412 replies to this topic

#61 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:43 PM

Cano doesn't take enough pitches to be a #3 hitter. The 5 spot is good for him right now. I like this:

Jeter
Granderson
Teixeira
Rodriguez
Cano
Posada (DH)
Swisher
Cervelli
Gardner

Even still with Robbie, he's got the highest OBP on the team (even though it's just bc of his average. I could see him at 3 or 4 on a different team just because of how good he is at driving them in (last year not included)
Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#62 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,194 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:32 PM

It's only June but it's nice to be back in first place (tie). Hopefully they can get ahead of Tampa and ride it out, I hate the Rays.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#63 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:45 PM

It's only June but it's nice to be back in first place (tie). Hopefully they can get ahead of Tampa and ride it out, I hate the Rays.

As long as we make it and the Sawx don't, I'll be fine no matter what place we're in. Really it seems to be just us and whoever else gets into the playoffs from the East for the pennant

#64 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:52 PM

And people kid themselves and say the Yankees don't need another bat. Production from anyone besides Cano has been inconsistant at best.

Also, I hate Jeter leading off. It seems like every game he has 2 or 3 singles without anyone on. It worked last year because we had a consistant #2 in Damon, something we've seriously seriously missed this year.

You know the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Someone g'head and explain to me how this years' team is as good as last years.

Nick Johnson > Johnny Damon ; Thames/Winn > Hinske/Matsui? Fail.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#65 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:19 AM

Posted Image

LETS GO YANKEES.

Posted Image

#66 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:14 PM

You know the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Someone g'head and explain to me how this years' team is as good as last years.

You're right it's not nearly as good, but it doesn't have to be. It just has to be better than all the other teams this year, and, right now at least, it is.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#67 thegame346

thegame346

Senior Devil

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:00 PM

And people kid themselves and say the Yankees don't need another bat. Production from anyone besides Cano has been inconsistant at best.

Also, I hate Jeter leading off. It seems like every game he has 2 or 3 singles without anyone on. It worked last year because we had a consistant #2 in Damon, something we've seriously seriously missed this year.

Nick Johnson > Johnny Damon ; Thames/Winn > Hinske/Matsui? Fail.

That's his job you do realize that right? Typically the #1 and #2 spots in a lineup are supposed to get on base. Then it is up to the #3 and #4 guys to drive them in. They are not RBI guys they are get on base guys.

#68 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:42 PM

That's his job you do realize that right? Typically the #1 and #2 spots in a lineup are supposed to get on base. Then it is up to the #3 and #4 guys to drive them in. They are not RBI guys they are get on base guys.

You're misreading my sentiments. With the team doing this horribly at hitting with RISP, wouldn't we be better served to have Jeter batting second where the probability of him hitting with a man on is slightly greater?

Posted Image

#69 thegame346

thegame346

Senior Devil

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:42 PM

You're misreading my sentiments. With the team doing this horribly at hitting with RISP, wouldn't we be better served to have Jeter batting second where the probability of him hitting with a man on is slightly greater?

The benefits would be minimal at best. Whether Jeter is batting first or second it doesn't make a difference. At most you are really only looking at 1st and 2nd 95% of the time if the first two get on anyway. It is still up to Teixara and Arod to score them.

#70 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:01 PM

Nick Swisher engaged

Edited by overtime98, 21 June 2010 - 06:01 PM.

New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#71 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:29 AM

Any confidence I've ever had in AJ Burnett has fully been erased. 3 home runs in the first inning against the worst team in the NL? Wonderful.

Posted Image

#72 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:53 AM

Any confidence I've ever had in AJ Burnett has fully been erased. 3 home runs in the first inning against the worst team in the NL? Wonderful.

The Diamondbacks have one of the best lineups in the NL; they are tied for the NL lead in homeruns and are 3rd in wOBA. Its their pitching -- their bullpen in particular -- that makes them so bad.

Edited by nmigliore, 22 June 2010 - 10:58 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#73 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:47 PM

The Diamondbacks have one of the best lineups in the NL; they are tied for the NL lead in homeruns and are 3rd in wOBA. Its their pitching -- their bullpen in particular -- that makes them so bad.

But still, AJ's clearly the 5th pitcher right now. He started off Cy Young worthy and somehow has dropped below Vazquez, who's been quite good lately.

And did anyone read the thing on SI.com about Cano? Interesting stuff with long. Apparently there's also supposed to be a big feature in the magazine about him this week.
Robbie and Kevin Long

#74 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:39 PM

Mariano last night...OMG. Loading up the bases and then just basically deciding nobody was scoring and in his 2nd inning no less. Unreal...

#75 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,194 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:23 PM

Mariano last night...OMG. Loading up the bases and then just basically deciding nobody was scoring and in his 2nd inning no less. Unreal...

That game was ugly as hell but ended awesome. Crazy night but it was awesome to see C-Grand with the go ahead home run, Mo bat, and get out of that huge jam. Talk about winning a game you shouldn't have.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#76 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:33 PM

That game was ugly as hell but ended awesome. Crazy night but it was awesome to see C-Grand with the go ahead home run, Mo bat, and get out of that huge jam. Talk about winning a game you shouldn't have.

hey man, a win's a win. As long as we pick up a game on TB/Bos, it's fine with me.

And I don't know about anyone else, but with US soccer and Joe Torre vs. NYY and the NHL draft, this is going to be a great weekend (except for the lack of a 1st round pick :koolaid: )

#77 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:42 PM

I don't know how you can say this team isn't better than last year's team so far.

On June 26, 2009 we were 41-32, 4 games behind Boston 406 RS 358 RA

On June 26, 2010 we are 46, 27 2.5 games ahead of Tampa...397 RS 294 RA

So the offense is more or less comparable but the pitching? Loads better. We had a revolving door at 5th starter last year. Look at some of the dreck we gave the ball to. This year? It has been great except for Bad AJ making too many appearances lately.

Yes, another bat would be useful. So would another bullpen arm. This team is not perfect.

Of course, adding a bat only makes sense if you are committed to Posada as your every day C. Giving up a lot for a guy who will DH 3 or 4 days a week is not worth it.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#78 thegame346

thegame346

Senior Devil

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:12 PM

Regardless of last year compared to this year I'd like to see the Burnett issue addressed... a move to the bullpen, less pitches, something because this bullsh!t of giving up a minimum of 5 runs a game has got to stop.

#79 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,194 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:04 PM

Well at least we know Burnett has balls...in all seriousness though he is in an extended stretch of bad AJ...I'm confident he will turn it around, my only worry is you never know which side you're going to get in the post-season.

#80 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:16 PM

If I look for terrible or awful in the dictionary, do I find AJ? I've never seen a guy start out Cy Young worthy and then turn into the worst pitcher on the staff and one of the worst in the majors. btw, it feels like this game's been on for 6 hours...and we're in the fifth inning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users