46 replies to this topic

#41 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:15 PM

And I'm glad this won't be on March 13 like Mayweather originally said his next bout would be. The only way it's good for the two biggest names in the sport to compete is in the ring, not against each other for ratings. I'm glad each fight will not only get it's own date, but plenty of time for their own build-up as well.

I never believed that Floyd was going to fight with that short of a promotion lead time once the Pac fight fell apart. If they were dumb enough to fight on the same night it would have been horrible for the sport. Both fights should be entertaining. I expect Clottey to give Pac some difficulty at times, but I think his speed will be too much for Clottey to overcome. Mosley is up there in age and has not been very active. I think he may show flashes during the fight, but I think Floyd wins a fairly easy unanimous decision.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#42 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:44 PM

Yeah that's pretty much how I'd predict the fights to go too. Good summation.

In a perfect world, these two would be blood tested to the gills in a place where the stuff Mayweather shoots into his hands is illegal and we'd all get the fair fight we want. But, alas, this is no perfect world. All things considered, these are probably about as good of fights as we could have hoped for without these two going head-to-head.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#43 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:20 PM

Yeah that's pretty much how I'd predict the fights to go too. Good summation.

In a perfect world, these two would be blood tested to the gills in a place where the stuff Mayweather shoots into his hands is illegal and we'd all get the fair fight we want. But, alas, this is no perfect world. All things considered, these are probably about as good of fights as we could have hoped for without these two going head-to-head.

If Pac and Mayweather win, they NEED to come to an agreement to fight each other. I just do not know if it will ever happen. Floyd will not budge from the testing demands, and I cannot see Pac ever giving in to them. Paul Williams could give anyone a tough fight if he comes back down to welter, but I think both Floyd and Manny will stay away from him due to his size.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#44 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:32 AM

Here's the sh!tty (although unlikely) part ... what if one of them loses? Do you plug the winner against the other guy (i.e. Mayweather beats Mosley, Clottey beats Pacqiuao, do we get Mayweather vs. Clottey)? Or do we still get Mayweather vs. Pacqiuao with one of them coming off a loss? Either way the matchup has lost some luster. Or, if one of them loses, do they demand a rematch, as is so customary in this sport? That pushes this dream fight back even further, and even further still if it goes to a deciding third fight. Or what if one of them loses and a brand new challenger steps up to take on the one who won his bout? Again, pushed to the back burner indefinitely.

I don't think either of them will lose, but while it's great to see neither guy chose a slouch as their next opponent it also opens the door to the possibility of making this dream Mayweather vs. Pacquiao bout less realistic/desirable. Boxing needs both guys to win, then suck it up and get this fight done.
Posted Image

#45 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:13 PM

Here's the sh!tty (although unlikely) part ... what if one of them loses? Do you plug the winner against the other guy (i.e. Mayweather beats Mosley, Clottey beats Pacqiuao, do we get Mayweather vs. Clottey)? Or do we still get Mayweather vs. Pacqiuao with one of them coming off a loss? Either way the matchup has lost some luster. Or, if one of them loses, do they demand a rematch, as is so customary in this sport? That pushes this dream fight back even further, and even further still if it goes to a deciding third fight. Or what if one of them loses and a brand new challenger steps up to take on the one who won his bout? Again, pushed to the back burner indefinitely.

I don't think either of them will lose, but while it's great to see neither guy chose a slouch as their next opponent it also opens the door to the possibility of making this dream Mayweather vs. Pacquiao bout less realistic/desirable. Boxing needs both guys to win, then suck it up and get this fight done.

If one of them loses, I am 90% sure the fight will NEVER happen, ESPECIALLY if it is Pac that loses. Mayweather would not bother fighting Pacquiao if someone else beats him. If Pac loses and Mayweather wins, Mayweather would likely fight Clottey and beat him with ease. (he will then beat the man who beat "the man"- he will shout from the mountaintops that Pac was never on his level) Now if there is a rematch clause, it would surely be enforced in this scenario, leaving Pacquiao vs Clottey 2 and Floyd needing a new opponent. If Mayweather loses and Pac wins, Mayweather would likely invoke the rematch, creating Mayweather/Mosley 2 and Pac in search of a new opponent. If either loses their upcoming fight, we will likely never see the dream matchup. Hopefully they both take care of business and get the deal done. A September Pac/Floyd matchup would break PPV records.

#46 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:21 AM

Uh oh.

http://sportsillustr....html?eref=sihp

Sitting on desk in Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer's office in Los Angeles is Shane Mosley's signed contract to face Floyd Mayweather on May 1st in Las Vegas. Conspicuously missing, however, is Mayweather's.

Though both sides have agreed to the terms of the fight -- which will include random blood testing done by the USADA -- Mayweather has still not signed the deal. And Schaefer doesn't understand why.

"I have no idea what's going on," Schaefer told SI.com. "Every time I talk to [Mayweather's advisors] they tell me it's coming the next day. Every day it's the next day."

While Schaefer said he is willing to wait longer for Mayweather, he said Mosley was "getting close" to reaching the point where he will start looking for other opponents.

Hopefully this turns out to be a big nothing story.

Edit: ESPN's Dan Rafael has a much better story on this:

http://sports.espn.g...name=rafael_dan

"He still hasn't signed. I am so frustrated," Schaefer said. "I wanted both guys to go down to the Super Bowl in Miami to do some promotional stuff. I don't know what Floyd is waiting for. I have no clue. I have a signed contract from Shane on my desk. I have nothing from Floyd."

So what does Burstein believe is the issue?

"It's either one of two things that has happened," he said. "Either he's rethought the wisdom of risking his undefeated record against Shane or he chooses to act like a 7-year-old. Hopefully, it's the latter and he will mature very quickly. But either of these possibilities is completely unacceptable to us. He's going to end up in a fight with Mosley. The only question is whether it will be in the ring or in court."

Now, May 1 is still a ways off, but for a megafight the magnitude of Mosley-Mayweather, kicking it off with promotional appearances at the Super Bowl is significant. When Mayweather and Oscar De La Hoya met in May 2007, their media rounds at the Super Bowl generated enormous interest in the fight, which went on to set the all-time pay-per-view record.

Schaefer has been down this road with Mayweather before, perhaps one of the reasons for his concern. He negotiated a fall 2008 rematch between Mayweather and De La Hoya, which also had been agreed to and was on the verge of being announced. However, Mayweather never signed the paperwork and instead announced his retirement, which lasted 18 months.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod, 03 February 2010 - 09:28 AM.

Posted Image

#47 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:49 AM

I saw this yesterday. I do not know what Floyd's problem is. Hopefully he just signs the damn contract and everything is a go. I hate the drama of "getting the deal done" every time big name fighters are involved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users