15 replies to this topic

#1 ev0lemi

ev0lemi

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:47 PM

In keeping with my annual hockey travel, this year I'm making the Ottawa/Buffalo roadtrip.

Are there any good postgame bars in both cities? We're staying downtown in Ottawa, not sure where in Buffalo but will have driving access.

I know Anchor bar in Buffalo is the place to go for wings, anything i need to eat in Ottawa?
---
Keeper of the Red and Black, Parise's first NHL goal and the smoking section outside of gate D.
"If you are going to go the TMI route you may as well take every exit!" - sammyk!

#2 bostondevil11

bostondevil11

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:53 PM

Ottawa the arena is not in Ottawa. There are suttle buses that will take you there. It is about a half hour ride. So bars near the arena I don't know if there are any. I just went to a bar near the shuttle stop.

#3 Shtikl

Shtikl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 04:10 PM

Tim Horton's. :D

Some listings here but I can't vouch for 'em.
We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses. -- Abraham Lincoln

#4 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,132 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:54 PM

In keeping with my annual hockey travel, this year I'm making the Ottawa/Buffalo roadtrip.

Are there any good postgame bars in both cities? We're staying downtown in Ottawa, not sure where in Buffalo but will have driving access.

I know Anchor bar in Buffalo is the place to go for wings, anything i need to eat in Ottawa?

I don't have any suggestions, but I will advise you to remember to lock your car in Ottawa... got robbed there about 11 years ago. Lost a camera and a pack of smokes. For some reason, they decided to leave the program from the Expos game I had attended alone. :P

Edited by MadDog2020, 22 January 2010 - 06:55 PM.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#5 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,051 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:09 PM

I don't have any suggestions, but I will advise you to remember to lock your car in Ottawa... got robbed there about 11 years ago. Lost a camera and a pack of smokes. For some reason, they decided to leave the program from the Expos game I had attended alone. :P

Got to lock your car anywhere...

I'll try and give you as much help as possible tomorrow, but are you going for the Devils game this Tuesday?

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#6 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,630 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:22 PM

Buffalo is AWESOME!! (was there 6 weeks ago)
all the bars and hotels are right in downtown by the arena...

Ottawa is a lil different though... also how long you planning to stay in both towns?? Big questions!
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#7 ev0lemi

ev0lemi

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:00 AM

I'll try and give you as much help as possible tomorrow, but are you going for the Devils game this Tuesday?

YEP! doing the back to back Ottawa then Buffalo trip!

Ottawa is a lil different though... also how long you planning to stay in both towns?? Big questions!

We'll be in Ottawa Tuesday all day and postgame. We'll get to Buffalo for the game and then have the night there. That's it! Should i do an honorary view from 209? (i think its 205 in Ottawa actually)

Edited by ev0lemi, 23 January 2010 - 12:01 AM.

---
Keeper of the Red and Black, Parise's first NHL goal and the smoking section outside of gate D.
"If you are going to go the TMI route you may as well take every exit!" - sammyk!

#8 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,630 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:50 AM

We'll be in Ottawa Tuesday all day and postgame. We'll get to Buffalo for the game and then have the night there. That's it! Should i do an honorary view from 209? (i think its 205 in Ottawa actually)

It's a shame you're not spending more time there... esp. in Ottawa... it's a great city (been there three times), and there's a ton to do there (not to mention the coolness that Don Cherry has a food chain in town!)

Buffalo was cool too but you can get everything in a downtown hotel near the arena!!

Short version... Buffalo = better arena, Ottawa = better city!

Heh, if you wanna do a thoughts... why not??? Someone else needs to write something on 2man ya?? :lol:

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

#9 rocktherock

rocktherock

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:32 AM

If it's wings you want in Buffalo you must go to Duff's! The Anchor Bar may be well known as the originator, but Duff's is clearly better; trust me I grew up there, and anyone from the area will tell you the same. You should see Niagara Falls as well if you have never been there, and you have the time; it is a short drive from Buffalo.

#10 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:51 AM

It's a shame you're not spending more time there... esp. in Ottawa... it's a great city (been there three times), and there's a ton to do there (not to mention the coolness that Don Cherry has a food chain in town!)

They just opened up a Don Cherry's a three minute walk from my house!!

What do you need to eat in Ottawa? A beavertail?

I live in Kanata, very close to Scotiabank place. There are not a lot of bars in Kanata.... most of the drinking spots are downtown. And even then, they say that Ottawa rolls up the sidewalks at 9. But Kanata is more of a middle-class suburb so it's mostly family restaurants and such. Not much of a party life, so if that is what you are looking for you are better off downtown or across the river in Gatineau.

If you have any questions, let me know... I should be able to help you out.

Edited by Don, 23 January 2010 - 08:51 AM.

"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#11 ev0lemi

ev0lemi

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:40 AM

They just opened up a Don Cherry's a three minute walk from my house!!

What do you need to eat in Ottawa? A beavertail?

ok, what's a Beavertail?

Grape's place is just called Don Cherry's? I think i need to at least stop in there.

thanks for the info!
---

#12 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,630 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:47 AM

Grape's place is just called Don Cherry's? I think i need to at least stop in there.

thanks for the info!

Yeah it's a chain in the area... pretty cool place.... all I remember was a Saturday Night going in there to see HNIC and ALL the TVs had UFC on :blink:

I was like what the hell man!?!?!?!?!!?

#13 nstygoaltender30

nstygoaltender30

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:54 AM

Anchor Bar is the original place, they are good wings, but if you go to Duff's (another wing place) they are even better. There is a bar pretty close to the arena called Pearl Street Brewery. It is very good and I definetly suggest going there. The beers they brew are really good.
"Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through"
Posted Image

#14 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:50 AM

ok, what's a Beavertail?

thanks for the info!

(A) Beavertails are a specialty here in Ottawa. There are outlets elsewhere in Canada, but the company started here. Obama's first meeting outside the United States was here in Ottawa and we convinced him to go down to the Byward Market and buy a Beavertail. Here is the chocolate banana beavertail:
Posted Image

My favorite is the apple and cinnamon.

(B) There are two "Don Cherry's Sports Grill"s in the Ottawa area. One is downtown in the Byward Market on Rideau street. The other is the one by my place towards Scotiabank Place. Both franchises have the same owner. The one that Crasher and I met a number of years back. Wow. That must have been a while ago because I was watching the Toronto Argonauts play a playoff game. And I think it must be a decade now since ANY Toronto sports franchise has made the playoffs.....

Edited by Don, 26 January 2010 - 04:52 AM.

"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#15 threestars

threestars

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:53 PM

Beavertail + hot chocolate while skating on the Rideau......good times.

Posted Image

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Lowell Devils' Goalies: Frank Doyle and (co-keeper) Jordan Parise; Keeper of former Ottawa Senator Dean McAmmond; co-Keeper of David Clarkson; Keeper of the first goal at The Rock (thank you Meszaros/Neil) and the first EN goal at The Rock (thanks Alfie); and co-Keeper of NJDevs.com Keepers.

Proud recipient of the 2008 NJDevs.com Joe Nieuwendyk Award for Best Non-Devils Fan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

GO SENS GO!!!Posted ImageGO SENSGO!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I curse you Noah Webster for your defamation of the English language. I spit on you.

#16 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:44 PM

i live in amherst [suburb of buffalo]

for wings: duffs or elmos [on millersport highway in amherst] before anchor bar.

for drinks: pearl street as someone else said, is a good bar/pub. they have beer tubes so if you have a group of 3 or more, its worth the investment.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users