• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 09:02 PM

Stan Fischler
Bluelines: Bowman to Blueshirts never got serious
http://www.msgnetwor...gers&league=nhl

Jun 17, 2003

Michael Peca is available and already has been offered to at least one Western team. The Isles' captain's leadership and performance down the stretch has been critically questioned.

One insider whispers that Scotty Bowman never seriously considered himself a candidate for the Rangers' coaching job. Stories suggesting otherwise -- according to our source -- were Bowman-inspired merely to annoy Glen Sather. Scotty's pipeline was Pierre McGuire, who buzzed throughout the playoffs that Bowman would come to the Blueshirts.

Meanwhile, the Rangers' coaching job appears to be Larry Robinson's if he can hammer out a deal with Sather. Major issues include team control (non-interference) and the status of Mark Messier, among others. One who would ecstatically embrace Robinson is his former pupil, Bobby Holik. Robbie says, "The deciding factor will probably be my wife, and what she thinks. She's got to be comfortable with this."

The Lou Lamoriello-to-Boston rumors finally were squelched by Lou following the Cup win. "I have no intentions of going anywhere," says the champ-maker.

Charles Wang continues to float the idea that he'd buy the Nets and move them to Nassau Coliseum as co-tenant with his Islanders. It's part of his bid for a new Coliseum which isn't likely to happen because of the county's fiscal problems.

Jeff Hackett's supposed return to Boston may be detoured through Denver or Philadelphia. Patrick Roy's retirement leaves a vacancy in Colorado while Philly also is in the market for a new netminder now that Roman Cechmanek has moved to L.A. The Flyers may have the edge since two of Hackett's former Habs-pals, Mark Recchi and Eric Weinrich, are Flyers.

Steve Thomas should return for another year in Anaheim.

Ken Daneyko tells us he's working on a rink-restaurant complex in New Jersey with his business partner. That could hasten his retirement decision in the next week or so. An upcoming meeting with Lou Lamoriello will decide Dano's future.
No question, more severe goalie equipment rules will be a product of Summer meetings. Everyone -- but goaltenders -- has become sick and tired of the oversized equipment.

J.S. Giguere's pads, etc. were under scrutiny during the playoffs but warden Colin Campbell offered a revealing observation, noting, "He (Giguere) is straddling the borderline." Which is about as close to illegal as one could get!

Now that the playoffs are over, we can look back on the contrast in Trade-Deadline acquisitions. Steve Thomas helped Anaheim to the seventh game of the Finals. And then there was Phil Housley in Toronto. Or, wherever he was!

Injury-plagued Martin Straka is available but he's an expensive ($4 million) gamble.

Should Boston be interested in John LeClair, Philly would have to take overpriced Martin Lapointe off the Bruins' hands. Which isn't likely since Bob Clarke is in a payroll-cutting frame of mind.

Keith Jones and Craig Berube appeared together on a Philly radio station and each called Ed Snider the best owner for whom they ever played.

Concussion-victim Stu Grimson is enrolling at the University of Memphis Law School after finishing an economics degree at the University of Manitoba. Slowly, Stu is returning to A-1 health. "I'm able to walk a couple of miles now (without headaches)," he says.

Gary Bettman hosts ownership Tuesday at the Waldorf-Astoria in Manhattan. Board of Governors' meeting will zero in on health of 30 teams and strategy for the projected CBA war.

Expect a ton of trades at the Draft. Budget-cutting teams will be directly involved. High-payroll clubs are trimming salaries and looking for draft picks.

With that in mind, Darcy Regier is expected to unload his No. 5 pick for experienced talent.

Rick Dudley is interested in dealing his top pick and could ask for Sergei Samsonov. Dudley brought Samsonov over from Russia to play with the IHL Detroit Vipers when he was g.m. there. Mike O'Connell could very well be interested. If he doesn't get an offer to suit him, Duds says he'll happily use the pick.

Is Vaclav Prospal the man to replace Sergei Fedorov should he leave Detroit? (AP)
If Detroit fails to keep Sergei Fedorov, Ken Holland may go after Tampa's Vaclav Prospal. At least that's what Prospal thinks.
The Bruins should be naming their coach momentarily. But it doesn't look like Peter Laviolette is in the running. "We're just looking for a healthy understanding of the game and what it takes to win and hopefully we get along and he can get along with the players and it's a guy the players can believe in," says Mike O'Connell.

If Jeff Hackett leaves Boston, all the B's would have to show for Kyle McLaren would be minor-league defenseman Jeff Jillson.

Peter Forsberg likes money. We say he'll like it again in Denver in 2003-04.

The only thing nuttier than Craig Patrick hiring Ed Olczyk was the GM being misty-eyed through the new coach's opening speech. "I cry when I'm happy," explains Patrick. I need a psychologist or something!"
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#2 sheeps

sheeps

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 10:23 PM

Big news in this one.

If Robinson aided the enemy, I'd have mixed feelings of course, but the enemy is the enemy, no matter how much he has done for your team in the past.

Interesting about Daneyko... in the CAA, would it be?

Don't move the Nets... NEW ARENA NOW

#3 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,695 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 10:31 PM

Yeah as much as I will always be a Larry fan, if he went to the Rag$ I'd have to ditch my avatar :P

Of course there's plenty of new ones to choose from after this year. :lol:
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#4 NJayDevil

NJayDevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 10:53 PM

If Larry went to the Rags to coach, I wouldn't be as proud to say his name as I do right now.
Official Keeper of Little G
New Jersey Devils|3|New York Yankees|27|New York Giants|3|Penn State|4|
"They are the loudest and most loyal students in the country. They call this place Happy Valley?
That's an understatement tonight. This is definitely the best place on Earth. I have seen Paternoville,
I have seen these students...there is nothing like this in the country."

-ESPN College Gameday
"We cannot rank Penn State University against other schools
in the party school category because we feel it is unfair to
rank professionals against amateurs."

-Playboy Magazine
"You're driving along with nothing and then it's like
cow... cow... cow... 20,000 hot chicks!
That's Penn State."

-Jon Stewart

#5 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 11:18 PM

Interesting about Daneyko... in the CAA, would it be?

I don't think so. What I got from the wording was that he would be building a new rink-restaurant complex, but it's vaguely worded.
Posted Image

#6 SBT

SBT

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 11:29 PM

Jeff Hackett's supposed return to Boston may be detoured through Denver or Philadelphia.

Hackett sucks.
Let him go to the Flyers.

#7 SBT

SBT

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 11:33 PM

Peter Forsberg likes money. We say he'll like it again in Denver in 2003-04.

GREED IS GOOD.

#8 GetReal

GetReal

All-Star

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 03:42 AM

I would welcome Robinson to the Rangers. Why not wish him well if that is his choice? As for Messier, I would hope they are talking about getting rid of him.

Rangers need to improve as a team and it will help NHL hockey, which needs help to survive from it's weaken position.

As much as a rival for the Devils they still sell out CAA and that helps Devils management to get other better qualified players with talent.

Without selling out CAA and with the Nets maybe going to Long Island the Devils won't be far behind the Nets if the attendance problems continue.

I hear there were about 20,000 people at the 2003 parade, about 5,000 less than the 2000 parade. That's not a good sign for the Devils especailly when it was free. Amazing how many people show when it's FREE.
NJ Devils are the CHAMPIONS & Nets Be Proud..Thanks to both NJ Teams for 2002/2003

"Bring Them On" sure George, your arrogant "my way or the highway" policies and remarks pissed the Iragi off more... 32 unnecessary US military deaths so far since G. W.'s remarks and dozens are wounded. It continues daily. Thanks Goerge. There are now 10-25 attacks against US soldiers daily.

Smart mouth, arrogant Bush, his kids are safe.

The BUCK never stops at BUSH if it's bad, he finds someone to take the blame for him, ie: Tenet's mea cupa.

Impeach G. W., the Iraq war was built on his lies...... lies........lies.

Do Not Re-Elect a Son of a Bush. Impeach him instead.

#9 SpeakoftheDevil(s)

SpeakoftheDevil(s)

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 06:56 AM

I would welcome Robinson to the Rangers. Why not wish him well if that is his choice?

Simple, cause then he would be our mortal enemy. Anymore questions?
"Weakness is provacative, it often intices people to do what they oridnarily wouldn't"

Posted Image

Steinbrenner quickly responded to the RedSox Owner, (who was complaining about the Yankees signing of ARod), saying: "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction." In regards to

#10 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,864 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 07:37 AM

Robinson to the Ranger$ is perfect...... for the Devils.

He's a player's coach and they certainly need a coach there who can be friends with the players. :D

Sather's thinks Robbie will teach his defenseman how to play "D"
The only problem is they don't have any defenseman who play "D"
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#11 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 07:38 AM

I read there were 25,000 at the 1995 parade and 40,000 at the 2000. I was at the 2000 and I will say it was 40,000.
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#12 LIDevsFan1

LIDevsFan1

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 09:02 AM

I would welcome Robinson to the Rangers. Why not wish him well if that is his choice? As for Messier, I would hope they are talking about getting rid of him.

Rangers need to improve as a team and it will help NHL hockey, which needs help to survive from it's weaken position.

As much as a rival for the Devils they still sell out CAA and that helps Devils management to get other better qualified players with talent.

Without selling out CAA and with the Nets maybe going to Long Island the Devils won't be far behind the Nets if the attendance problems continue.

I hear there were about 20,000 people at the 2003 parade, about 5,000 less than the 2000 parade. That's not a good sign for the Devils especailly when it was free. Amazing how many people show when it's FREE.

GR---Sometimes I think you bring a healthy dose of skepticism to this board which at times can sound like a pop-pop waving cheerleaders club. Other times I think you're just a freak.

#13 LIDevsFan1

LIDevsFan1

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 09:05 AM

Oh, and frankly the Isles have a better chance of leaving LI than the Nets do coming to it. Trust me on that one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users