97 replies to this topic

#41 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:11 AM

when a goalie gives up a softie against us, there is no better way to taunt him and get him nervous. I don't think we should do it for every goal, but the softies will play with his mind. also, if we are getting blow out of water and we get one, please shut your mouth, no one cares that we are now only losing by 4 goals.

Yeah but then you run into a debate during the game on which goal is a softy and you are also giving a lot of people in the arena too much credit to actually KNOW hockey.

I see quite a bit of over makeup-ed faces and over hair sprayed hair on trashy girls running around the arena that just yell out whatever anyone around them is saying to look like they know something. Yes the same girls that wouldn't recognize Marty Brodeur if he was running the checkout counter at Sephora.

#42 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:27 AM

hey i can't control the masses, i just speak for myself and when i chant it. i think it's a hilarious chant when done right.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#43 britoon

britoon

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:34 AM

Yes, save the "sucks" chant for after they announce the starters for the opposing team.

Edited by britoon, 10 November 2009 - 10:34 AM.

Posted Image

"Hockey is a beautiful, well-choreographed, symphony of violence
...a mixture of talent, grace and gladiatorial combat."

#44 bpcdev

bpcdev

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:41 AM

I say keep it, and keep on chanting it. We already lack enough crowd passion and energy during games. This just adds that extra raucous element that is sorely missing amongst most Devs fans that I see at games.
Posted Image

#45 langenmuffin

langenmuffin

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:49 PM

-Begin Rant -

Seriously people?!?!?

First of all, am I reading this correctly? Some of you are for changing the goal song?!?! How quickly we forget how pissed off everyone was whey they took RR Pt 2 away... I worked for the team at the time and had to listen to hundreds of fans call and complain about Ole. I can't tell you how many times I heard lines like "I just can't enjoy Devils hockey without RR pt 2".... You all made my life miserable for months with those phone calls (maybe not YOU all, but fans in general)...Now the team gives you the song back and you're complaining because people are adding to it?!?! Get over yourself and just be happy they scored an effin goal! :argh:

I do, however, agree with general consensus on the Rangers suck chant... that is juvenile and really needs to go unless we're playing the Rags. I love that there are people willing to cheer/chant, but perhaps we change it to <team we're playing> sucks? (and if you have a problem with "sucks" in general... grow up! Kids are going to hear it somewhere else anyway. It's a hockey game, not a playground).

-end rant-

#46 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:50 PM

doing the idiot Rangers Suck whistle during a December game vs Calgary... really?? in 2009??? That needs to go.....

lol yea.
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#47 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:53 PM

-Begin Rant -

Seriously people?!?!?

First of all, am I reading this correctly? Some of you are for changing the goal song?!?! How quickly we forget how pissed off everyone was whey they took RR Pt 2 away... I worked for the team at the time and had to listen to hundreds of fans call and complain about Ole. I can't tell you how many times I heard lines like "I just can't enjoy Devils hockey without RR pt 2".... You all made my life miserable for months with those phone calls (maybe not YOU all, but fans in general)...Now the team gives you the song back and you're complaining because people are adding to it?!?! Get over yourself and just be happy they scored an effin goal! :argh:

+1

#48 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:57 PM

-Begin Rant -

Seriously people?!?!?

I do, however, agree with general consensus on the Rangers suck chant... that is juvenile and really needs to go unless we're playing the Rags. I love that there are people willing to cheer/chant, but perhaps we change it to <team we're playing> sucks? (and if you have a problem with "sucks" in general... grow up! Kids are going to hear it somewhere else anyway. It's a hockey game, not a playground).

-end rant-

+2

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#49 gionta182

gionta182

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:19 PM

-Begin Rant -

Seriously people?!?!?

-end rant-

:thumbsup:
"I was just happy I didn't have anymore facial damage. Luckily it was Mike Mottau shooting the puck; He can't hurt a fly with that shot." - Devils center Bobby Holik after being credited with a goal against the Ducks on 1/11/09 after a puck deflected off his helmet and into the net

#50 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:48 PM

And you should be required to cross your legs like a proper gentleman at all times.

Gentlemen are supposed to cross their legs?

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#51 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:31 PM

Gentlemen are supposed to cross their legs?

RR Part 2 should definitely remain the goal song. I think chanting "YOU SUCK" is pretty lame. Back at CAA this never occurred, and people just enjoyed yelling out the "HEY!" during the song.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#52 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:15 PM

-Begin Rant -

Seriously people?!?!?

-end rant-

well i'm going to counter-rant, although i am sorry that you had to listen to devils fans' complaints.

a goal is the galvanizing moment for the crowd - the time when fans can be happy and celebrate. but the devils' fans are not celebrating - they are pointing out the other team's failure. and do you know who does that? losers. losers do that. that's why loser franchises like nashville and the islanders do it, teams that haven't won a playoff round either ever or in 15 years. and if you got beat by nashville or the islanders on most nights, the fans were right, you do suck. but the devils aren't a loser franchise - a lot of their fans don't realize it, but they're not. there's no need to act like that. it comes from the same place as the rangers suck chant when the devils are down 4-1 against edmonton.

i don't like rooting for a loser franchise.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#53 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:29 PM

-Begin Rant -

Seriously people?!?!?

First of all, ...

I prefer in order:

1. Unaltered RR part 2
2. Another Song
3. Altered RR part 2 with "You suck"

I realize you are frustrated from your position in the company, but I don't think my position is that hard to understand, and I don't think I need to "get over myself." I think its classless for one, but what really annoys me is what Triumph states. Insulting someone is the trademark of the insecure. I don't enjoy rooting for a team that feels the need to insult the other team when celebrating (and especially the Rangers for no reason whatsoever). I think it's lame and frequently pathetic.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman, 10 November 2009 - 04:30 PM.

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#54 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:52 PM

I reserve the right to tell people they suck, especially when they do. I agree with everyone who said don't break out the you suck when we're getting blown out of the water, but heckling is a part of sports, and lots of fans, secure or not, heckle. The people whining about Devils fans image or insecurity are the ones who are insecure, the rest of us are enjoying a time honored fan tradition. I'm not saying we shouldn't censor ourselves a little, or that everyone should chant you suck, but there's nothing wrong with yelling it.

Also, my favorite cheer is (insert name here) you suck. AND I HOPE YOU DIE!

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#55 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:19 PM

I LOVE "YOU SUCK" AFTER GOALS! IT MUST NEVER CHANGE!

Seriously though, it's become part of the game experience for me. At least our fans are passionate enough to cheer stuff like this, the "Rangers suck!" chant, etc. unlike other places where the fans just sit there until a goal and then have a generic goal celebration.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#56 itsfknnikp

itsfknnikp

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:24 PM

well i'm going to counter-rant, although i am sorry that you had to listen to devils fans' complaints.

a goal is the galvanizing moment for the crowd - the time when fans can be happy and celebrate. but the devils' fans are not celebrating - they are pointing out the other team's failure. and do you know who does that? losers. losers do that. that's why loser franchises like nashville and the islanders do it, teams that haven't won a playoff round either ever or in 15 years. and if you got beat by nashville or the islanders on most nights, the fans were right, you do suck. but the devils aren't a loser franchise - a lot of their fans don't realize it, but they're not. there's no need to act like that. it comes from the same place as the rangers suck chant when the devils are down 4-1 against edmonton.

i don't like rooting for a loser franchise.

lol at your logic. does that mean duke basketball is a loser franchise(college)?

#57 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,341 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:00 PM

Can we also get rid of the "HOOT" after "Lets Go Mets!"
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#58 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:25 PM

I LOVE "YOU SUCK" AFTER GOALS! IT MUST NEVER CHANGE!

Seriously though, it's become part of the game experience for me. At least our fans are passionate enough to cheer stuff like this, the "Rangers suck!" chant, etc. unlike other places where the fans just sit there until a goal and then have a generic goal celebration.

by other places do you mean the rock? Cause the only chants we seem to do is the "You suck" after goals. Even the "rangers suck" chant seems to be dying down.
Devils.

#59 langenmuffin

langenmuffin

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:03 PM

I prefer in order:

1. Unaltered RR part 2
2. Another Song
3. Altered RR part 2 with "You suck"

I realize you are frustrated from your position in the company, but I don't think my position is that hard to understand, and I don't think I need to "get over myself." I think its classless for one, but what really annoys me is what Triumph states. Insulting someone is the trademark of the insecure. I don't enjoy rooting for a team that feels the need to insult the other team when celebrating (and especially the Rangers for no reason whatsoever). I think it's lame and frequently pathetic.

I personally don't use the "You Suck" when celebrating, but I'm certainly not going to let other people saying it ruin my enjoyment of the goal. Just like I hate smokers, but I'm not going to let the fact that someone smokes near me ruin my day. People are always going to do things that you don't agree with. In my opinion, letting it get to you is neither smart nor healthy. There's enough stress in life... how the guy next to you celebrates a goal should be at the bottom of the list of worries in today's world.
The team itself does not feel the need to insult the other team while celebrating. It's actually quite the opposite, for the most part the players have a very high respect for their opponent (with obvious exceptions when it comes to Brodeur/Avery). I don't understand why your seat neighbor saying "You Suck" after a goal should have any effect on your ability or willingness to root for the team.

Edited by langenmuffin, 11 November 2009 - 07:49 AM.

#60 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:07 PM

by other places do you mean the rock? Cause the only chants we seem to do is the "You suck" after goals. Even the "rangers suck" chant seems to be dying down.

My bad, I should have worded that better. I was referring to fans of some other teams that just sit there and clap, if they do anything. And, I don't think "rangers suck" is dying down, but that could just be me.

Edited by nyrsuck26, 10 November 2009 - 10:10 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users