8 replies to this topic

#1 olp

olp

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:30 PM

I'm probably one of the few that's not quite sure what to think about this trade.

I know the Devils desperately needed help in the scoring area - no doubt about that. This trade will certainly help. But, we all know this is a rental, which leads to my issue with it. I hate rental trades. I hate this one simply because I really do not see this team having a shot at the cup. I just don't.

Then again, I'm probably one of the few who doesn't like the fact that Lemaire is coaching. Didn't like it when Lou chose him, don't like it now. He didn't disappoint me either - he's still the same in my opinion. Overcoaching, stiffling the defense, overplaying Brodeur... Hate it. I remember why he got canned - I guess Lou didn't or he's the only game in town.

While I'm not happy Oduya is gone, I feel he never would have panned out with Lemaire. He just didn't seem to get him. I don't believe for a minute he's the type of guy who stops playing after cashing in. Personally I was interested to see how he played in the Olympics to judge whether or not he was having a crap year or just can't play for Lemaire. He should be able to - but Niedermayer didn't flourish under him either (and no, I'm in no way comparing the two). His confidence was gone - guess we'll see how he does in Atlanta. Who knows.

The point production from the defense is crap in general. Andy Greene was racking them up - on the PP anyway. I would guess about 95% of his points came from the PP. Even strength is a problem. Should be interesting seeing him in the post season, especially considering he's never played a full NHL season. I don't know why, I just can't get into him. Just can't. Too soft along the boards. Too soft in front of the net. Too indecisive. Drives me nuts.

As much as I always loved Pandolfo, and it pains me to say it, he's done.

I think Niedermayer is the laziest player I've ever seen. I just want to bitch slap him.

Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic (Shocking, I know) - I just don't see it this year. Even with the trade. Brodeur scares me, he really does. Those god awful untimely goals are still there. White is still running players in the neutral zone leaving a rattled Mottau left alone. And can someone explain to me why those two are still paired together? Slow and Slower? I don't get that one either and I don't get why Mike Mottau is getting 25 minutes a game. I don't want to knock the guy - he's playing a #1 position with #6 talent. I don't fault him.

Anyway, the defense is now worse, god help us. I've got that same feeling about the defense that I had when the Giants were 5-0. The feeling that somehow they're winning, a bit of luck and timing perhaps, but it just seemed as though they shouldn't. Sure the defense is ranked high, but as retarded as this may sound, I just don't see it. Salmela scares the bejesus out of me. I guess Lemaire will play him 7 minutes a game with Fraser so we can overplay Greene even more. I know Martin comes back and the defense should improve without a doubt, but let's not forget the Martin was playing like crap too before he was hurt.

Maybe the trade will work, I don't know. I just hate rentals, they always seem to bite you in the ass.

Sorry - these anti-Devil fan thoughts have been killing me all season. Don't mean to be a downer, I couldn't contain myself any longer.

#2 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:34 PM

i'd rather not have both niedermayer and pandolfo in the lineup. one floater is more than enough. we obviously still need to be upgraded at center and our defense does have a bit of a hole in it. i wonder if lou is done here.

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#3 elias2600

elias2600

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:42 PM

I'm probably one of the few that's not quite sure what to think about this trade.

I know the Devils desperately needed help in the scoring area - no doubt about that. This trade will certainly help. But, we all know this is a rental, which leads to my issue with it. I hate rental trades. I hate this one simply because I really do not see this team having a shot at the cup. I just don't.

Then again, I'm probably one of the few who doesn't like the fact that Lemaire is coaching. Didn't like it when Lou chose him, don't like it now. He didn't disappoint me either - he's still the same in my opinion. Overcoaching, stiffling the defense, overplaying Brodeur... Hate it. I remember why he got canned - I guess Lou didn't or he's the only game in town.

While I'm not happy Oduya is gone, I feel he never would have panned out with Lemaire. He just didn't seem to get him. I don't believe for a minute he's the type of guy who stops playing after cashing in. Personally I was interested to see how he played in the Olympics to judge whether or not he was having a crap year or just can't play for Lemaire. He should be able to - but Niedermayer didn't flourish under him either (and no, I'm in no way comparing the two). His confidence was gone - guess we'll see how he does in Atlanta. Who knows.

The point production from the defense is crap in general. Andy Greene was racking them up - on the PP anyway. I would guess about 95% of his points came from the PP. Even strength is a problem. Should be interesting seeing him in the post season, especially considering he's never played a full NHL season. I don't know why, I just can't get into him. Just can't. Too soft along the boards. Too soft in front of the net. Too indecisive. Drives me nuts.

Yeah, every single thing you mentioned was a negative thought. I scanned your post a second time to see if you mentioned anything encouraging or even made a suggestion for improvements, but there were none. You might need to do some devils fan soul searching, because as a fan this post sounds suicidal.

Don't forget that we lead our division (one of the toughest in the league). Cheer up and try to be hopeful!

I think Niedermayer is the laziest player I've ever seen. I just want to bitch slap him.

Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic (Shocking, I know) - I just don't see it this year. Even with the trade. Brodeur scares me, he really does. Those god awful untimely goals are still there. White is still running players in the neutral zone leaving a rattled Mottau left alone. And can someone explain to me why those two are still paired together? Slow and Slower? I don't get that one either and I don't get why Mike Mottau is getting 25 minutes a game. I don't want to knock the guy - he's playing a #1 position with #6 talent. I don't fault him.

Anyway, the defense is now worse, god help us. I've got that same feeling about the defense that I had when the Giants were 5-0. The feeling that somehow they're winning, a bit of luck and timing perhaps, but it just seemed as though they shouldn't. Sure the defense is ranked high, but as retarded as this may sound, I just don't see it. Salmela scares the bejesus out of me. I guess Lemaire will play him 7 minutes a game with Fraser so we can overplay Greene even more. I know Martin comes back and the defense should improve without a doubt, but let's not forget the Martin was playing like crap too before he was hurt.

Maybe the trade will work, I don't know. I just hate rentals, they always seem to bite you in the ass.

Sorry - these anti-Devil fan thoughts have been killing me all season. Don't mean to be a downer, I couldn't contain myself any longer.

Edited by elias2600, 06 February 2010 - 09:50 AM.

#4 Darwindog

Darwindog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:52 PM

Nice to see olp's return!

I was actually think Jacque had grown some -- but only JUUUUST recently I started thinking you know - he's such a STUBBORN dude. It's like ...

ok here is my really stupid analogy --- I'm a freak about buttering my toast - the butter has to be evenly spread edge to edge. So when I've got butter in the fridge I fvck up the toast insisting that I spread it evenly all over - you know hoe the toast gets all ripped and stuff -- but I can't NOT do it. Thats what I think about Jacques - he has to stick with the idea in his head - Zubrus has to pay center even if the team would be better off with him not... because the team needs balance even if they WIN with the balance a little out of kilter... I dont know -- it's just starting to bug me. The game has to rule the system and he's just WEDDED to the system at all costs - I think he can adjust the system I was pleased to see that -- but he just can't see the balance off no matter how great the results are.... that's what I'm thinking anyhow,
A dog has the soul of a philosopher. --Plato
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. --Groucho Marx
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. --Mark Twain

In case you wondered... I'm Pepperkorn's dog

#5 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:59 PM

I just don't see it this year. Even with the trade.

Yeah, why dream big and enjoy an exciting hockey season when you can be a debbie downer instead and predict failure? That's much more fun.

We just traded for a legitimate top 5 scorer in the league, and all you can say is "Sorry guys, it's not happening this year." Come on. He hasn't even played a game yet and we have three other players still out with injuries. How do you know what's going to happen? This is just pessimism for the sake of pessimism.

#6 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:08 PM

If a dynamic player like Kovie couldn't make this team a legit contendor, than they should have just folded the season after last game and rested up until next year.
Very respectful post playing Devils' advocate...but.....Come on - seriouslly.
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#7 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:16 PM

The thing I don't get is how come the fans can see Neids is a lazy bastard but the coaching staff doesn't? Same goes with Peters and Pando, I don't get why they are even dressing anymore.
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#8 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,920 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:44 PM

it's great to see some old faces from the network54 board - not many of us left around here, it seems.

in summary of your post - it's not the 1990s anymore. scott stevens isn't walking through that door. neither is scott niedermayer. the devils aren't going to only allow 6 shots in a playoff game again. our memory tricks us into thinking these guys never faltered, but they did, plenty of years.

i think johnny oduya has some very good skills, but i'd be shocked if he became something significant. i would put his failure more on paul martin being injured than jacques lemaire being here - martin is clearly the guy who carried the water on that pairing. which by the way martin has been out for almost the entire season.

11 of andy greene's 24 points are on the power play. he has improved significantly. he's the #1 defenseman on the best defense in the league. and then you slam brodeur? who's responsible for the #1 defense - fairy magic? either brodeur or the defense are at least partly responsible.

mottau is playing 25 minutes because there is no one else. even before oduya was gone, he was not playing well enough to get that kind of time.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#9 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,865 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:40 PM

it's great to see some old faces from the network54 board - not many of us left around here, it seems.

in summary of your post - it's not the 1990s anymore. scott stevens isn't walking through that door. neither is scott niedermayer. the devils aren't going to only allow 6 shots in a playoff game again. our memory tricks us into thinking these guys never faltered, but they did, plenty of years.

i think johnny oduya has some very good skills, but i'd be shocked if he became something significant. i would put his failure more on paul martin being injured than jacques lemaire being here - martin is clearly the guy who carried the water on that pairing. which by the way martin has been out for almost the entire season.

11 of andy greene's 24 points are on the power play. he has improved significantly. he's the #1 defenseman on the best defense in the league. and then you slam brodeur? who's responsible for the #1 defense - fairy magic? either brodeur or the defense are at least partly responsible.

mottau is playing 25 minutes because there is no one else. even before oduya was gone, he was not playing well enough to get that kind of time.

Thanks Tri...you saved my all that typing

And let's add that Salmela is only a small Notch below Oduya in skill but a huge notch in $s

And we are missing Elias, Clarkson, and Martin... things looking up not down
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users