 OPS+ .358 wOBA 82.8 wRC

Number wise I'd give Figgins a slight edge offensively but defensively he takes away from his value while Cameron adds to his value since were talking about adding to the outfield.

With Cameron being underrated I don't think you have to worry about age since you could probably get him on a short deal. I understand the point on the speed aspect Figgins brings but I'm not really big on the running game being as crucial as people think it is. Figgins is a helluva player but I just don't see a role for him that would fit the contract they'd have to give him.

This argument is moot but I'm bored and the offseason is a bit from heating up so I felt the need to respond.

#28 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,891 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:35 PM

What about Nick Johnson? Just throwing a name around.

Posted Image

#29 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,891 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:39 PM

Imagine, just for fun, they don't re-sign Damon and Matsui; and instead upgrade to Matt Holliday and Nick Johnson.

Jeter
Johnson
Tex
A-Rod
Holliday (most dangerous 3-4-5 in the history of baseball, much?)
Cano
Posada
Swisher
(Melkey/Gardner/AJax)

that's... fun to type. Heh.

Posted Image

#30 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,007 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:57 PM

Johnson is certainly an interesting option and I always liked him from his Yankee days. I'm honestly not sure what the best option is for a DH for the Yankees since I've been so focused on LF lately. I'd like to here what other people have to say about him. If they don't bring back Matsui he is definitely a guy I can see them going at.

#31 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:20 AM

Johnson is certainly an interesting option and I always liked him from his Yankee days. I'm honestly not sure what the best option is for a DH for the Yankees since I've been so focused on LF lately. I'd like to here what other people have to say about him. If they don't bring back Matsui he is definitely a guy I can see them going at.

if he's only gonna play part time then fine since it would limit the impact of him getting injured again and while the yankees want to use the DH for off days for older players, they do need an most-day guy so why not Nick?
Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#32 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,955 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:13 AM

Nick Johnson is an on-base machine; .414 OBP last year, .402 OBP career. He doesn't have too much HR-power but I could see him hitting 15-20 HR from playing in Yankees Stadium for ~81 games.

If I were NYY I would try to land Dunn for a package built around Gardner and Cabrera (although I'm not sure Washington would want more outfielders), theres your DH, and then sign Mike Cameron to play CF for 1 year. That does leave LF open, but at the point you could probably just resign Damon or make a trade for DeJesus... or just sign Holliday.

Edited by nmigliore, 10 November 2009 - 10:18 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#33 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,955 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:16 AM

(edit: double post)

Edited by nmigliore, 10 November 2009 - 10:16 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#34 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:31 PM

Nick Johnson is an on-base machine; .414 OBP last year, .402 OBP career. He doesn't have too much HR-power but I could see him hitting 15-20 HR from playing in Yankees Stadium for ~81 games.

If I were NYY I would try to land Dunn for a package built around Gardner and Cabrera (although I'm not sure Washington would want more outfielders), theres your DH, and then sign Mike Cameron to play CF for 1 year. That does leave LF open, but at the point you could probably just resign Damon or make a trade for DeJesus... or just sign Holliday.

I'd be fine with Dunn since he's only got one year left on the deal with the Natties but do they want Melky for him? But I guess they couldn't get much more than a 4th outfielder type for a rental of a decent player who could be lethal at Yankee Stadium. And about LF, they'll most likely bring Damon back and then see what's what after that. But please don't get Holliday, I'm just scared to death of him in the AL with a huge contract

#35 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:47 PM

But please don't get Holliday, I'm just scared to death of him in the AL with a huge contract

That's silly. Playing for Oakland is a lot different than playing for the Yankees. He had no protection whatsoever in Oakland. He was on fire with the Cards because of the protection in the lineup.

I dont want him to get an A-Rod or Tex like length of a deal (Thats reserved for Joe Mauer next year), but 6-7 would be fine. I dont care about money when it comes to the Yankees lol. Its not like a hockey deal.

#36 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:45 PM

That's silly. Playing for Oakland is a lot different than playing for the Yankees. He had no protection whatsoever in Oakland. He was on fire with the Cards because of the protection in the lineup.

protection's overrated. I just don't think Matt Holliday is worthy of what he'll get and might be another Giambi, productive at first, but then just taking up space toward the end of the contract
in depth study of protection

And it's not the money I'm worried about with the huge contract, it's him not having as good a year, though his worst production came in the first half of his contract year with Oakland

#37 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,891 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:27 PM

I dont want him to get an A-Rod or Tex like length of a deal (Thats reserved for Joe Mauer next year), but 6-7 would be fine. I dont care about money when it comes to the Yankees lol. Its not like a hockey deal.

I would be willing to bet alot of money-- a lot-- that Mauer will never be anywhere close to a Free Agent.

I would be willing to bet alot of money-- a lot-- that Mauer will never be anywhere close to a Free Agent.

Posted Image

#38 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:54 PM

I'd like Nick Johnson, a good value there. He could be a nice piece as a DH/part-time 1B (when giving Tex a day off). He is not an true outfielder though.

If Dunn were a FA, I would consider him, but as far as trading Gardner or Melky for him, NO. He is only valuable on a team that has no HR threat, and that is certainly not the Yankees.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#39 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,955 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:57 PM

If Dunn were a FA, I would consider him, but as far as trading Gardner or Melky for him, NO. He is only valuable on a team that has no HR threat, and that is certainly not the Yankees.

He also gets on base at a pretty high rate too, that's quite important. And replacing Cabrera with Cameron is an instant upgrade in CF. But I think a lot of that may depend on how Yankees fans feel about Austin Jackson as their future CF'er.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#40 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,007 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:40 PM

I'd be on board with them trading Melky + for Dunn to be the DH and then signing Cameron for CF. That's a solid upgrade at DH and CF.

Forgot about it until today but Damon is a Boras client - may be very hard to get him on a short deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users