Photo

CONGRATS TO MARTY BRODEUR...NEW SHUTOUT KING #104!

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#61 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:48 AM

I just checked and its not even up on the NHL section of the ESPN website!

woah what? ESPN has an NHL section??
Devils.

#62 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:56 AM

....the best thing about the record is the organizational bump, in which was dropped.

*Sawchuk set 103 as a Ranger.
*Brodeur set 104 as a DEVIL!

.................. :gd:

Edited by Beezer34, 22 December 2009 - 12:57 AM.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#63 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:04 AM

MAR-TIN! (clap clap)
MAR-TIN! (clap clap)
MAR-TIN! (clap clap)
MAR-TIN! (clap clap)

Posted Image

#64 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:04 AM

So happy for Marty, so happy for the Devils and so grateful that I get to witness the greatest goalie to ever play the game on a nightly basis.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#65 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,954 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:41 AM

I remember watching his debut so long ago...my friend Larry (a Ranger fan) asked me "Who's this Brodeur guy?" At the time all I knew about him was that he was the Devils' first round pick in 1990 and had been picked 20th overall...outside of that, I had no idea what to expect out of him...hell, at that time I still thought Terreri was the immediate future. Man this has gone by so fast.

One of the best things about last night was the fact that he faced 35 shots, and some tough ones to boot. That at least keeps the "Marty only faces 15 shots or so a night" morons at bay. NHL on the Fly on both DirecTV and XM-Sirius did a terrific job with their tributes...especially XM-Sirius...lots of nice soundbytes. What made both tributes great was there were no mentions of systems and traps. A nice switch.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#66 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:23 AM

Where were you when Marty got his first NHL shutout?........ lol

What an awesome record to break. Congrats Marty. :)

I hope his retirement party (4-5 years down the road) will be done right. Something like an hour long ceremony for a saturday night game. Devils better do his night right! Not like the usual 10 minute BS ceremony's!

Whats the next record to break? Most playoff wins?

He also needs a Conne Smythe trophy! :evil:

Also, The Devils completely outplayed the penguins most of that game. Its amazing how well we are playing and still without Zubrus, Clarkson, and Martin. Its amazing we are in first place, yet we let madden and Gionta walk away and did not sign Gaborik. :giggle: or we did not sign Scott Niedermayer. :giggle:

Build from within! Thats why you draft and develop players! Winning championships are sweeter when you win with the players you developed not bought!........ I know we are FAR away from any championships this season but if this team can keep it up we look like pretty good contenders.
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#67 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:33 AM

Congrats Marty. An amazing show. Center Ice is well worth the expense every year.
I suggest adding "LD" on the back of your mask.
It's the whiskey talking.

#68 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,954 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:39 AM

Where were you when Marty got his first NHL shutout?........ lol

I was there, actually...the Devils gave away free commemorative pins for that game, for the expansion Mighty Ducks' first game in NJ. I think I still have that pin somewhere (along with the Panthers' version). They used to come out to "Hold On Loosely" back then...yikes.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#69 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:00 AM

Fantastic !!! We've all been following this record for many, many years now.

All Hail the King !!

I was there, actually...the Devils gave away free commemorative pins for that game, for the expansion Mighty Ducks' first game in NJ. I think I still have that pin somewhere (along with the Panthers' version). They used to come out to "Hold On Loosely" back then...yikes.

I was there too. But somehow I think I gave that pin away...

#70 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:01 AM

The King does not slow down. What a treat to watch this man year after year. I can't wait for the 30th to cheer him in his homecoming.

check that, there is an atlanta game on 28th, oh well I guess I will miss the homecoming. at least i will be there for pens game when they will be trying to not get destroyed by marty again.

Edited by ZeroGravityFat, 22 December 2009 - 09:03 AM.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#71 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:01 AM

Whats the next record to break? Most playoff wins?

Playoff Shutouts: currently tied with Roy at 23.

#72 Bryan

Bryan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:42 AM

NHL network already has the game replay in circulation for those who missed it.
Posted Image of Zach Parise's McFarlane Figure!

NEW JERSEY In keeping with the fact they are the Devils, New Jersey actually went with a villain by the name of Lex Lou-Lamoriello, an evil genius who finds ways to get around the salary cap until he is stopped in his tracks by Bett-man.

#73 britoon

britoon

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:46 AM

Congrats Marty! Now lets work on Cup number 4!

Posted Image

Edited by britoon, 22 December 2009 - 04:38 PM.

Posted Image

"Hockey is a beautiful, well-choreographed, symphony of violence
...a mixture of talent, grace and gladiatorial combat."

#74 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:59 AM

I'm also glad this is done and over. Now time to focus on getting to the playoffs and beyond.

#75 theamazingtiny

theamazingtiny

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:26 AM

I'm also glad this is done and over. Now time to focus on getting to the playoffs and beyond.

^This, and Congrats to the Best in the World.
They've become a farm system for the rest of the league, developing great talent that is eventually poached by those paying more, yet they routinely rank among the league's best. - AOL Sports

Posted Image

#76 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:52 AM

One of the best things about last night was the fact that he faced 35 shots, and some tough ones to boot. That at least keeps the "Marty only faces 15 shots or so a night" morons at bay. NHL on the Fly on both DirecTV and XM-Sirius did a terrific job with their tributes...especially XM-Sirius...lots of nice soundbytes. What made both tributes great was there were no mentions of systems and traps. A nice switch.

I've been posting this in a few other places, but here's some stats I pulled together:

From '94-'95 to '02-'03, Roy played 543 games, had 39 shutouts, and faced about 26 shots per game. Brodeur played 614 games, had 61 shutouts, and faced about 23 shots per game. Granted, Roy was older than Marty, and that may have factored into it... but Roy still had 9 shutouts in 01-02 when Brodeur only had 4, so both benefited from playing behind strong teams and defenses. If you compare relative age with shutous, from 30-37 Roy had 39 shutouts, Brodeur has 53 - with missing the lockout year, only playing 31 games last season, and playing in "the new NHL" in front of teams lacking Stevens, Niedermayer, etc.

Any way you look at it, it's a phenomenal accomplishment.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#77 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:57 AM

Congrats Marty! Now lets work on Cup number 4!

+1.
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#78 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,452 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:58 AM

I love the fact that we, as Devil fans/Hockey fans basically have watched history in the making.

Every game I go to I appreciate what we have in NJ.

IF Marty ever wins cup #4 without Stevens/Nieds/Dano he will officially be the greatest goalie of all time without any strings.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#79 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:03 AM

I love the fact that we, as Devil fans/Hockey fans basically have watched history in the making.

Every game I go to I appreciate what we have in NJ.

IF Marty ever wins cup #4 without Stevens/Nieds/Dano he will officially be the greatest goalie of all time without any strings.

My kids closed their eyes the last minute or so. Not me. I think I enjoyed this more than 552.

#80 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:07 AM

I think I enjoyed this more than 552.

...oh for sure. As great as 552 was, 104 is considerably more difficult.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users