412 replies to this topic

#361 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,378 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:54 PM

yankees are getting their ass kicked in this ALCS.

they need CC, Pettite to pitch hell of a games. IF they make it to game 7m do they turn to CC again on SHORT rest?

No, the rotation is set up CC, Phil, Andy for games 5, 6, and 7 respectively.

I've pretty much given up hope but I suppose anything is possible and crazier things have happened in sports. Go Yankees! Hoping like all hell the bats get hot and they get some strong pitching performances. One at-bat a time now.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#362 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:55 AM

Swisher's dodge when he was up in the 8th, infuriated me.. more than any other of the missed opportunity(s) the Yanks had last night. It's baseball 101.. LET IT HIT YOU! No excuse for anything less! He was behind on the count anyway, and the bases were loaded. He didn't even need to lean into it.. all he had to do was stand there. Do you think Jeter would've done the same?! :argh:
Had he have allowed Oliver to hit him; it would've been a 7-4 game.. with the bases loaded.. and 1 out. Instead, he leaps out of the way ice-capades style.. finished the at-bat by flying out to center.. the Yankees end the inning without scoring any runs, leaving 3 stranded... and ultimately, lose the game 10-3.

Did Swisher kill quality momentum for the Yanks to, not only win the game.. but possibly the series? You tell me. :noclue: Swisher did not speak to reporters before leaving Yankee Stadium after the game had ended. Perhaps the realization of killing a rally, that may have had the Yanks 2-2 instead of 3-1 in this series.. set-in the moment he entered the dugout.
Too little, too late sweetheart.

..lesson learned Swish. Next time, take one for the team -vs- trying to be a hero. :angry:

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#363 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:46 AM

Beezer, you could pick on a lot of guys in addition to Swisher. A slew of guys didn't execute ... Burnett, Teixeira, A-Rod, the entire bullpen. I know a lot of people are upset with Girardi, too, but I don't see it. There's too many guys that don't get big hits and don't get enough people out. It's that simple. There aren't enough managerial moves to overcome it.

#364 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,980 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:53 PM

I'm not a huge Girardi fan myself but lets just call it what it is: A good ol' fashioned ass kicking by a team that is on a roll. Kudos to Texas, they are coming through with the clutch hits, especially with RISP.

Burnett missed his spot on the Molina HR: Look at where Cirivelli was setting up for that pitch. It happens. Fatigue? Eh...not buying it....let's be fair here folks, the warning signs for the Yankees were there for months and we though the Twins series fixed everything...well it did not.

I do not care of the payroll is $400 million: When 2 of your starters are basically worthless at this point (Vasquez and Burnett) and another (Hughes) has been wildly inconsistent much of the 2nd half of the season, these things will happen. And oh yeah, the back end of the bullpen is a mess.

Yankees are getting old real fast guys. Texas is younger, more guys in their prime. And DO NOT throw the kitchen sink at Lee, you see how that worked out for the Mets with Santana.

Edited by LOTCB, 20 October 2010 - 01:57 PM.

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#365 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:37 PM

Girardi maybe needed to tell Burnett to step away from the chalupa one batter earlier!

#366 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:46 PM

And DO NOT throw the kitchen sink at Lee, you see how that worked out for the Mets with Santana.

Throwing a lot of money at Lee makes sense. If Pettitte retires the rotation would be:

Sabathia, Hughes, Burnett, Nova?, Joba?, some other kid?

That isn't going to get the job done.

The Junior Varsity is a mess. Santana is the least of their problems. Lee fills a need and the Yankees have the means to get it done.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#367 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,889 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:52 PM

Yankees are getting old real fast guys. Texas is younger, more guys in their prime. And DO NOT throw the kitchen sink at Lee, you see how that worked out for the Mets with Santana.

Except that the Mets actually had to trade for Santana as well, all the Yankees would have to give up is money, and last I checked the Yankee allowance is a little higher than the Met allowance.

The Junior Varsity is a mess. Santana is the least of their problems. Lee fills a need and the Yankees have the means to get it done.

Santana might not be back till June next year, and his last two seasons have ended with surgeries. So far he's been the least of our problems but he could be headed for a Pedro-like crater soon if he's not already there.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#368 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:54 PM

In the next five years, the Yankees will have a season with a $225 million payroll and a losing record. Book it.

Edited by Jerrydevil, 20 October 2010 - 02:55 PM.

#369 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,980 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:33 PM

Except that the Mets actually had to trade for Santana as well, all the Yankees would have to give up is money, and last I checked the Yankee allowance is a little higher than the Met allowance.

Met$ have PLENTY of money that is not their issue.

Rangers payroll is $55 million, Met$ is $132 million...I think Mets fans are one of the last fan bases that should be referring to the Yankee$ payroll IMO.

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#370 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,889 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:10 PM

Met$ have PLENTY of money that is not their issue.

Rangers payroll is $55 million, Met$ is $132 million...I think Mets fans are one of the last fan bases that should be referring to the Yankee$ payroll IMO.

Yes but the point of bringing it up was when the Mets have $20+ million on the DL of a $120-130 million payroll (which almost certainly is going down next year thanks to the Madoffs and justifiably lousy attendance) that's still a significant chunk, if that happened to the Yankees with an over $200 million one with the ability for them to spend even more than that it's a little different. With them it's not really a risk to give Lee $25 million a year.

In the next five years, the Yankees will have a season with a $225 million payroll and a losing record. Book it.

It depends...it's been a generation since they have had a losing season, they do have a lot of core guys that can get old all at once though, but if they were able to add Lee with Sabathia, that's a pretty good 1-2 punch that could prevent a total bottoming out even if that happens.

And btw I think their GM is pretty good, sure he'll never be asked to win with a $50 million payroll but the Yankees have slowly built up the farm system since Cashman gained total control. It is possible to mismanage all those resources but I don't think it'll happen under their current baseball leadership.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 20 October 2010 - 04:20 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#371 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:52 PM

It depends...it's been a generation since they have had a losing season, they do have a lot of core guys that can get old all at once though.

It's what I was thinking. And when you have older players, you are more susceptible to injuries, and that could apply to Cliff Lee, too.

#372 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,378 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:14 PM

Missed the first few innings because of work but it's nice to come home and see the Yankees out with a decent lead and CC on the mound. Hopefully this is the start of the offense getting hot (and hopefully staying hot for a long time).

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#373 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,221 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:55 PM

5 years from now, the yankees will most likely have a top-3 of Sabathia, Lee, and Hughes. They will have a developed Robinson Cano in his prime, and you hav to imagine we'll get at least one more solid offensive player from the market. I would bet a good amount of money that they don't have a losing record win the next five years.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#374 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,378 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:03 PM

5 years from now, the yankees will most likely have a top-3 of Sabathia, Lee, and Hughes. They will have a developed Robinson Cano in his prime, and you hav to imagine we'll get at least one more solid offensive player from the market. I would bet a good amount of money that they don't have a losing record win the next five years.

Not to mention how scary good Montero could be if he reaches his potential, and having him and Romine splitting C duties could be awesome. Plus if one of Brackman, Betances, or Banuelos is as good as advertised they could make that roation you mentioned even stronger.

#375 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,221 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:14 PM

Not to mention how scary good Montero could be if he reaches his potential, and having him and Romine splitting C duties could be awesome. Plus if one of Brackman, Betances, or Banuelos is as good as advertised they could make that roation you mentioned even stronger.

Not that I disagree, but are you content on keeping Montero (instead of trading him)? Much has been said about his defensive ability, or lack thereof, and I've been watching Jorge make a tool out of himself behind the plate for long enough that I really wouldn't be able to stand that. So from what I've heard, he may be groomed as a first baseman-- and on the Yankees, we've got that spot locked up for at least another 7 years. He's really a man without a position, and I'll be damned if we're grooming our future DH instead of looking for value in other positions. If Romine is as good as advertised, we've got our future catcher.

Posted Image

#376 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,221 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:12 PM

We'll CC you in texas!

Posted Image

#377 thegame346

thegame346

Senior Devil

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:15 PM

If we get this kind of performance out of the Yanks in Game 6 and win, and get the same performance in game 7 but lose I can live with that vs losing the way we did in games 2, 3, and 4.

#378 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:27 PM

i began to wonder if Giradi made a stink about Cliff Lee's hat (accusations of him putting illegal stuff on there, would that make Cliff Lee not want to join the Yanks next year

#379 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:56 PM

We'll CC you in texas!

Get ready for a Hughes disappointment.

#380 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,378 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:17 PM

Not that I disagree, but are you content on keeping Montero (instead of trading him)? Much has been said about his defensive ability, or lack thereof, and I've been watching Jorge make a tool out of himself behind the plate for long enough that I really wouldn't be able to stand that. So from what I've heard, he may be groomed as a first baseman-- and on the Yankees, we've got that spot locked up for at least another 7 years. He's really a man without a position, and I'll be damned if we're grooming our future DH instead of looking for value in other positions. If Romine is as good as advertised, we've got our future catcher.

I think the Yankees would have to get the perfect deal to trade Montero, and I'm not sure if that exist...I mean the only scenario that I would have been fine with was the Lee trade that fell through.

From what I've read on Montero it seems a lot of scouts think he can pass as a part time catcher but not full time. Though it seems almost everyone raves about his offensive game and I've even heard comparisons to Manny. The numbers definitely back that up. This is just my opinion, but I think the Yankees plan to keep him around mainly as a DH who will do a bit of catching. I wouldn't be shocked to see them try him at a corner OF position just to give him a bit more of versatility. I wonder if they are going to use him coming out of camp or if they are going to give him more time in AAA. Perhaps even Romine starts in AA and gets the quick promotion to AAA. I expect him to have a better year offensively since it looks like catching for his first full year caught up to him at the plate. His first few months and last month we're good for him but the middle of the year really saw his production drop. Either way I'm excited since it appears that the Yankees can go from Jorge/Montero to Romine/Montero when the time comes....hell if Gary Sanchez is the real deal and goes through the minors quick the Yankees will have some depth and may move or the other if they see fit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users