Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,567 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:38 AM

Possible Truce Between New Jersey Arenas Could Come at a Cost to Fans

http://www.nytimes.c...l center&st=cse

To end the fight, Jerold L. Zaro, Gov. Jon S. Corzine’s economics czar, has brokered a deal to move the Nets to the Prudential Center, cementing the privately run building as the dominant indoor sports venue in New Jersey. It would in turn cede many of its nonsports events — rock concerts and family shows like the Ice Capades — to the Izod Center, which would become an entertainment hub.

To avoid undercutting each other, the arenas would form a 50-50 venture, called Jersey Presents, that would schedule events and share revenue from them.

A new ticket surcharge of $1 for sports and $3 for other events would go into a fund that would be split between the arenas’ owners using a complicated formula. The surcharge, which will look like a tax but is being called a user fee, may require legislation in Trenton.
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#2 Devil Dog

Devil Dog

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:41 AM

Possible Truce Between New Jersey Arenas Could Come at a Cost to Fans

http://www.nytimes.c...l center&st=cse

To end the fight, Jerold L. Zaro, Gov. Jon S. Corzine’s economics czar, has brokered a deal to move the Nets to the Prudential Center, cementing the privately run building as the dominant indoor sports venue in New Jersey. It would in turn cede many of its nonsports events — rock concerts and family shows like the Ice Capades — to the Izod Center, which would become an entertainment hub.

To avoid undercutting each other, the arenas would form a 50-50 venture, called Jersey Presents, that would schedule events and share revenue from them.

A new ticket surcharge of $1 for sports and $3 for other events would go into a fund that would be split between the arenas’ owners using a complicated formula. The surcharge, which will look like a tax but is being called a user fee, may require legislation in Trenton.

The one item that does not seem to be addressed is what happens if/when the Nets do leave for Brooklyn? If a period of two years or more goes by with most of the non-sports acts going to Izod, does the Pru Center then have the ability to go after them again? One would assume that they would. Does the Izod Center stay open and we are back to square one in terms of the competition between the two arenas? Seems like the info coming out is limited to what happens over the next 24 to 35 months and nothing beyond that.
George Martin and Son should be shot for what they did to The Beatles.

The Eagle picks my eye, the worm he licks my bones.
Feel so suicidal, just like Dylan's Mr. Jones.

Is this heaven? No its Iowa.

#3 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:48 AM

I don't want an unsuccessful team to join us at the Rock.
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#4 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:10 AM

Its a nice compromise. If it helps the Devils and the state I am all for it. What sucks is that I would like to have seen the ROCK get some concerts or family shows as I will never see anything at the CAA, just because of the hassle to get there and the fact that it's in the middle of nowhere. MSG is far easier and has more pre/post event options.

I don't see Brooklyn ever happening in the next 5-10 years and the fact that the Nets are even investigating this pretty much confirms this in my mind.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#5 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:27 AM

...it finally happened. Posted Image Posted Image

The Rock: Home to the ALL New Jersey teams. :cheers:

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#6 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:43 AM

Its a nice compromise. If it helps the Devils and the state I am all for it. What sucks is that I would like to have seen the ROCK get some concerts or family shows as I will never see anything at the CAA, just because of the hassle to get there and the fact that it's in the middle of nowhere. MSG is far easier and has more pre/post event options.

I don't see Brooklyn ever happening in the next 5-10 years and the fact that the Nets are even investigating this pretty much confirms this in my mind.

I agree 100%.

Brooklyn's not happening. This seems to be a win-win, except it would be nice to see a show at the Rock. They should just bulldoze Izod.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#7 thiswontwork

thiswontwork

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:00 AM

The guys I talk with at the Pru seem to indicate they aren't going to loose the events that have already been going to the Pru. Most of this arrangement is to avoid having promoters use one arena against another to bargain down the price. If you have to book through one company, there is no playing one off the other to lower the cost of using the facility. Long term the hope is the Izod is closed but the politicos have to figure how to make the bergen, passaic and hudson county exec happy with some sort of compromise.

#8 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:07 AM

WHY are we compromising with the damn IZOD Center? let that thing rot a natural death. We'll get all the concerts the Pru can handle in due time. We dont need to broker a deal with the state of NJ so that we get a crappy NBA team that is all but definetly leaving the state in a couple of years, and so that the IZOD Center can still operate!

#9 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:10 AM

The guys I talk with at the Pru seem to indicate they aren't going to loose the events that have already been going to the Pru. Most of this arrangement is to avoid having promoters use one arena against another to bargain down the price. If you have to book through one company, there is no playing one off the other to lower the cost of using the facility. Long term the hope is the Izod is closed but the politicos have to figure how to make the bergen, passaic and hudson county exec happy with some sort of compromise.

Hope youre right. Its sad that common sense goes out the window to satisfy some corrupt execs from Bergen County, who were anti-Newark and Devils from the start. Like I said, it wouldve been better off letting IZOD rot. THEN you'd see leverage taken away.

I don't want an unsuccessful team to join us at the Rock.

I'm not gonna lie, but this also factors in somewhat to my opinion :whistling:

#10 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:10 AM

Even though the Nets suck, it is cool to have both Jersey teams under the same roof. Hopefully the financial aspects of the move workout for the state and both teams.

#11 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:30 AM

I agree 100%.

Brooklyn's not happening. This seems to be a win-win, except it would be nice to see a show at the Rock. They should just bulldoze Izod.

Agree 100%. Izod is a waste of real estate, send the entertainment to the PAC and have concerts during the summer at the Newark ball park

I believe that LIVENATION gives the CAA exclusivity on concerts with all their artists.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#12 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:49 AM

too lazy to care but when would the nets mpve over?
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten. •• "Starbuck, what do you hear? ... Nothing but the rain...

"Look for my coming, at first light on the fifth day, at dawn, look to the East"

"I have the libido of a 15-year-old boy. " - Megan Fox

- Proud njdevs keeper of the Boss' Sold Out banner at the CAA -

#13 robdeselich88

robdeselich88

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:00 AM

im up for it if they change they change there name. colors.
img]http://jerseydatabase.com/sig/temp.png?ran=987145633[/img]

#14 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:49 PM

I just don't really get why these events have to move to Izod...I mean when it was Devils/Nets at CAA they still had concerts at CAA. Ugh.

#15 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:05 PM

the bonds are on sale, or are close to being on sale. Atlantic Yards is getting built barring the bonds not being bought.

#16 eldon

eldon

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:00 PM

On another note, this same information was in a Star-Ledger article about a month ago.
Way to go NY Times, so timely.
Blow up Izod. Not one politician (except Gov. Whitman) cared when the Devils were there.
They counted the money coming in, yet said they lost money.
Why isn't Izod raking in the dough? They claimed they would once the Devils left.

#17 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:05 PM

Too bad I'm so selfish as a Devils fan that my biggest reason for saying "stay out, Nets" is that I don't want to see any of the decorations inside The Rock get altered. I love the fact that it's Devils-themed pretty much everywhere. I'd hate to see what gets changed over if the Nets move in. Basketball jerseys hanging up on some of the walls instead of hockey jerseys? Painting over the "small-headed" hockey players? (actually, that might not be so bad). And adding Dr. J to the NJ mural would be pretty cool. But overall, I just worry about the Nets' marketing taking over.

Again, like I said, totally selfish of me. But dammit, that's how I'm looking at this.

If this is the long-term solution to ensuring the Devils stay in NJ, then I'm all for it... concessions and all. But if it's a short two-year fix, the Devils better hold strong on interior choices.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LĂĽZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#18 The Rock 07

The Rock 07

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:23 PM

Too bad I'm so selfish as a Devils fan that my biggest reason for saying "stay out, Nets" is that I don't want to see any of the decorations inside The Rock get altered. I love the fact that it's Devils-themed pretty much everywhere. I'd hate to see what gets changed over if the Nets move in. Basketball jerseys hanging up on some of the walls instead of hockey jerseys? Painting over the "small-headed" hockey players? (actually, that might not be so bad). And adding Dr. J to the NJ mural would be pretty cool. But overall, I just worry about the Nets' marketing taking over.

Again, like I said, totally selfish of me. But dammit, that's how I'm looking at this.

If this is the long-term solution to ensuring the Devils stay in NJ, then I'm all for it... concessions and all. But if it's a short two-year fix, the Devils better hold strong on interior choices.

The new owner (Prokhorov, Vanderbeek or other) would clear house so that doesn't concern me.
Posted Image
I! I believe! I believe that we! I believe that we will win! I believe that we will win! I believe that we will win!

#19 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:32 PM

Just make it happen!!!

#20 DEV1LDR1VER

DEV1LDR1VER

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:37 PM

To any politician saying this is a bail out to Prudential Center, I say extend the Net's lease at Izod until they want to move and keep things as they are.

I don't want the Nets in my teams arena so Izod can make money with concerts (since they can't make money with Nets and concerts).

Please Islanders, step up to ne the Nets co-tenant in Brooklyn. Keep them out of Pru after their stint.
LIVE HARD!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users