Photo

Colin White ignores eye risk and fights...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:33 AM

http://www.nj.com/de...eye_risk_a.html

Colin White ignores eye risk and fights for NJ Devils teammate Zach Parise

Colin White hadn’t dropped his gloves to fight since he suffered a serious injury to his right eye during the preseason in 2007-08.

But he did Tuesday night at the Air Canada Centre after Maple Leafs defenseman Dion Phaneuf made his debut in Toronto by delivering a first period hit on Zach Parise.

“I just felt he was going in pretty high there,” White said. “Zach is our best player, so you have to expect that if you take a run at him.”

Asked if Phaneuf landed any punches, White said: "No."

And did he land any?

"No. A lot of air,” White said.
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#2 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:27 AM

Is it at all possible that Phaneuf realized who he was fighting and pulled his punches?
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#3 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,407 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:02 AM

It didn't look like he held back at all. This was his baptism for Leaf fans. White did a great job of holding him away.

But good for Colin to stand up for his teammates.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#4 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:09 AM

I think Whitey might've said something during the fight.

#5 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:40 AM

White did what he had to do. No one takes runs at Zach.
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#6 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:52 AM

Horrible fight attempt, but great gesture. Phaneuf looked like he was going for a win there. He may not even be aware of Colin's eye history. Now the Leblond fight....that should have been an adrenaline shot to the team.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#7 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:13 AM

I was very proud of White. Whitey looked scared sh!tless the whole time haha.

But what he did was stand up for our best player land he also took Phaneuf off of the ice for five minutes to give us a better chance. So thanks Whitey.

#8 Devils1985

Devils1985

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:35 AM

I don't know if he was scared, but I was scared for him. He showed a lot right there.
Posted Image

Trenton: Where we flip off the Kiss Cam.

#9 jsonnabend

jsonnabend

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:50 PM

I don't know if he was scared, but I was scared for him. He showed a lot right there.

Yeah, he showed a lot of stupidity. It never ceases to amaze me how fans lose sight of reality -- hockey is a game played for the entertainment of the fans. We should applaud a player for risking total blindness to uphold some sort of "code" in this context? Please.

#10 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,613 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:04 PM

Yeah, he showed a lot of stupidity. It never ceases to amaze me how fans lose sight of reality -- hockey is a game played for the entertainment of the fans. We should applaud a player for risking total blindness to uphold some sort of "code" in this context? Please.

nice pun on 'sight' - however i suspect contract bridge or shuffleboard is more your speed.

now that we've dispensed with the trolling, athletes risk debilitating injury every time they step on to the playing surface, and many of them are left badly injured after their playing career is over, with permanent limps, brain damage, and so forth. colin white did what he thought was the right thing, and he'd probably do it again if given the choice. it's not for me to decide how colin white wants to act. was it stupid? of course it was - but is not some part of bravery a willingness to gloss over or forget about harm coming to one's self?

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#11 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:12 PM

But did Colin White consent to the risk of having his eye punched in? What is the legality of this "code"? These are matters probably best left to a jury to decide.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#12 jsonnabend

jsonnabend

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:50 PM

nice pun on 'sight' - however i suspect contract bridge or shuffleboard is more your speed.

now that we've dispensed with the trolling, athletes risk debilitating injury every time they step on to the playing surface, and many of them are left badly injured after their playing career is over, with permanent limps, brain damage, and so forth. colin white did what he thought was the right thing, and he'd probably do it again if given the choice. it's not for me to decide how colin white wants to act. was it stupid? of course it was - but is not some part of bravery a willingness to gloss over or forget about harm coming to one's self?

Well, you'd suspect wrong. I'm not only a fan, but have played for twenty something years at this point.

There's bravery and then there's stupidity, as well as the old edict of "discretion is the better part of valor" and all that.

And yes, DanykoIsGod, Collin consented to having his lights punched out, even it it meant going blind. You know, there's a fine line between stupid and clever . . .

Edited by jsonnabend, 03 February 2010 - 02:51 PM.

#13 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:25 PM

It needed to be done. It was a questionably high hit on your best player, someone has to stick up for him right then and there. I wouldn't be surprised if Phaneuf understood that and was content with going through the motions.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users