#1 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:11 PM

http://sportsillustr...ment/index.html

Now that I have become the hitting coach for the St. Louis Cardinals, I have the chance to do something that I wish I was able to do five years ago.

I never knew when, but I always knew this day would come. It's time for me to talk about the past and to confirm what people have suspected. I used steroids during my playing career and I apologize. I remember trying steroids very briefly in the 1989/1990 off season and then after I was injured in 1993, I used steroids again. I used them on occasion throughout the nineties, including during the 1998 season.

All joking aside, good for Big Mac for finally coming clean.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#2 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:13 PM

I think Jon Heyman summed it up best on Twitter:

SI_JonHeyman

if you lie for 10 years, and everyone knows you're lying, what's the value of finally telling the truth?

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#3 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:16 PM

Not a surprise, it was kind of something he was going to have to do if he expected to be St. Louis' hitting coach. I'm glad he came clean, but imo he just cemented his non-hall of famer status. One thing, though, he said that he had "a torn left heel muscle, a stress fracture of the left heel, and a torn right heel muscle," which led to him using to try and heal, but not knowing anything else about those injuries, I would guess he got them because his feet couldn't handle the sheer body mass he got from taking steroids.

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#4 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:18 PM

I guess it's better than lying for 11 years. :noclue:

He's only coming clean because he's the Cardinals' hitting coach now. I think the team said at the time they announced the hiring that Mac would address the steroids issue before spring training started. Forced or not, at least he finally came clean.
Posted Image

#5 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,387 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:35 PM

Who cares?
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#6 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:30 PM

McGwire is being interviewed by Bob Costas right now on MLB Network, if anyone is interested.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#7 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:34 PM

Anyone else ever wonder if any guys in the NHL take steroids?

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#8 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:04 PM

McGwire saying the steroids did not effect his performance is just flat out stupid.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#9 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:07 PM

No surprise here.
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#10 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:17 PM

McGwire saying the steroids did not effect his performance is just flat out stupid.

I didn't get to see the interview ... did he actually say that? Yeah, Mark, it's just a coincidence that the only people ahead of Maris in the record book are you, Sammy and Bonds, three guys built like linebackers with heads the size of Mardi Gras floats. Just a coincidence. Dick.

Which reminds me of one of the best McGwire jokes I had ever heard. I'm pretty sure it was the Daily Show several years years ago. I forget the beginning, but Jon Stewart capped it by saying, "Mark McGwire still swings a mean bat. Too bad it's only three inches long and covered in pimples." :rimshot:
Posted Image

#11 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:19 PM

I didn't get to see the interview ... did he actually say that? Yeah, Mark, it's just a coincidence that the only people ahead of Maris in the record book are you, Sammy and Bonds, three guys built like linebackers with heads the size of Mardi Gras floats. Just a coincidence. Dick.

Which reminds me of one of the best McGwire jokes I had ever heard. I'm pretty sure it was the Daily Show several years years ago. I forget the beginning, but Jon Stewart capped it by saying, "Mark McGwire still swings a mean bat. Too bad it's only three inches long and covered in pimples." :rimshot:

He pretty much said the steroids helped him with the 162-game grind but believes he could have done what he did even without steroids. Bullsh!t.

Edited by nmigliore, 11 January 2010 - 09:21 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#12 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:26 PM

All the time. If not steroids, at least some form of doping that the Tour De France tests for all the time. That would be incredibly helpful in hockey. I remember hearing that in the the past lots of players would take Sudafed before games to keep the energy level up.

http://sportsillustr...875/2/index.htm

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman, 11 January 2010 - 10:27 PM.

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#13 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,373 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:19 AM

I remember this one when it happened...John Kordic. It was pretty tragic:

http://www.nytimes.c...ml?pagewanted=1

As for McGwire, he was on his way to becoming the next Dave Kingman before he started 'roiding up. He never would have sniffed Hall Of Fame numbers without the juice.

If only baseball would do the right thing and reinstate Maris' record...
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#14 ClarkyDano23

ClarkyDano23

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:15 PM

I remember hearing that in the the past lots of players would take Sudafed before games to keep the energy level up.

Still didn't help a certain someone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu6Vcj2FKbY
-CD23

"Not one camera, not one reporter. But, guess what? If that kid was hurt, I woulda had everyone in that friggin building in front of my face. Isn't that true? But guess what, no one's hurt, so there's nothing to write about."
-Scott Stevens regarding both, his hit in Game 4 on Sami Kapanen during Round 1 against the Hurricanes in 2001, and the media looking for something to write about

My Youtube Page! - http://www.youtube.com/McKay4429061

My Devils Photos! - http://www.flickr.co...57602625649087/

http://www.pokerroad.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users