412 replies to this topic

#381 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:21 PM

i began to wonder if Giradi made a stink about Cliff Lee's hat (accusations of him putting illegal stuff on there, would that make Cliff Lee not want to join the Yanks next year

Girardi doesn't have a problem with his hat...

Link

"You have a lot of guys that put rosin," Girardi said. "They have a rosin residue. It's just the way he does it. Every pitcher usually has a little thing that he does. It doesn't strike me as really odd."

Though that idiot Michael Kay was the one had an issue with it. Either way I don't think Lee would really care, money talks, the chance to win, lifestyle, etc. A lot more things than any comments over a hat are going to make up his mind.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#382 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:25 PM

Going to 6 baby! Keep the faith! I'm hoping this is the start of the offense coming alive again. Just gotta get on another hot streak and I expect Hughes to have a much better performance this go around. Go Yankees!

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#383 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:37 PM

Going to 6 baby! Keep the faith! I'm hoping this is the start of the offense coming alive again. Just gotta get on another hot streak and I expect Hughes to have a much better performance this go around. Go Yankees!

Despite putting 7 on the board today the offense still went 2 for 11 with RISP bringing the ALCS total to 8 for 50 (!) in that situation. That won't get it done.

That said, I expect Hughes to put on his big boy pants on Friday and we will see a brawl for it all on Saturday.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#384 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:51 PM

I just hope Hughes pitches like he did the in the playoffs against the Twins

#385 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:25 PM

I WANT to believe...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#386 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:07 PM

I'm surprised so many of you Yankee fans are holding out so much hope.
Why doesn't anybody ever say these kinds of things when the Devils go down 3-1 in a series? :noclue:
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#387 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:25 PM

Why doesn't anybody ever say these kinds of things when the Devils go down 3-1 in a series? :noclue:

If the Devils ever make it to the conference championship the year after dominating the league and winning the stanley cup, go down 3-1 in the series and have an enormous game to make it 2-3, I'm sure we would have the same confidence in them.

Also, the leader of this team is Derek Jeter. The leader of the Devils right now is Jamie Langenbrunner. Don't forget that when we had a solid leader in Scotty Stevens, we did go down 3-1 in the series in a conference championship, and we pulled out victorious. So, I don't really get your analogy.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#388 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:29 PM

Get ready for a Hughes disappointment.

Clever... very clever.

Posted Image

#389 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,924 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:37 PM

Yes but the point of bringing it up was when the Mets have $20+ million on the DL of a $120-130 million payroll (which almost certainly is going down next year thanks to the Madoffs and justifiably lousy attendance) that's still a significant chunk, if that happened to the Yankees with an over $200 million one with the ability for them to spend even more than that it's a little different. With them it's not really a risk to give Lee $25 million a year.

Fair enough, but if you are going to crunch the numbers that way to make the Mets payroll look less significant, I think it is fair to say that the Yankee$ pay more for Free Agents because of who they are. Agents know this, players know this and that is another albeit the smaller of the factors for the exorbitant payroll, but it is, and Ill say 20%.

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#390 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,942 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:04 PM

When's the last time the Devils came back to win a playoff series? Other than 2006 against a decidedly mediocre Tampa team (2-1), 2001 against Toronto was the last time (3-2). Granted the Yankees don't have a lot of recent comebacks in their repitore either but their Scott Stevens (Jeter) hasn't retired yet, that core deserves the benefit of the doubt...ours really doesn't.

Besides you'd probably see the same kind of ranting and raving about the Yankees on a Yankees board. That isn't the primary function of this place so you have a lot more moderate posts on other teams than you do on the primary team (Devils) here, though us Met fans can do woe is me pretty good, and with good reason :P

Edited by NJDevs4978, 21 October 2010 - 03:05 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#391 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:12 PM

Good season. The Cliff Lee in pinstripes watch begins now.

Posted Image

#392 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:33 PM

What a horrendous effort....
Posted ImagePosted Image

#393 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:42 PM

Good season. The Cliff Lee in pinstripes watch begins now.

Watch? You mean countdown, right?

Yankee Philosophy 101:
If at first you don't succeed, buy, buy again.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#394 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:57 PM

Gotta tip my hat and give the Texas Rangers a lot of credit. They earned this trip to the World Series.

The results may not have been there this year for the Yankees but I'm proud of this team. It wasn't an ideal year with the collapse in September and shortcoming in the post season but I always felt like the effort was there. These guys aren't robots, they're human, just because they don't produce doesn't mean they don't care. I have to thank the Steinbrenner's for once again putting a championship caliber team on the field, Brian Cashman and his crew for putting together that team, and the team for the effort that they put forth. I may be a tough critic of Girardi but I know his heart is in the right place. He's here to stay so I'm not going to bother complaining about that this offseason.

Looking forward to the drive for 28 in 2011. Go Yankees!

#395 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:05 PM

3 hits? 3 lousy hits? Against Lee, sure it happens. Against Colby Lewis? Yikes. I expected more in an elimination game. Texas did earn it. They were the better team in this series.

Whatever it takes, Lee has to be on the Yankees next season. Whatever it takes.

Also, I seriously consider picking up Woods' option. I know $11M is a lot for a setup man, but Wood was impressive.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#396 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,160 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:23 PM

I think you guys can do better than Wood for $11M. That's insane money for a setup man, not to mention hes an aging Kerry Wood (I think hes been generally healthy the past few years, but still). His numbers with the Yanks, at least for the regular season, were only over 26 innings and his ERA was an aberration due to some really good luck, like a really low BABIP and a low HR rate despite being very flyball prone. I wouldn't expect a low BABIP and low HR rate to continue, and the advanced stats (xFIP) predict his ERA probably should have been over 4. I mean even if Wood shocks everyone and pitches like he did in 2008 with the Cubs, he still won't likely be living up to his $11M price tag, at least not in the sabermetric world. The relief market looks pretty stacked too; I think you can find a better run for your money elsewhere.

Anyway, I don't mean to bud in, just my two cents. And nice season guys, can't win it every year.

Edited by nmigliore, 22 October 2010 - 11:24 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#397 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:35 AM

Gotta tip my hat and give the Texas Rangers a lot of credit. They earned this trip to the World Series.

The results may not have been there this year for the Yankees but I'm proud of this team. It wasn't an ideal year with the collapse in September and shortcoming in the post season but I always felt like the effort was there. These guys aren't robots, they're human, just because they don't produce doesn't mean they don't care. I have to thank the Steinbrenner's for once again putting a championship caliber team on the field, Brian Cashman and his crew for putting together that team, and the team for the effort that they put forth. I may be a tough critic of Girardi but I know his heart is in the right place. He's here to stay so I'm not going to bother complaining about that this offseason.

Looking forward to the drive for 28 in 2011. Go Yankees!

I know that I will eventually come to agree with this statement, but for now I remain pissed and depressed.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#398 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:59 PM

I am surprised they fired Dave Eiland :noclue:

#399 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer