HAS ANYTHING HAPPENED YET?

#703 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:29 PM

and if he has a 3 goal, 9 shot night where he plays dominant, he might increase his value. it's a risk worth taking.

I'm a bit surprised to read this. I don't see how one game will do anything to his value whatsoever.
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#704 Par9

Par9

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:29 PM

should we get chat going on this :lol:
Official Keeper of Adam Henrique, White on the PP, and Darcy Zajac

#705 skullsmasher

skullsmasher

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:30 PM

should we get chat going on this :lol:

im down lol

#706 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:31 PM

when teams are in competition with one another to land a big chip like this, they can get very stupid. i think doing anything to enhance the possibility that they all up the ante on one another is worth doing.

mostly i hate the 'he might get injured!' line of thinking, which is so pervasive - michael kay talks about it all the time, and he sounds like the complete pussywillow that he is.

Yes, the chance he gets injured in his next game is minuscule and when you think about it, not playing him based on it seems like a very weak move. However, just think about what would happen if despite those very low chances, he DID get hurt tomorrow and is out for 3 months. Waddell would be absolutely CRUCIFIED by the press and the fans. Everyone would be demanding his head and blasting him for trying to increase Kovalchuk's already super-high value at the possible expense of the future of his franchise. You think Atlanta has low attendance now? What do you think would happen if Waddell managed to lose Kovalchuk and didn't get anything for him in return.

#707 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,001 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:34 PM

Yes, the chance he gets injured in his next game is minuscule and when you think about it, not playing him based on it seems like a very weak move. However, just think about what would happen if despite those very low chances, he DID get hurt tomorrow and is out for 3 months. Waddell would be absolutely CRUCIFIED by the press and the fans. Everyone would be demanding his head and blasting him for trying to increase Kovalchuk's already super-high value at the possible expense of the future of his franchise. You think Atlanta has low attendance now? What do you think would happen if Waddell managed to lose Kovalchuk and didn't get anything for him in return.

Well...the Thrashers are in a playoff race too. And making the playoffs would probably go a long way in saving Waddell's job, although it's hard to say if he'll ever get fired.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#708 CMONPETEYD

CMONPETEYD

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:35 PM

This is why it should happen before the olympics
My name changes every summer
Posted Image

#709 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:35 PM

when teams are in competition with one another to land a big chip like this, they can get very stupid. i think doing anything to enhance the possibility that they all up the ante on one another is worth doing.

mostly i hate the 'he might get injured!' line of thinking, which is so pervasive - michael kay talks about it all the time, and he sounds like the complete pussywillow that he is.

By the same token, what if he has a horrible game? Wouldn't be too hard to imagine, what with his mind possibly being in L.A., Chicago, Boston, Calgary, Philly, New Jersey, etc. Does that hurt his value as much as a hat trick helps it?
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#710 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:39 PM

multiple people at hf have said espnews claimed kovalchuk has been traded and its a done deal. they never mentioned any team.

man espn covering hockey :puke:

#711 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:40 PM

By the same token, what if he has a horrible game? Wouldn't be too hard to imagine, what with his mind possibly being in L.A., Chicago, Boston, Calgary, Philly, New Jersey, etc. Does that hurt his value as much as a hat trick helps it?

No, one game does not matter either way. He could have a 3 goal, 3 assist game and be a + 7 or have no points and be a -8 and it would not matter. Everyone knows what he brings, it is well documented. He is one of the best forwards in the game and absolutely explosive. If he plays for ATL tomorrow, Waddell is being foolish or somehow believes Ilya will change his mind and re-sign.

Edited by ThreeCups, 04 February 2010 - 03:40 PM.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#712 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:41 PM

multiple people at hf have said espnews claimed kovalchuk has been traded and its a done deal. they never mentioned any team.

it was a badly worded tease

#713 sassquash

sassquash

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

It was a hoax http://twitter.com/NJerseyDevil

functionless art is simply tolerated vandalism

#714 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,554 posts

no, i don't think so - the guy's been told he's being traded.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#715 Sickman

Sickman

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Was just going to post this. His ass better be on a flight to NJ as we speak.
New Jersey Devils - Three Time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003

" 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1!! And the oldest trophy competed for in North America, LORD STANLEY'S CUP, has made it's way through the Lincoln Tunnel! To the Meadowlands! To the Garden State! THE NEW JERSEY DEVILS ARE THE 1995 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!" Mike Miller, June 24th, 1995

" I have for some time been thinking that it would be a good thing if there were a challenge cup which should be held from year to year by the champion hockey team in the dominion" Frederick Arthur, Lord Stanley of Preston

#716 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:42 PM

Was just going to post this. His ass better be on a flight to NJ as we speak.

No deal done yet....ESPN sucks

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#717 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:43 PM

Reminds me of NHL Star Called Up To Big Leagues To Play For NFL Team

This was awesome :) And here I thought we were being Rick 'n Rolled lol

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#718 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:44 PM

Like ESPN needed hockey fans to hate them even more.

#719 skullsmasher

skullsmasher

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:51 PM

Like ESPN needed hockey fans to hate them even more.

truth

#720 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:51 PM

and what an awful piece. they both go with Boston, who is going off a cliff and can't do anything as is. at least EJ qualifies it as them playing coy and swooping in.

now we're talking about Marty Biron's and Marty Turco's trade value. let me make this short for you, EJ, it's zero. zero.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users