97 replies to this topic

#21 forfelix

forfelix

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:55 AM

cant remember ever hearing the MAR-TIN chant at the new arena. it used to be a huge chant at the CAA after huge saves, they even had an animation on the video screen for it. the D-E-V-I-L-S also needs a new charismatic leader like the old days.

#22 SegaDevil

SegaDevil

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:20 AM

Stop chanting You Suck after goals.

All beer stands should be changed to tea stands.

And you should be required to cross your legs like a proper gentleman at all times.

#23 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:22 AM

We could always do it Cornell style and chant "SIEVE! SIEVE! SIEVE! SIEVE! ITS ALL YOUR FAULT! ITS ALL YOUR FAULT!" while pointing at the other team's goalie....

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#24 Baggy Spandex

Baggy Spandex

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:38 AM

And you should be required to cross your legs like a proper gentleman at all times.

LOL. This.
"Marion Gaborik scored his 65th, 66th, 67th, and 68th goals of the season tonight.

However, The Rangers were beaten by the Maple Leafs 6-4. Rather than bore you with those highlights, let's enjoy yet another encore presentation of our great MSG documentary, "1994: The Year We Can't Stop Thinking About" " - Warren

#25 pattyelias

pattyelias

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:06 AM

Uh no. I'm a lunatic at the games. 'You suck' after every goal just happens to be stupid.

#26 justintime2989

justintime2989

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:35 AM

The best was when we were losing to the Flyers on opening night 5-0, and a goal to make it 5-1 brought about the wonderful 'You Suck' chant. I think the whole chant is stupid overall, but even if you like it, have a fvcking clue of when to say it.

yea id dint even do you suck there since i knew no way in hell we were coming back. so didnt really celebrate just little happy.

#27 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:51 AM

it's negative. that is my problem. it emphasizes the fact that the other team gave up a goal instead of the fact that our team scored. and one wonders why there are so many negative fans around here - our fan base is obsessed with being not-rangers and not-team-that-just-got-scored-on.

i get the douchechills every time i am at a game after a goal is scored. shouldn't happen like that.

This.

#28 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,723 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:01 AM

Does anyone really think that asking or telling fans not to chant "You suck" after a goal is magically going to stop them?

If people hate it that much it will go away on its own.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#29 eldon

eldon

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:10 AM

I'm all for a new song which would stop the 'you suck'. Just because we're rowdy hockey
fans doesn't mean we should shout insults which you have to explain to kids or cover
ears for. And yes, for the most part, hockey should be enjoyed by families & kids too,
they're the future fans. And why is it, when I type, the words go over into the smiley
faces & disappear? Does that happen to anyone else?

#30 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:14 AM

When we were in the Press Box over your section we heard some girl keep trying to get the Let's Go Devils thing going. 208/9 is louder and way funnier. You know this. :D

I think this was the Islanders game? Half our section was Isles fans yelling at us.. We wasted our energy yelling back at them.. We're more of a comedic area than 209/8.. I think having fewer STH doesn't help either as we usually have a few fans for the other team in our section (and the usual Rangers fan wearing his jersey to a non-Devs v. Rags game)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Which brings me to this thread.. When I have to sit mere feet away from a bunch of loudmouth obnoxious Islanders fans saying things like "Hey where are all your fans?!" or (after the Isles goal) "Yann DANIS!! Thank god we got rid of him!!" then OF COURSE i'm going to yell YOU SUCK after the Devils goals.. Tell me otherwise and i'll chant it at you

Edited by Colin226, 10 November 2009 - 09:18 AM.

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#31 justintime2989

justintime2989

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:16 AM

personally i like the "you suck" part of the chant, unless getting destroyed like game opener and said it was stupid since looked like we sucked

#32 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,723 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:19 AM

I'm all for a new song which would stop the 'you suck'. Just because we're rowdy hockey
fans doesn't mean we should shout insults which you have to explain to kids or cover
ears for. And yes, for the most part, hockey should be enjoyed by families & kids too,
they're the future fans. And why is it, when I type, the words go over into the smiley
faces & disappear? Does that happen to anyone else?

I have a kid too, and I plan on taking her to hockey games in the near future, but I don't kid myself...she's going to hear worse on TV, from her future classmates and playmates...hell, even from the players on the ice if we sit close enough. If you do your job as a parent, explain various behaviors of others as they happen, and don't expect the outside world to sanitize itself in your child's presence because you decided to reproduce (not YOU specifically of course, I'm speaking generally), then it's really not that much of a problem.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#33 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:19 AM

personally i like the "you suck" part of the chant, unless getting destroyed like game opener and said it was stupid since looked like we sucked

I did it during that game but I was being sarcastic.. I figured everyone else was too

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#34 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:21 AM

I agree but don't get your hopes up on Devils fans becoming classy. I'm not sure where it comes from. Maybe it's just the Jersey way? I haven't been to a Nets game so I'm not sure if the same kinda stuff goes on there.
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#35 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:25 AM

I have a kid too, and I plan on taking her to hockey games in the near future, but I don't kid myself...she's going to hear worse on TV, from her future classmates and playmates...hell, even from the players on the ice if we sit close enough. If you do your job as a parent, explain various behaviors of others as they happen, and don't expect the outside world to sanitize itself in your child's presence because you decided to reproduce (not YOU specifically of course, I'm speaking generally), then it's really not that much of a problem.

How do I type a standing ovation? Not to get off topic but this is how to be a parent.. I know so many kids who were sheltered growing up and ended up just getting mixed in with the bad crowd.. Obviously there is a line at games and some words should not be said, but "you suck" is about as harmless as any insult can get..

#36 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:52 AM

I hate it too and would support changing the goal song if necessary.

I'm embarrassed when I hear it to be a Devils fan.

edit: I also hate the Rangers suck chant, I think that chant's really pathetic.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman, 10 November 2009 - 09:53 AM.

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#37 itsfknnikp

itsfknnikp

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:01 AM

My two cents:

"Hey you suck!" was started at U of Maryland and is now chanted at U of Del, a Texas college which I forget, Baltimore Ravens, Washington Redskins, and Nashville Predators. Those are the only ones I know of and I'm sure there are plenty more. This won't be fading away. In my opinion, worse things are said on TV during daytime hours.

When I attended U of Maryland basketball games, the chant was yelled by 3/4 of the crowd, was very loud, and intimidated the opposing players. You could actually see their demeanor change. With that said, I don't expect professional NHL players to be phased by "you suck"; however I think taunting a goalie certainly can affect his performance. It would be nice to have a home-ice advantage, whatever it may be.

#38 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:03 AM

I don't mind it too too much....

But I think some fans should take their heads out of their asses and while we are losing or getting demolished like opening night or the Buffalo and Atlanta games, DON'T DO THE RANGERS SUCK OR YOU SUCK CHANTS. IT'S EMBARRASSING WHILE OUR TEAM IS GETTING CRAPPED ON.

#39 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:03 AM

when a goalie gives up a softie against us, there is no better way to taunt him and get him nervous. I don't think we should do it for every goal, but the softies will play with his mind. also, if we are getting blow out of water and we get one, please shut your mouth, no one cares that we are now only losing by 4 goals.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#40 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,815 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:06 AM

at least
HEY
YOU SUCK

<insert team we're actually playing> SUCKS

... this chant has something to do with the team ACTUALLY BEING PLAYED....

doing the idiot Rangers Suck whistle during a December game vs Calgary... really?? in 2009??? That needs to go.....
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users