70 replies to this topic

#21 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,314 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:55 AM

I doubt we do anything. I am not too sure that we have too many prospect or that they will ever make it to the NHL (if you ask the hockey news our prospects suck).

Lou will ride the UFA wires to see who we can get cheap for depth, that is about it. We have great, young talent and strong veteran leadership which has fantastic chemistry developing. I dont see Lou ruining this strong base. We will get a cheap UFA for depth that's about it.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#22 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:09 AM

When the whole team is healthy... I'd like to see

Parise-Zajac-Bergfors
Elias-McAmmond-Rolston
Clarkson-Zubrus-Langenbrunner
PAndolfo-Niedermayer-Zharkov

Martin-Greene
Oduya-Salvador
White-Fraser

Brodeur Danis

I actually don't think a trade is needed.

#23 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:16 AM

When the whole team is healthy... I'd like to see

Parise-Zajac-Bergfors
Elias-McAmmond-Rolston
Clarkson-Zubrus-Langenbrunner
PAndolfo-Niedermayer-Zharkov

Martin-Greene
Oduya-Salvador
White-Fraser

Brodeur Danis

I actually don't think a trade is needed.

I wouldn't mind seeing a rental player to fill this spot. Don't know exactly who, though ...
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#24 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:21 AM

I think Dean has done a good job. Nearly a point every 2 games, not superstar numbers, but far from a slouch. Did you see that ridiculous backhander vs the Wild?

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#25 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,500 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:22 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing a rental player to fill this spot. Don't know exactly who, though ...

there's not much out there. matt cullen, matt stajan, saku koivu, and eric belanger are the only UFA centers i'd have any interest in off non-playoff teams. but like you said, mcammond cannot have that spot in the playoffs.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#26 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:25 AM

macammond is playing for his only shot at the cup and is making a case for himself, i think he's a pretty good fit.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#27 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,112 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:28 AM

If Dean Mcammond is your second line centre you have problems come playoff time IMO.

I like Dean but he belongs on the third or fourth line.

When we are healthy I think Sharky is packed off back to Lowell to learn to shoot.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#28 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:30 AM

I am not saying DM needs to be on that line, but so far he has looked decent....I would not be heartbroken if we went into playoff battle with him there, assuming he keeps playing at the level he has been.....Obviously if there is an easy upgrade I would like to see it.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#29 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:30 AM

In the Devils-Wild GDT, par99 mentioned bringing a guy like Saku Koivu in. That could be a decent pickup, depending on the price...he's not having a great year, but he did put up 50 points in 65 GP last season. I'm not saying he's the slam-dunk, most ideal, we-got-this-guy-now-here-comes-a-Cup type, but he is an UFA after the season and probably wouldn't cost a whole lot. If Lou could pull off some of the nothing-for-something magic he's been known for, you could do worse. But I'd stand firm on what I'm willing to give up...if another team or two were to get involved and jack up the price, I'm out.

DevilinLA...if you're out there, what does Koivu have left?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 05 January 2010 - 11:32 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#30 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:31 AM

there's not much out there. matt cullen, matt stajan, saku koivu, and eric belanger are the only UFA centers i'd have any interest in off non-playoff teams. but like you said, mcammond cannot have that spot in the playoffs.

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves or anything, but what do you think of Zharkov, Pelley and a pick for Koivu? I'm not really familiar with Anaheim's needs, just sorta loosely based this hypothetical on what it took to get Almo.
Posted Image

#31 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:33 AM

If Dean Mcammond is your second line centre you have problems come playoff time IMO.

I like Dean but he belongs on the third or fourth line.

When we are healthy I think Sharky is packed off back to Lowell to learn to shoot.

I also think it's good to point out that you can't say that that would be the second line. The Devils don't seem to use a line structure. The way I see things, the team has one first line and three second lines haha.

#32 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,112 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:41 AM

I also think it's good to point out that you can't say that that would be the second line. The Devils don't seem to use a line structure. The way I see things, the team has one first line and three second lines haha.

There is deffinatley a fourth line in there somewhere.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#33 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:46 AM

More than offense, which this team will have (provided we stop breaking legs), we need a major defensive chip at the deadline. A top 4 guy. We have the barter power to get one, and I see that being more likely than getting another offensive player who may or may not fit in with the chemistry of what is currently a pretty productive offense (for the Devils).
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#34 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:59 AM

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves or anything, but what do you think of Zharkov, Pelley and a pick for Koivu? I'm not really familiar with Anaheim's needs, just sorta loosely based this hypothetical on what it took to get Almo.

Eww... dumping Zharkov for an old rental makes me gag.

#35 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:27 PM

Dean will be your 4th line center come playoff time. Jacques will continue to roll 4 lines, even in the playoffs. If the Devils are to go deep, their depth will be their strength.

And McAmmond will be an excellent 4th line center/wing. I can see Lou bringing in Scotty N. Lou Certainly has a thing for reunions. I could definitely see Lou brining in Saku Koivu too. It is no secret we have an issue at center for the Elias line.

Our Playoff team will look something like:

Parise-Zajac-Langs
Elias-XXX-Bergfors
Rolston-Zubrus-Mcammond
Pando-Nieds-Clarkson (checking)

XXX=S Koivu would look good.

on D we have
Greene-Salvador
Martin-Oduya
White-Mottau/YYY

YYY=Scotty N looks good
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#36 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:43 PM

Said it before and will say it again, Scotty Nieds would be the difference-maker for this team. Yea it would be great to get a center for that 2nd line, but Koivu? What does he really bring to the party?

Dean will be your 4th line center come playoff time. Jacques will continue to roll 4 lines, even in the playoffs. If the Devils are to go deep, their depth will be their strength.

And McAmmond will be an excellent 4th line center/wing. I can see Lou bringing in Scotty N. Lou Certainly has a thing for reunions. I could definitely see Lou brining in Saku Koivu too. It is no secret we have an issue at center for the Elias line.

Our Playoff team will look something like:

Parise-Zajac-Langs
Elias-XXX-Bergfors
Rolston-Zubrus-Mcammond
Pando-Nieds-Clarkson (checking)

XXX=S Koivu would look good.

on D we have
Greene-Salvador
Martin-Oduya
White-Mottau/YYY

YYY=Scotty N looks good

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder

#37 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:56 PM

Yea it would be great to get a center for that 2nd line, but Koivu? What does he really bring to the party?

Great leader. Distinguished career resume missing only a Stanley Cup implies hunger to win (think Neal Broten). Has 23 points in 37 games for .62 points per game (for comparison's sake, McAmmond has 9 in 21 for .43, Zubrus 7 in 20 for .35, R. Nieds 14 in 29 for .48).

His only real question marks are the Duck's asking price and his health, IMO.
Posted Image

#38 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,500 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:01 PM

scott niedermayer is not having a great year and he's no longer a great player. he's getting a little unlucky it appears, but he's a -13. i don't think he's better than paul martin right now.

as for zharkov/pelley for koivu, it's so hard to know what the trade deadline prices are anymore. last year, very few prospects got moved in deadline trades - it was either for draft picks or relatively established players. really lashoff, karsums, ryan wilson, and anssi salmela were the only 'prospects' moved, and the quotation marks are there for a reason.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#39 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:04 PM

We don't need another Dean McAmmond or Rob Niedermayer. We have both of them. And we have leadership in heaps on this team. Not an issue. Koivu's 0.60 points per game is exactly my point-- what does he bring to the party that we need (it ain't offense)?

Scotty is on a bad team. A very bad team. He wouldn't be asked to be Paul Martin here, he would be asked to take the lead of the second pairing and bring experience to a relatively green defense. I still like the move.

Edited by Risky, 05 January 2010 - 01:05 PM.

#40 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:07 PM

I have said before, if the asking price is reasonable, definitely bring back #27. But it is not worth overpaying and squandering some of the organization's future to do so....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users