412 replies to this topic

#21 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:07 PM

I'd rank the Yankees' top four with the Sox top four. Lester/Beckett/Lackey/Matsuzaka and Sabathia/Burnett/Pettitte/Vasquez. The Yanks' fifth starter could be a poorly trained chimp that sniffs glue and it would still be a damn good rotation.

Plus the Yanks have a way better batting lineup. Boston's just hasn't been the same since Manny left and Big Poopy stopped juicing. And now Bay's gone too. Yikes.

Start spreading the news ...... :evil:

Burnett - 4.36 TERA, 4.29 XFIP and 4.33 FIP, those are numbers suitable for an average #4 in the league.
Pettitte - 4.32 TERO, 4.38 XFIP and 4.14 FIP, you have two average #4 pitchers at the front of the rotation.
Vasquez - Very nice stat line but last time he was in the AL he sucked. A flyball pitcher in a homerun park.
Sabathia - An ace
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#22 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:34 PM

Vasquez - Very nice stat line but last time he was in the AL he sucked. A flyball pitcher in a homerun park.

I think you are cutting Javier Vazquez really short. He was terrific in the AL with the White Sox from 2006-2008, and that was pitching in a ballpark that was consistently ranked in the top 4 HR-friendly parks in that 3 year time period (based on MLB Park Factors):

tERA, xFIP, WAR
2006: 4.09, 4.05, +4.8
2007: 3.66, 3.72, +5.1
2008: 4.01, 3.85, +4.8

As for the Yankees rotation vs Red Sox rotation, I'd say they are fairly even.

Yankees Rotation CHONE-Projected WAR
Sabathia: +5.6
Vazquez: +4.7
Pettitte: +3.4
Burnett: +3.1
Hughes: +2.5
TOTAL: +19.3

Red Sox Rotation CHONE-Projected WAR
Lester: +4.5
Beckett: +4.1
Lackey: +3.6
Buchholz: +2.3
Matsuzaka: +2.2
TOTAL: +16.7

Edited by nmigliore, 21 March 2010 - 09:42 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#23 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,210 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:32 AM

The drive for #28 begins tonight!!!! Lets go Yankees!!!! Insanely pumped up for this!!! Can't believe how fast the offseason went.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#24 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:13 PM

2010 is shaping up a lot like 2009 with the Yankees on national TV a lot!

Tonight: @ Boston 8:00PM ESPN2
Tuesday: @ Boston 7:10PM MLB Network
Wednesday: @ Boston 7:10PM ESPN2
Saturday: @ Tampa 3:10PM Fox
Sunday 4/11: @ Tampa 1:40PM TBS
Home Opener 4/13: vs Anaheim 1:05PM MLB Network

I think this is going to be a great season. On paper this team is better than last year's.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#25 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,210 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:37 PM

I think this is going to be a great season. On paper this team is better than last year's.

Exactly, I love what Cashman did this offseason, it's all a matter of staying healthy. Replacement Level made a breakdown of some statistical projections...

Yankees

Average Projected Wins: 96
Division Title Percentage: 40.7%
Wild Card Percentage: 22.3%
Playoff Percentage: 63.0%

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#26 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:22 AM

I friggin love it.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5062881

BOSTON -- After going hitless for a second straight game Tuesday to start the season, Boston Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz lashed out at reporters when reminded that his struggles last April and May would be a hot topic if he was slow at the start of this season as well.

"Good," he said, turning to face the reporters encircling him. "You guys wait till [expletive] happens, then you can talk [expletive]. Two [expletive] games, and already you [expletives] are going crazy.

"What's up with that, man? [Expletive]. [Expletive] 160 games left. That's a [expletive]. One of you [expletives] got to go ahead and hit for me."

Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#27 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:31 PM

I friggin love it.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5062881

BOSTON -- After going hitless for a second straight game Tuesday to start the season, Boston Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz lashed out at reporters when reminded that his struggles last April and May would be a hot topic if he was slow at the start of this season as well.

"Good," he said, turning to face the reporters encircling him. "You guys wait till [expletive] happens, then you can talk [expletive]. Two [expletive] games, and already you [expletives] are going crazy.

"What's up with that, man? [Expletive]. [Expletive] 160 games left. That's a [expletive]. One of you [expletives] got to go ahead and hit for me."

LOL That is great.

But seriously, I can't blame him for thinking that. I would be pissed too if a reporter was asking me that after TWO games in a ONE-HUNDRED SIXTY-TWO game season. That said, he could've worded it a little better obviously.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#28 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:19 PM

The ring is the thing....

Posted Image

Palin 2012

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

#29 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

Unlike a certain hockey team which will remain nameless, the Yankees know what to do when they face a team they are clearly better than....beat them.

I saw this on a blog and thought it was interesting.

On average, the Yankees’ 2009 gate receipts for a seven game home series were greater than the Pirates’ gate receipts for the entire year.

http://itsaboutthemo...o-our-uccess-2/

Palin 2012

#30 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:54 AM

Unlike a certain hockey team which will remain nameless, the Yankees know what to do when they face a team they are clearly better than....beat them.

I saw this on a blog and thought it was interesting.

http://itsaboutthemo...o-our-uccess-2/

Well, duh. One team is clearly committed to putting the best possible product on the field and using all of its resources to do so...even when that commitment doesn't culminate in a World Series championship, the on-field product is star-studded and entertaining to its fanbase. The other team doesn't spend and probably won't anytime soon, so until they're able to build a product from within that fans would actually want to see, things won't be changing in Pittsburgh anytime soon.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#31 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:04 PM

The Pirates may not spend on free agency, but I think they are under the right direction now with GM Neal Huntington. They spent a ton on the draft the past 2 years, and I think its safe to presume they will to do so again this year (they have the #2 overall pick too). They are building from within, and I think the results will begin to show in a few years.

Edited by nmigliore, 20 April 2010 - 12:05 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#32 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:09 PM

The Pirates may not spend on free agency, but I think they are under the right direction now with GM Neal Huntington. They spent a ton on the draft the past 2 years, and I think its safe to presume they will to do so again this year (they have the #2 overall pick too). They are building from within, and I think the results will begin to show in a few years.

that catcher they took last year was supposed to be for signability but they spent on Alvarez and guys later in the draft. People were against Huntington last year for trading half his roster and saying he hurt the fans, but god forbid he actually traded a bunch of losers and got something for them. I know from the yankees he got ohlendorf who's actually pretty good now and gave up basically nothing in return except half a year of the X man and 3 good weeks of Demaso Marte
Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#33 Steadevils

Steadevils

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:33 AM

http://www.pinstripe...is-all-star-bid

everyone get in on the cause.. vote early vote often and lets get cervelli into the allstar game
"I realized from Day 1 the way I played I'd never be a Gretzky or a Lemieux, well, a Mario I mean. I was never going to be a player to get standing ovations in a visitors' building."

-- Claude Lemieux - May 7, 1999

#34 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 02:36 PM

http://www.pinstripealley.com/2010/4/28/1449799/cervellis-all-star-bid

everyone get in on the cause.. vote early vote often and lets get cervelli into the allstar game

voted.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#35 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:44 PM

Speaking of Cervelli, is it just me or does his new batting helmet make him look like The Great Gazoo?

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#36 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,210 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:13 PM

Agreed, I'm pretty sure that's been his new nickname since he started wearing it. Sucks hockey ended the way it did but damn, am I glad to have the Yankees! Really the only big downside this season to me has been the Granderson injury which isn't that bad. I know people hate Vazquez but I still have faith in him. I've been meaning to learn more about the Pitch F/X data and try to see what that can tell me about his season so far but I've been too tired from work. If anyone else wants to take a stab at it that'd be sweet.

I think my three favorite things about this young season is the play of Cano, Gardner, and Hughes. Really enjoyable to watch those guys get off to hot starts and get some confidence.

#37 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:00 PM

I've been meaning to learn more about the Pitch F/X data and try to see what that can tell me about his season so far but I've been too tired from work. If anyone else wants to take a stab at it that'd be sweet.

I mostly focus on the Mets' pitchers pitch f/x, but I took a look at Vazquez for the hell of it (first the numbers, not the actual charts) and noticed right off the bat:

- His fastball velocity is down 2 mph.
- His pitch type percentages are a little different than last year -- decrease in using his 4-seam FB and slider while hes increased the use of his 2-seam FB, change-up, and curveball -- though bare in mind these are still sample sizes.
- Both the vertical and horizontal movement on his curveball, his out pitch, are down from last year.

As for the charts, here is a comparison (velocity and horizontal movement) from a start in 2009 and his last start (vs Chicago) this year:
Posted Image

You can see that all of his offspeed pitches -- the slider, curveball, and change-up -- all lacked the consistency in horizontal movement and velocity compared to that start in 2009. Not a huge difference in the movement with the fastball, but the velocity really fluctuated in the 210 start.

Edited by nmigliore, 03 May 2010 - 09:03 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#38 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:15 AM

Jonathan ROFLbon.
Posted Image

#39 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:55 AM

Was at Saturday's game, pretty much seated where Tex belted his homer. Was all kinds of awesome to watch.

As an aside, Thames might be playing himself into a DH role when Granderson comes back and Posada is catching, since who knows when Johnson is coming back.
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#40 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,210 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:51 PM

Last night's game was one of the reasons I love watching baseball. Especially Yankee-Red Sox games, since anything can happen and no lead is safe. In a way it reminded me of that July 1, 2004 game (Jeter catch, Cairo and Flaherty stepping up) that the Yankees won in extras since you just had that "feeling" they were going to come back and win. Fun times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users