134 replies to this topic

#21 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:28 PM

Wow, TG was way out of line with that and personally I think he just made himself sound like a whiny little girl.

Really, what more could the Devils have done? It should have been pretty obvious what the problem was to anyone there sitting in the dark!

+1. Its not like the Devils organization installed the lights, they payed a company to do that and that company fvcked up.
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#22 JWomp

JWomp

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:34 PM

And this would have solve the majority of the communication problems. Here at home I knew way more than the fans in attendance, which was sad.

It's not really sad, that's just usually how it is. For example, when a goal is under review, the people at home usually know way more about what's going on than those in the building.
Check out my Devils game used memorabilia collection: http://community.web...user/TJordan522

#23 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:50 PM

It's not really sad, that's just usually how it is. For example, when a goal is under review, the people at home usually know way more about what's going on than those in the building.

The difference is a goal review might be 3 minutes or so, while this fiasco was nearly 2 hours!

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#24 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:11 PM

+1. Its not like the Devils organization installed the lights, they payed a company to do that and that company fvcked up.

But Vanderbeek owns the building and is therefore responsible for it. Not to mention the Devils did a terrible job in keeping the fans informed, which is on them.

Gulutti was right in some of what he said but he really went too far in both his criticisms and how he went about it.

#25 langenmuffin

langenmuffin

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:37 PM

I was there last night and I was lucky enough to be in a suite so when the lights went out we just popped open a bottle of wine and hung out (now, that being said, the tickets were given to me by a friend so he would get any compensation rather than it coming to me). We had the MSG feed in the suite and we had a general idea of what was going on, but anyone who didn't have access to that was pretty much screwed. At one point MSG switched to the Isles/Stars game... around 10:00 a friend sent me a text to let me know the game was canceled, a good 5-10 minutes before they made the announcement to the fans. It was really low-class to send the ice guys out to remove the nets before making the announcement to everyone in the stands. It was like a big fat F-U to the fans who stuck it out for that long.
It even would have been enough for them to get on the PA after an hour or so and let the fans know that they were still working on the problem. Some sort of update - even an obvious one- would have been nice. It felt as though they forgot we were there. It also left us wondering if they stretched it out as long as possible without an announcement to keep people buying food and drinks.
I can tell you first hand that TG is not far off on his assessment of the organization. We had friends in the suite with us who had never been to a Devils game and when they asked why no one was updating us I told them it was because Lou would be the only one to OK that announcement and everyone else it terrified to do anything without his say-so.
TG has seen a lot more than most fans see and he's not only speaking for himself but for many people who have been involved with the non-hockey side of the organization. Mickey Mouse may be a little harsh, but they're far from top-notch and last night didn't help at all.

#26 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:44 PM

eh, he had a good point, and went totally off the reservation with a laundry list of things that seem more like personal complaints... like the radio thing. I think deep down he's a little bitter that they brought back the Rangers gig and didn't give it back to him. they all can't be Glen

#27 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:45 PM

Wow. While what TG is saying is correct (about keeping the fans more in the loop about the problems), he really went over-the-top here in my opinion. It's one thing to make a statement about some deficiencies in fan communication by the organization, it's another to rip them a new you know what and imply that people are correct in calling them a mickey mouse organization. This guy is in many ways the voice of the organization and players to the fans, and in my opinion it's irresponsible of him to take this kind of attitude and make it public.

#28 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:47 PM

Wow. While what TG is saying is correct (about keeping the fans more in the loop about the problems), he really went over-the-top here in my opinion. It's one thing to make a statement about some deficiencies in fan communication by the organization, it's another to rip them a new you know what and imply that people are correct in calling them a mickey mouse organization. This guy is in many ways the voice of the organization and players to the fans, and in my opinion it's irresponsible of him to take this kind of attitude and make it public.

He did go over the top, but it was at least humorous to me. I am curious if there will be any fallout between him and the team from this. Who is he an employee of?

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#29 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:48 PM

he's a Rangers fan, it's the worst kept secret in the local media. there are moments it really comes out (random stories about being on the phone with Sather, etc.).... this was like all of those moments rolled up into one.

anyone that covers the Devils should know there's two words you don't use. he used them. wouldn't be surprised if he just pissed off 50% of his audience beyond repair. there's people that still get in Gretzky's face NOWADAYS about that.

#30 Devs4LIFE

Devs4LIFE

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 06:37 PM

TG is a reporter and it's his job to keep some higher ups in line and represent the voice of the people, I'm glad he wrote that article and I have to agree with it 100%.
I'd like to see better music, videoes that don't suck and an OOT scoreboard for Christ's sake.
Posted Image

#31 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 06:48 PM

TG is a reporter and it's his job to keep some higher ups in line and represent the voice of the people, I'm glad he wrote that article and I have to agree with it 100%.
I'd like to see better music, videoes that don't suck and an OOT scoreboard for Christ's sake.

TG is representing TG. TG is pissed because he can't go golfing with Sather anymore. this is a guy who goes parading saying he's not a Devils fan and could care less, and then he writes something like that? does not compute.

#32 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 06:56 PM

looks like i'm going to find a new place to get my Devils news. F this guy.
Devils.

#33 Sickman

Sickman

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

TG is representing TG. TG is pissed because he can't go golfing with Sather anymore. this is a guy who goes parading saying he's not a Devils fan and could care less, and then he writes something like that? does not compute.

I really cant say I disagreed with a good portion of the things he had to say but the way he said them was just not right. He really came off like a pissed off opposition fan. Its one thing to make a valid point but it shouldn't be done in a belittling way either. He really tried to stick it up the organization's ass with this piece.
New Jersey Devils - Three Time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003

" 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1!! And the oldest trophy competed for in North America, LORD STANLEY'S CUP, has made it's way through the Lincoln Tunnel! To the Meadowlands! To the Garden State! THE NEW JERSEY DEVILS ARE THE 1995 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!" Mike Miller, June 24th, 1995

" I have for some time been thinking that it would be a good thing if there were a challenge cup which should be held from year to year by the champion hockey team in the dominion" Frederick Arthur, Lord Stanley of Preston

#34 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:04 PM

If anything he doesn't need to worry about ticking off the Devils, he doesn't work for them. But he does need to worry about ticking off the fans, the people who read his blog.

#35 ClarkyDano23

ClarkyDano23

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:16 PM

He really came off like a pissed off opposition fan.

If it looks like duck, and sounds like a duck...
-CD23

"Not one camera, not one reporter. But, guess what? If that kid was hurt, I woulda had everyone in that friggin building in front of my face. Isn't that true? But guess what, no one's hurt, so there's nothing to write about."
-Scott Stevens regarding both, his hit in Game 4 on Sami Kapanen during Round 1 against the Hurricanes in 2001, and the media looking for something to write about

My Youtube Page! - http://www.youtube.com/McKay4429061

My Devils Photos! - http://www.flickr.co...57602625649087/

http://www.pokerroad.com

#36 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,664 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:49 PM

You guys are pathetic in this attack on TG. Nowhere in his years of covering NJ, has he come across as a Rangers fan. You guys are deluding yourselves. He used to cover the Rangers, may have grown up a fan of the NYR, but he has been nothing short of a stellar journalist while covering the Devils. He took them to task here for very valid reasons. Is it a little harsh, maybe. But what he's saying is very mirrored what some of ourselves have said along the years. Hardly coming across like a Rangers fan. Those of you rushing to that one sound plain retarded.

If anything he doesn't need to worry about ticking off the Devils, he doesn't work for them. But he does need to worry about ticking off the fans, the people who read his blog.

Most of the comments are in support of TG, including myself.

#37 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:52 PM

You guys are pathetic in this attack on TG. Nowhere in his years of covering NJ, has he come across as a Rangers fan. You guys are deluding yourselves. He used to cover the Rangers, may have grown up a fan of the NYR, but he has been nothing short of a stellar journalist while covering the Devils. He took them to task here for very valid reasons. Is it a little harsh, maybe. But what he's saying is very mirrored what some of ourselves have said along the years. Hardly coming across like a Rangers fan. Those of you rushing to that one sound plain retarded.

Most of the comments are in support of TG, including myself.

Great summary.

#38 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:21 PM

if you can't see through his tone, I don't know what the tell you. it reads like somewhat well-written HFBoards.com main forum ranting.

if he didn't want to invite those comments, he should have written it in another tone. the feigned anger bit isn't working for me, it's just someone who got his cornflakes pissed in over the years, and he's found a window to get his pound of flesh.

what he says... is true. but the way he writes it, completely invalidates it, let's put it this way, if you were Jeff and you were reading your email, and this was written in the form of a complaint instead of a blog, you'd be sending it off to the "junk" bin.

a half a day later, sleeps it off, and still comes with that tone. fvck him. he was one of the people that were being paid to be there and it comes off more as him being "put off" on the Devils than giving a sh!t about anyone. if he wanted to look like Robin Hood, he should have written it in a tone that wasn't going to set people off.

he does a good job, but he has moments where he gives me the same skeeves that listening to Homer Joe on a Rangers telecast gives me.

#39 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:29 PM

Or the DJ from Joe Louis Arena.

THIS. That DJ is awesome.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#40 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:04 PM

http://blogs.northje...em_in_the_dark/

:cheers:

This is by far one of the most direct, open, honest, to-the-point articles I have read in a very long time. Kudos to Tommy Gulitti for putting this out.

Let's face it, customer relations are not the Devils forte. Lou Lamoriello could care less about what fans are in the stands. He cares about his team succeeding on the ice, and doing whatever he has to do to achieve that. Unfortunately, customer service suffers in the process.

Granted, the lights don't go out too often during a game. So I'm sure the team's "emergency management plan" was never developed for situations like this.

However, it doesn't take a genius to realize that the fans are the first people to address. Airlines, for example, are regulated by the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT in situations like these. YOU MUST make announcements, even if you have no information to give passengers on delayed flights. Failure to do so could result in significant fines, not to mention all the bad press.

TG makes a good point about putting the MSG feed on the big board. That would have been a good idea. Another idea would have been to give all the fans "something to hold them over" like free popcorn and small soft drinks. It would not have cost them much, and would have been a good gesture.

My personal feeling yesterday when I saw the guys slide the nets off the ice was..."This is still an organization that isn't concerned with its fans or its perception to the public. It's as if, in their minds, they play hockey in a practice arena anyways...just as long as they win, that's all that counts..."

Although I agree, WINNING is the ULTIMATE MARKETING TOOL, I just say c'mon Lou, try to pretend you care about the fans and the money they spend...trust me, it will go a long way ;-)

TG...great article. I'm buying you a nice Campari on ice for that one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users