152 replies to this topic

#41 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:05 PM

I'd be on board with them trading Melky + for Dunn to be the DH and then signing Cameron for CF. That's a solid upgrade at DH and CF.

Forgot about it until today but Damon is a Boras client - may be very hard to get him on a short deal.

I wouldn't worry about that. I forget where, but I thought I heard Johnny say that he wants to be on a winner first-and-foremost, even if it means sacrificing years.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#42 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:05 AM

Courtesy MLB Trade Rumors:

"Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports that the Yankees have interest in retaining both Damon and Matsui to one-year deals. In another article, Joel Sherman of the New York Post hears that the World Champions will try to re-sign both players, plus Andy Pettitte. The Yankees are intent on retaining all their own free agents, then are planning on acquiring Matt Holliday, Jason Bay and John Lackey."

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#43 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:33 PM

Courtesy MLB Trade Rumors:

"Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports that the Yankees have interest in retaining both Damon and Matsui to one-year deals. In another article, Joel Sherman of the New York Post hears that the World Champions will try to re-sign both players, plus Andy Pettitte. The Yankees are intent on retaining all their own free agents, then are planning on acquiring Matt Holliday, Jason Bay and John Lackey."

:blink: That's ambitious.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#44 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:53 PM

Are you sure it's "and" John Lackey? If they ever re-signed Damon, Matsui, and Pettite and added Holliday, Bay, AND Lackey, I I don't think 120+ wins would be out of the question... I can't even think of what our lineup would look like...

1. Jeter (SS)
2. Damon (DH)
3. Tex (1B)
4. A-Rod (3B)
5. Holliday (LF)
6. Bay (RF)
7. Posada ©
8. Cano (2B)
9. Melkey (CF)

?

:blink:

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#45 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,195 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:05 PM

I don't see them adding both Holliday and Bay despite what happens with Damon and Matsui. Adding Holliday won't surprise me, adding Bay would shock me.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#46 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:49 PM

Report that the Yankees re-signed Brian Bruney, 1 year, mandatory 20% raise to 1.5 m.

Posted Image

#47 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:03 PM

I don't see them adding both Holliday and Bay despite what happens with Damon and Matsui. Adding Holliday won't surprise me, adding Bay would shock me.

the only reason they'd add bay is to go against the Red Sox, but he hit something like .270 and was a well below average LF. I'd rather have Holliday, and as previously stated am not his biggest fan. Let's bring back Johnny hopefully on a one or two year deal and see where he goes and spend our money on Joe Mauer next year (assuming he hits the market) because as Cash and Hal have said there is some kind of budget and Cash had to twist Hal's arm to sign Tex last year, so let's just wait for next year and stay with Damon
Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#48 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:11 AM

Report that the Yankees re-signed Brian Bruney, 1 year, mandatory 20% raise to 1.5 m.

Servicable and a move I can't complain about or praise.

Id love it for the Yankees to give the middle finger to everyone and get Holliday, Bay, and Lackey :yea: They can still get Mauer for chrissakes. There is no salary cap and the Yankees just dont care, nor should they. Bay is a good pickup and is an upgrade in right or left.

I dont believe Cash and Hal about the "budget" in any way shape or form. I think they say that to save a "little bit" of face. You dont pass up the best catcher in the game.

The Evil Empire hath returned!

DH Damon
SS Jeter
1B Tex
SS A-Rod
LF/RF Holliday
RF/LF Bay
C Posada
2B Cano
CF Gardner

Bench:
Swish, Matsui, Thatguy, Thatotherguy, Melky

P CC
P AJ
P Lackeykins
P Pettitte
P Joba/Hughes/Wang/Whosyodaddy?

That is too nasty to pass up and next year, slip Mauer into Posada's spot and swap him with Holliday or Tex in the lineup w/ Posada off the bench. Boo yowwwwwwww.

Edited by ghdi, 12 November 2009 - 02:21 AM.

#49 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,195 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:54 AM

I don't see he purpose in signing Bay. Once his offense slips and his defense just gets even more atrocious he isn't going to be a good player during the final years of that contract. Bay was worth a half win more than Damon last year and that was the first time since 2006 he was worth more than Damon. I hope they go after Holliday who is the far superior player or go at Cameron or bring back Damon. I don't think they should just spend money for the sake of spending it. I'm very interested in seeing if they can swing a deal for Dunn for something centered around Cabrera. He'd be a helluva DH. I wouldn't mind an outfield of Holliday in LF, Cameron in CF, Swisher in RF, with Gardner backing up.

I've read some interesting stuff on why they shouldn't sign Lackey due to the stronger free agent pitching class next year, but I just think that when you have a team capable of repeating and could use another solid starter, you should sign a guy like him.

This is just my opinion but I just think the Twins are going to lock up Mauer.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#50 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,212 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:27 AM

I know the Yankees have no problem opening their wallets but you guys are crazy if you think you are getting Holliday and Bay, let alone that whole trio of Holliday, Bay, and Lackey. Plus that one quote doesn't even make sense -- if the Yankees resigned Damon (LF), Matsui (DH), and Pettitte, where do Bay and Holliday fit?

They would have a hell of a team again next year if they acquired Dunn to be their DH and then stuck Cameron in CF. I'm not sure what the Yankees plan to do with Joba and Hughes but they should probably look to add a durable starter at the back of the rotation too.

And yeah the free agent starting pitcher class next year is a lot better than what it is this year. That's why I'll be alright if my Mets don't pursue Lackey.

Edited by nmigliore, 12 November 2009 - 10:32 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#51 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,195 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:26 PM

nomaas on why they should sign Holliday

#52 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:32 PM

the yankees don't have to sign lackey, but they've gotta bring in somebody to be the 4th starter if joba/hughes can't get it done next year. somebody like Randy Wolf/Erik Bedard though Bedard will probably get a lot, so maybe even lower (it is just the 4th starter and they just won without one) like Duchsherer, Washburn or even Marquis. Pavano's around them too, but ya know, I'd rather have them give a 10 year $300 million contract to Rich Harden than bring him back

#53 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:46 PM

I know the Yankees have no problem opening their wallets but you guys are crazy if you think you are getting Holliday and Bay, let alone that whole trio of Holliday, Bay, and Lackey. Plus that one quote doesn't even make sense -- if the Yankees resigned Damon (LF), Matsui (DH), and Pettitte, where do Bay and Holliday fit?

They would have a hell of a team again next year if they acquired Dunn to be their DH and then stuck Cameron in CF. I'm not sure what the Yankees plan to do with Joba and Hughes but they should probably look to add a durable starter at the back of the rotation too.

And yeah the free agent starting pitcher class next year is a lot better than what it is this year. That's why I'll be alright if my Mets don't pursue Lackey.

Never once did I say I expected them too, I questioned whether the article misspoke... nobody's expecting even just one of them, let alone 3.

Posted Image

#54 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:22 PM

Red Sox want Hideki Matsui

I really hope this is nothing more than a rumor. I would cringe watching our WS MVP in a Sox uniform.

Edited by nyrsuck26, 12 November 2009 - 06:23 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#55 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,195 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:27 PM

Red Sox want Hideki Matsui

I really hope this is nothing more than a rumor. I would cringe watching our WS MVP in a Sox uniform.

It's so hard to tell whats bs and whats not. As fans all we can do is speculate and since I'm bored I'm going to speculate that the Red Sox are just trying to drive up his price/length to make it harder for the Yankees to retain him if Cashman even wants to.

#56 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:01 AM

If Matsui went to the Sox, I can honestly say that would hurt the least of any Yankee leaving in recent memory and to the Sox its almost negligible to me because of the player. Its basically a slap in the face, but it still doesnt match to us getting Wade Boggs a ring and bringing Johnny Damon over, and basically ripping Tex right out of their hands, Clemens winning with the Yankees, etc. Matsui is on a downcline, despite his accomplishments in the post. He's reguarly hurt and if he left, it just doesn't hurt as much as other players would. I would rather see him on the team or go to Seattle.

Matt Holliday needs to be a Yankee. A-Rod being protected by Tex and Holliday for the next 4-5 years AT LEAST. They're all in their primes.

Damon DH
Jeter SS
Tex 1B
A-Rod 3B
Holliday LF
Posada C

THAT will re-define "Murderer's Row" (1927 - 1st 6 hitters) for the first few years, although the 27 will forever have that title.

How would people feel if Damon went back to the Sox? I'd rather keep Damon than Matsui.

Edited by ghdi, 14 November 2009 - 04:08 AM.

#57 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:53 AM

How would people feel if Damon went back to the Sox? I'd rather keep Damon than Matsui.

I agree that losing Damon would be a bigger loss, but quite frankly, I don't want to lose anyone to the Sox.

Edited by nyrsuck26, 14 November 2009 - 09:53 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#58 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,212 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:07 AM

I don't know why the Red Sox would have any interest in Matsui; he's a DH, the Red Sox aren't going to pay for 2 DH's when they already have Ortiz (even though hes coming off a down year: 0.7 WAR).

Whats even funnier was this quote: "Boston is reportedly considering Matsui as an alternative to Jason Bay. According to an insider quoted in Nikkan Sports, the BoSox are preparing a multi-year offer for Matsui to be the team’s regular left fielder." - multi year offer to be their regular left fielder, lol?

Seems like they are just trying to drive up his price.

Edited by nmigliore, 14 November 2009 - 11:16 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#59 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:31 PM

I don't know why the Red Sox would have any interest in Matsui; he's a DH, the Red Sox aren't going to pay for 2 DH's when they already have Ortiz (even though hes coming off a down year: 0.7 WAR).

Whats even funnier was this quote: "Boston is reportedly considering Matsui as an alternative to Jason Bay. According to an insider quoted in Nikkan Sports, the BoSox are preparing a multi-year offer for Matsui to be the team’s regular left fielder." - multi year offer to be their regular left fielder, lol?

Seems like they are just trying to drive up his price.

I guess if he could play back in the field anywhere, it would be at Fenway, but that has trainwreck written all over it

Edited by DH26, 14 November 2009 - 12:31 PM.

#60 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:06 PM

What are y'all's thoughts on Aroldis Chapman?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users