• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 01:11 PM

pfft....Jigyy who.....

:) :) :)
We will out skate you.
We will out work you.
We will out will you.
And when your head is spinning, your lungs are gasping for air, and you're wondering what hit you...
We will start the 2nd period.
--BlackJack

knowing nothing is better than knowing it all

#22 E-Devil

E-Devil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 01:34 PM

I feel Giguere was the most underrated goaltender in the league before he single handedly carried the Mighty Ducks all the ways to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Here are Giguere's stats over the last 3 seasons:

GAA SV SO
00-01 2.57 .911 4
01-02 2.13 .920 4
02-03 2.30 .920 8

Pretty good numbers if you ask me. I think the reason Giguere didn't get much attention before this years playoff run was because he played in a league with Roy, Brodeur, Hasek, Cujo, Belfour so he was overlooked.

He has been consistently over the last three years but next year there will be enormous pressure on him to repeat this years performance. So there is no say if he will collapse under the weight. Lets not also forget he is still 26 and has probably a very long career ahead of him. Although you can complain about how painstaking it was to see the coverage was on him, Giguere still has always seemed like a nice guy when he was on camera. I personally hope he continues to do very well and continues to put up good seasons.
"Playing with him now, I have an even greater respect for him," center Joe Nieuwendyk said of Stevens. "He's a true captain. He's a leader."

#23 Dr. Death

Dr. Death

Senior Devil

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 04:16 PM

I think Giguere is the real deal. I like him a lot. I think he will be hungry next year if his tears are a indication.

#24 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 04:29 PM

He has talent obviously, I agree he did carry the Sucks to the Finals but he, nor the rest of the team, every really outplayed the Devils, they met their match. :evil: How sweet is that! :uni: Anyway, he is young but not that young to get something rolling consistently. The constant media attention went to this head, though, too.
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#25 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 04:34 PM

I think what Rock and Has said were true about Giguere. He's done very well in a short period (2-3 years) but the true testament of a goalie becoming one of the game's elite is how they stack up in a few years. Consistency is key in judging any goalie and putting them in the next class.

Giguere has a great postseason under his resume unlike Theodore, Khabibulin and a few others. So, that shows he can come up big when it counts. The real questions are can Giguere continue to carry his team raising his level even higher and continue to have the playoff success?
Those answers only lie ahead.

One sidenote on Giggy that most of you probably weren't aware of. I was told Giguere had health problems the past couple of seasons, which was why it took him so long to become a full-time #1 goalie. He would become dehydrated during games cramping and would lose energy. He had some kind of problem. In fact, he switched his drink during the game this year, which made a difference. He switched from just water to a mixed energy drink. That helped him gain more stamina/endurance refueling him as well.

I'm not sure if he just ran out of gas but he might have. He never had played that many games before and he just might have finally been gased. A factor that some of the experts didn't consider.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#26 peteyvegas

peteyvegas

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 04:38 PM

I think he "stole" more games for the Ducks than did the Ducks outplay their opponents and Pang was just looking for excuses because he picked the Ducks on national TV moments before the start of the game. How could he be wrong? He's on TV!!

#27 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 04:40 PM

I hate to sound crass, forgive me but are we going to have to hear about Gig's personal problems now after the fact? I did hear he needed a special drink to prevent dehydration but now we are hearing that his mother is sick? I certainly would hope for her well being but with all the Sucks ass kissing and the Devil dissing, I wouldn't be surprised. They'll blame it on mental fatigues.
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#28 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 04:41 PM

I hate to sound crass, forgive me but are we going to have to hear about Gig's personal problems now after the fact? I did hear he needed a special drink to prevent dehydration but now we are hearing that his mother is sick? I certainly would hope for her well being but with all the Sucks ass kissing and the Devil dissing, I wouldn't be surprised. They'll blame it on mental fatigues.
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#29 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 04:41 PM

Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#30 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 04:43 PM

Ah sh!t, here we go with the triple posts again! :evil:
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#31 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,472 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 04:47 PM

Here are Giguere's stats over the last 3 seasons:

Year___GAA__SV___SO___GP?
00-01   2.57   .911    4
01-02   2.13   .920    4
02-03   2.30   .920    8

My computer is so stinking slow I can't get this stat -- I'm not arguing and if anything if the games played varies enough it's a testament to the little chucker's consitancy it's just a very obvious omission everyone is making IMO.

oh dear lord derek...you're NOT saying it was the pedialyte are you? If he was too damm dumb to know how to hydr...nevermind :evil:

I'm here for the party

#32 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,772 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 05:20 PM

I learned about his mother's illness during the Dallas series...I read it in the paper...I then remember it being said during the Wild series, which I was able to watch...was on IR and not able to see rounds 1&2 but I knew about his mom and his dehydration issues way before SCF :huh:
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#33 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,686 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 08:03 PM

I agree with Zam; I don't really want to hear about Giguere's problems (Though I obviously don't wish any ill will for his mother); Marty himself had two seperate injuries he was playing through and he recorded four regulation shutouts (three shutouts) during the series and I didn't give a fig about HIS injuries myself when he lost 3 of 4, so why should I care about Michelin Man's problems?
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#34 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 08:30 PM

Oh you can also throw in his personal problems along with his injuries...

Thats part of the game... injuries and the external relationships... They need to play around them...

I dont make excuses for Marty,
I wont accept excuses about Giguire...

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#35 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 09:02 PM

The first three series, congratulations. He played as a goaltender could get. He defeated quality teams in DET an DAL , even MIN although 3 shutouts against a team who can't score for sh!t is a good job. HOWEVER, he played great up UNTIL the Stanley Cup Finals. Despite having a 2.75 GAA!!!!, even the games he won (especially game 3) wasn't anything overly spectacular, the Elias goal was very weak. Game four I tip my hat to him, and game six he had enough support for one softie. Marty Brodeur had extremely solid first two rounds, with the exception of the one Boston game (just like giggy in Dallas).

Although Giggy played a great third round, THE DEVILS PLAYED THE BEST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE. MARTY went into the best team building in the league and beat them.

Giggy was great for 3 rounds, mediocre in the final.

Brodeur was solid, and at times spectacular, for all four rounds, including beat Giguere handily in GAME SEVEN.

Giggy won on hype. Niedermayer, Brodeur, and Madden could have all been CST winners.

#36 devs23

devs23

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 11:15 PM

Gigguere (Jiggywear?? Who cares who he is?) - If he did not receive something, he would have been crushed...his return to mediocrity will commence on opening day next season

#37 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 12:01 AM

i hope gigure becomes a great goalie

he seems like a great guy and a real competitor
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#38 SBT

SBT

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 12:09 AM

Thanks to JS, Detroit and Dallas were eliminated before the Finals.
The SBT would rather NJ face Anaheim than either of those two teams.
So, yes.
JS deserves the Conn Smythe.

#39 Dr. Death

Dr. Death

Senior Devil

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 12:26 AM

SBT: Don't forget J.S. eliminated Minnesota in Game 1, Wild never had a chance.

#40 SBT

SBT

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 12:32 AM

SBT: Don't forget J.S. eliminated Minnesota in Game 1, Wild never had a chance.

Do you think Minnesota would have given NJ a harder time than Anaheim?

P.S. What's up with the Constantine thing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users