N.J. considers ticket fee in Izod-Prudential Center deal

Colin226

Senate President Richard Codey introduced a bill Monday that could hit ticket-buyers with a surcharge of as much as $3 for events to end a price war between the Izod Center in the Meadowlands and the Prudential Center in Newark, a report in NorthJersey.com said.

The fee would come as part of a deal to bring the New Jersey Nets to the Prudential Center and bring more family shows to the Meadowlands. Chris Christie opposes it, and state Sens. Paul Sarlo of Wood-Ridge and Loretta Weinberg of Teaneck, both Democrats, also express skepticism, according to the report.The "joint venture service fee" would not be subject to sales tax, the report said.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/12/bill_proposes_ticket_fee_in_iz.html

Edited by Colin226

Wait, so in order to help the state citizens they want to charge us a new fee? Only in NJ would a mediation deal create another porkbarrel for the politicians to stick their hands in.

Yeah it's ridiculous and just adds to ticket inflation.. Lost a little respect for Codey here

So if we were to buy $35 seats through Ticketmaster it should be about $45 now? I always thought competition was to benefit the consumer. But when the state owns one competitor and fails they want to charge us for it. Doesn't Izod have the advantage by being part of the spectacular Xanadu project?

Honestly this is something that I would stage a boycott over... It's absolutely ridiculous.

The cheapest seats are 35$ each... then with fees and stuff, it's over 40 per ticket.. Parking is 15-25$ and the arena's food and beverages are ungodly expensive.

If they think attendance is bad now, wait until they raise these prices.

I don't count the 10's as the cheapest seats because pretty much anyone with a JOB can't wait around in line.

The citizens of New Jersey and fans of sports teams in this state continue to get absolutely ripped off. The Devils have some of the highest prices in the league to begin with... This last season they priced many people out of the building and then they are going to keep going. Bravo... bullsh!t.

Honestly this is something that I would stage a boycott over... It's absolutely ridiculous.

The cheapest seats are 35$ each... then with fees and stuff, it's over 40 per ticket.. Parking is 15-25$ and the arena's food and beverages are ungodly expensive.

I don't count the 10's as the cheapest seats because pretty much anyone with a JOB can't wait around in line.

The citizens of New Jersey and fans of sports teams in this state continue to get absolutely ripped off. The Devils have some of the highest prices in the league to begin with... This last season they priced many people out of the building and then they are going to keep going. Bravo... bullsh!t.

The state doesn't give a sh!t about Devils attendance, they just want it to look like Izod Center isn't deep in the red.

You can send this to Jeff but I think he'll weigh the money ingress from the nets vs people who feel like you and pick the nets $$

FINALLY --- no one was even talking this way when I read the other thread. Made ZERO sense to charge consumers so that IZOD can appear to pay a fee to the Rock, who would in turn send business Izod's way so the Meadowlands can book more shows. What a FREAKING LOAD OF CRAP!

It infuriated me so much I didn't even comment

Edited by Pepperkorn

Well said, pretty much exactly how I feel.