22 replies to this topic

#1 William

William

Lowell Devil

• Suspended
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:55 AM

while i would love nieds to return to the devils i just feel the asking price maybe a bit to steep. instead i would like the devils to go after two players from the wild eric belanger who boasts a 58.9 face-off percentage an area the devils lack in currently and marek zidlicky a pp qb and a solid dman. the devils would still have to give up a prospect or two but of the lesser variety.
Posted Image

#2 funetiklee

funetiklee

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:59 PM

while i would love nieds to return to the devils i just feel the asking price maybe a bit to steep. instead i would like the devils to go after two players from the wild eric belanger who boasts a 58.9 face-off percentage an area the devils lack in currently and marek zidlicky a pp qb and a solid dman. the devils would still have to give up a prospect or two but of the lesser variety.

:koolaid:
Pandolfo-Belanger-Neidermayer

#3 William

William

Lowell Devil

• Suspended
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:10 PM

exactly what i was thinking.
Posted Image

#4 funetiklee

funetiklee

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:24 PM

Clearly not sexy enough to elicit a response from the board but i'd much rather see a couple moves like this than a blockbuster

#5 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,323 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:33 PM

its an interesting proposition to be sure.

i've been more of a proponent for stajan to fill the center role i think the devils need but belanger could do that too (not as much offense, i don't think despite the numbers this year).

regarding bringing in a defenseman, the last couple years the devils always had a number 6 that could be pushed aside to accommodate that. assuming martin's healthy return, the devils #6 becomes mike mottau and i'm not sure the devils push him to the bench unless it is a major upgrade. unless of course it requires dealing andy greene to get zidlicky which i don't think the devils can do, both because of andy's play and just as much because of his contract for next year which actually makes him MORE valuable next year than Paul Martin at a $5MM salary.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#6 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:24 PM

Can I make a simple request?
Is it possible or feasible to pin a "deadline deal ideas" thread up top so that we don't get 27 threads per week on this topic.
I just get the sense that we are going to have a bunch of folks (especially newer folk) who don't search for threads and post the "so is Neids coming back?" daily.

For the record, I think Zidlicky might be a nice option. We do need to improve our transition game.
So much both offensively and defensively depends on that 1st pass. I guess it all depends on how Martin feels when he returns.
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#7 Scoopscj

Scoopscj

Rookie Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:47 PM

Clearly not sexy enough to elicit a response from the board but i'd much rather see a couple moves like this than a blockbuster

Perhaps the OP should have put THIS first before proposing the trade.

Posted Image

That sexy enough?

Oh, I agree with you 100%. I'd rather see a piece like the one proposed in the OP thread than a blockbuster one which can hinder the chemistry.

Scoops

#8 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,047 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:07 PM

More often than not the less sexy trade ideas are the ones that go through.

#9 Par9

Par9

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:00 AM

Is it possible or feasible to pin a "deadline deal ideas" thread up top so that we don't get 27 threads per week on this topic.
I just get the sense that we are going to have a bunch of folks (especially newer folk) who don't search for threads and post the "so is Neids coming back?" daily.

If its alright with DM and msweet I could make one. I agree with the proposals that will be flooding in.

After seeing him play in Minny I don't think Zidlicky is a Lou type player.
Official Keeper of Adam Henrique, White on the PP, and Darcy Zajac

#10 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:29 AM

Perhaps the OP should have put THIS first before proposing the trade.

Posted Image

That sexy enough?

To be honest, I think she looks like her age might be 5 to 7 years shy of her jersey number in that shot.

Are we making a run for Saku Koivu? :D I can't believe I only just found this board, so many wasted years...lol

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#11 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:13 PM

If its alright with DM and msweet I could make one. I agree with the proposals that will be flooding in.

After seeing him play in Minny I don't think Zidlicky is a Lou type player.

A one game evaluation gives you the full depth of a player?
He's realistic for what we have to give.
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#12 theamazingtiny

theamazingtiny

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:06 PM

Give me a center with a better than average faceoff % and can score.
They've become a farm system for the rest of the league, developing great talent that is eventually poached by those paying more, yet they routinely rank among the league's best. - AOL Sports

Posted Image

#13 William

William

Lowell Devil

• Suspended
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:10 PM

paul ranger is also someone i'd like the devils to target.
Posted Image

#14 sokar

sokar

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:31 PM

what do you guys think of the devils trading for or signing Matthew Stajan?

#15 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:54 PM

what do you guys think of the devils trading for or signing Matthew Stajan?

I think for this season, the Devils are better off trading FOR Saku Koivu or Belanger (for faceoffs), then in the offseason figure it out from there.I'm not sure Stajan is a 2nd line center, and next year with Zajac and Zubrus still on 1st/3rd line ideally, that they'll going to need a 2nd line center again.

#16 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,906 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:58 PM

I think for this season, the Devils are better off trading FOR Saku Koivu or Belanger (for faceoffs), then in the offseason figure it out from there.I'm not sure Stajan is a 2nd line center, and next year with Zajac and Zubrus still on 1st/3rd line ideally, that they'll going to need a 2nd line center again.

the money's really not there for this next season, not with the kind of seasons that clarkson and bergfors are having.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#17 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:59 PM

the money's really not there for this next season, not with the kind of seasons that clarkson and bergfors are having.

So what are you saying? To get Saku now? I keep forgetting your stance on this.

#18 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,906 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:05 PM

So what are you saying? To get Saku now? I keep forgetting your stance on this.

oh i'm fine with getting a center this deadline, i just don't think the devils can do anything more than shop at the rob niedermayer aisle next off-season, or gamble with cormier or josefson if they're feeling saucy.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#19 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:52 PM

For what it's worth, Sheldon Souray said he's willing to waive his NTC. The Devils can't really afford him, even as a deadline pickup, since he still has two years left at $4.5M each. But his being on the market may end up affecting the asking price for someone like Scotty Nieds.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#20 gtmet

gtmet

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:20 PM

To be honest, I think she looks like her age might be 5 to 7 years shy of her jersey number in that shot.

Actually the youngest she could be is 20, that was her age the devils switched to the old red and black jerey's, gotta just love that horrible late 80's/early 90's hair and makeup.

Are we making a run for Saku Koivu? :D I can't believe I only just found this board, so many wasted years...lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users