101 replies to this topic

#41 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:53 PM

Stan said it feels a little like a playoff game. I agree. Good game so far after two.

GO DEVILS

#42 Cowutopia

Cowutopia

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:08 PM

ANDY GREENE fvck AWFUL TURNOVER

We started off this game incredibly and everything's been slowly falling off all game. Oduya and Greene both had sh!tty plays on defense to allow goals, and Elias's offensive zone penalty hurt us too. Stupid.

It's been a pretty good game but the Devils haven't been pushing back offensively enough. Once Detroit got their legs it's been a problem. Many Devils look to be laboring while trying to match up with Detroit's speed, though we've been winning the majority of the board battles.

Looks like today's 4th line has gotten more minutes than most 4th lines because we've had a lead but everyone looks a little beat in this third playing 2 games in 2 nights.

Edited by Cowutopia, 05 December 2009 - 09:12 PM.

#43 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:18 PM

speaking of the #2 .... How bout some friggin SOG!!!

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#44 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:26 PM

thank god we earn a point at least.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#45 Cowutopia

Cowutopia

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:33 PM

Great game. Too bad there are shootouts.

#46 Dr Death

Dr Death

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:34 PM

Here comes the shoot out :gd:

I still think its stupid! Might be one of the few !
Posted Image

#47 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:36 PM

Let's go with Johnny Zach and Rob ...

hee hee

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#48 Stolen

Stolen

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:42 PM

NICE!

#49 Dr Death

Dr Death

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:42 PM

Still hate the shoot out!

Nice poke by Elias! :cheers:

Buffalo on Monday. Should be a good game. Sabres man-handled the Devs in the first meeting!
Posted Image

#50 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:43 PM

Have a feeling this is going to be a great game.

God, I am good.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#51 Cowutopia

Cowutopia

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:43 PM

man I'm going to die early because of all these games. My heart beats way too fast and it's spending my future heart equity.

#52 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:47 PM

Good game, but giving opposition numerous opportunities to stay alive still worries me...

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#53 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:47 PM

Good win. We need to stay out of the box though.
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#54 Stolen

Stolen

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:48 PM

shoulda went to the game....it sucks cuz u go to so many bad ones and then you're turned off...well, some people...and then you don't go to a bunch unless its college/family night or a Cup game or something....I started watching during the Shootout and im getting texts saying we shoulda went.

#55 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,223 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:51 PM

That was what I call an entertaining hockey game. Glad we came out on top, but as chic' said: neither team deserved to lose that one.

Here comes the shoot out :gd:

I still think its stupid! Might be one of the few !

One of the few? Trust me, you're in the majority. Unless you're a 10 year old, or a "new" hockey fan, you probably agree that the shootout is a stupid marketing ploy.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#56 Sickman

Sickman

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:55 PM

ANDY GREENE fvck AWFUL TURNOVER

We started off this game incredibly and everything's been slowly falling off all game. Oduya and Greene both had sh!tty plays on defense to allow goals, and Elias's offensive zone penalty hurt us too. Stupid.

It's been a pretty good game but the Devils haven't been pushing back offensively enough. Once Detroit got their legs it's been a problem. Many Devils look to be laboring while trying to match up with Detroit's speed, though we've been winning the majority of the board battles.

Looks like today's 4th line has gotten more minutes than most 4th lines because we've had a lead but everyone looks a little beat in this third playing 2 games in 2 nights.

Agree on all points.

I don't know I just don't like the shootout and never will. This game does not feel like a win imo. They couldn't hold on to a 2 goal lead twice and almost lost the game on that late scramble toward the end of the 3rd period. It should have been a well earned point for both teams and settled as a tie.
New Jersey Devils - Three Time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003

" 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1!! And the oldest trophy competed for in North America, LORD STANLEY'S CUP, has made it's way through the Lincoln Tunnel! To the Meadowlands! To the Garden State! THE NEW JERSEY DEVILS ARE THE 1995 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!" Mike Miller, June 24th, 1995

" I have for some time been thinking that it would be a good thing if there were a challenge cup which should be held from year to year by the champion hockey team in the dominion" Frederick Arthur, Lord Stanley of Preston

#57 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,488 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:58 PM

Hmmm...

It's so funny how you pretty much know what's going to happen in a shoot out as the guys line up to go. Now, the hmmm? Hmmmm!!! How can Marty get the guys that you can't read? That seems to be the thing. If a guy can blank himself out and just be an energized blank slate --- he's going to score on him. It blows how predictable that is. And I have ZERO idea how to NOT kind of lean on a read.. .grr.... OMG and HOW stupid was that Ledo or whatever - that one was a classic start .. as IF he was going to just pick his spot.. what was that even? Zetterberg was all nervous heehee Bertuzzi was an odd one because his start was pretty nice not a tough read but a kind of nice fresh I got this quality that was worrisome... and then he went and beat himself WHEW!

Patrik was scary -- he was up there and if I was Osgood I'd just think Awe sh!t...

ANyhow - and I'm not a fan of the shoot out at all... the fun is in the read honestly.

What a freaking OT. really great practice on keeping focus -- I love seeing that. So often the last few seasons they have those great drives and then don't play d and they're scored on -- poof it's done all that forward momentum and just effin' POOF GONE. and they were so on top of it this game. So nice to see.

I'm here for the party

#58 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:02 PM

The third game in four nights, a very talented Red Wings team -- there are some legit reasons why we didn't play as well in the second and third periods.

However, we dominated OT!

I agree with the consensus -- this game deserved to end in a tie.

#59 Stolen

Stolen

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:04 PM

im an NHL noob still, but what determines if we keep it a tie or go for a shootout?

The Case For the Shootout:

# Nothing matches the tension, anticipation and thrill of a shootout. Considering the price of an NHL ticket these days, fans deserve great entertainment, and the shootout is a heck of a great show.
# Does the NHL want more people in the seats and more fans watching at home? The shootout is fast, exciting, delivers immediate results and is easy for casual fans to follow.
# The NHL needs goals. Scoring has declined since the 1980s and most teams play a boring, defense-first style. Hockey is supposed to be about scoring. The shootout returns goal-scoring to its rightful place at the center of the game.
# What's wrong with change? Hockey is an evolving game. The forward pass was illegal until 1911. Regular season overtime began in 1983. Change is good, especially if it makes the spectators happy.
# The shootout could be accompanied by other changes, which would encourage teams to win the game in regulation time. For example, what if every game is worth three points? If it's decided in overtime or in a shootout, the winning team gets two points and the losing team gets one. But if a team wins the game in regulation time it gets all three points.
# The shootout would not replace overtime in the Stanley Cup playoffs. It would only be used to decide regular season games, and only after five minute of overtime.

The Case Against the Shootout:

# The shootout may be fun, but it isn't hockey. Hockey is a team game, not a series of breakaways. Players have to earn scoring chances by outworking and out-skating opponents.
# The shootout is a gimmick, the equivalent of deciding a baseball game with a home run contest or breaking a football tie by having quarterbacks throw the ball through a tire.
# Martin Brodeur works his butt off all night, stops 40 shots and salvages a 1-1 tie for his team. Two minutes later he's a loser because he couldn't stop a couple of guys on free breakaways. How fair is that?
# What's wrong with a tie? If teams can't decide a winner after 65 minutes of hockey, a tie is a just result.
# The shootout is a great novelty, nothing more. That novelty would soon wear thin and players and fans on the losing end of shootouts would feel cheated.
# Another change to the game means more complications in the NHL standings. SOL (shootout losses) would replace ties. More points would be handed out, making historical comparisons between teams even more difficult. Player stats would require yet another category for shootout goals and saves.

http://printscan.abo...-Picks.--2F.htm

I like the shootout....I don't like how the deciding factor of a game lies on the shoulders of a handful of teammates when this is a team sport.

#60 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,488 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:05 PM

Agree on all points.

I don't know I just don't like the shootout and never will. This game does not feel like a win imo. They couldn't hold on to a 2 goal lead twice and almost lost the game on that late scramble toward the end of the 3rd period. It should have been a well earned point for both teams and settled as a tie.

I agree too but it still feel like a win if only because you HAVE to be glad for the change in OT though. There was REAL progress in the sight and energy of this team. They can pull it together. They are beginning to really understand they have reserve power. So the game itself yeah - not a winning feeling - but as for the whole picture... I was honestly surprised. They are seizing the opportunities to LEARN! I really enjoy that more than anything in a team - more then an actual win ning season even. I'm a chick - a mom - whaddaya want, Screwed priorities :evil:

I'm here for the party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users