268 replies to this topic

#221 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:23 PM

Milbury is what we used to call a 'hammerhead' back in the Bronx. that mellon head of his is good for driving nails, and little else.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#222 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,341 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:23 PM

I'm not aware of Isles history. I know he did the lovly Chara/spezza for Yashin trade. Did MM trade Luongo, too?!!?! :giggle:

"He has traded away defensemen Zdeno Chara, Wade Redden, Bryan Berard, Eric Brewer, Darius Kasparaitis, and Bryan McCabe; goalies Roberto Luongo and Tommy Salo, as well as forwards Olli Jokinen, Todd Bertuzzi, Tim Connolly, and Raffi Torres. Milbury has also come under fire for his draft day decisions such as choosing Rick DiPietro first overall in 2000 over Dany Heatley and Marian Gaborik; as well as his decision to include the 2001 second overall draft pick (Jason Spezza) as part of the Alexei Yashin trade."

This man shouldn't even be legally allowed to have an opinion on anything hockey related.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#223 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:26 PM

Am I the only one who notices that Milbury is, shall we say, a little muted when the discussion turns to Luongo? I mean Mark Parish and Oleg Kvasha were great players.

+1

#224 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:28 PM

Millbury also passed over Parise in the draft
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#225 robdeselich88

robdeselich88

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:36 PM

There are a few select times you can get away with trading away a player that turns out to be decent, or even a CAPTAIN. But after you do it over and over and over there is no excuse. I'll never forget when Wang was on Mike and Maddog after he, " demoted" milbury. Wang was playing off the fact he fired him. :rolleyes:
img]http://jerseydatabase.com/sig/temp.png?ran=987145633[/img]

#226 robdeselich88

robdeselich88

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:39 PM

Millbury also passed over Parise in the draft

wow. out of the first 35 picks in that draft... 14 of them are playing in the olympics this year!
nevermind, shea weber was drafted 49th.haha

Edited by robdeselich88, 24 February 2010 - 10:40 PM.

#227 robdeselich88

robdeselich88

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:45 PM

ah looking at previous draft years can really kill you man. talk about monday morning QB
2002 nhl draft- 49 NJ-Barry Tallackson
50-CHI-Duncan Keith

#228 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:50 PM

ah looking at previous draft years can really kill you man. talk about monday morning QB
2002 nhl draft- 49 NJ-Barry Tallackson
50-CHI-Duncan Keith

I don't really get on GMs too much for unwise draft picks (Lou has had his share), especially in the NHL. Repeatedly bad trades though are another story.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#229 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:06 PM

C'mon Patty!

Posted Image

#230 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:11 PM

I don't really get on GMs too much for unwise draft picks (Lou has had his share), especially in the NHL. Repeatedly bad trades though are another story.

The Parise thing really stood out in the Isles' case though cause his dad played for them and they eschewed potential goodwill for picking him. Not only that but the only real knock on Parise going into the draft was his size, and the Isles passed on him for another smallish forward, a less proven European guy - Nilsson.

Edited by NJDevs26, 24 February 2010 - 11:12 PM.

#231 Steadevils

Steadevils

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:25 PM

A tight Chzecking game with no Finnish through 2...
"I realized from Day 1 the way I played I'd never be a Gretzky or a Lemieux, well, a Mario I mean. I was never going to be a player to get standing ovations in a visitors' building."

-- Claude Lemieux - May 7, 1999

#232 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:37 PM

dchesnokov

Bryzgalov: "We lost it ourselves. We didn't give ourselves a chance with all the turnovers. Canada did whatever they wanted with us."

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#233 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:46 PM

Anyone hear Milbury during the second intermission of Czech/Finland talking about Russia? Really starting to sound like he bet a couple grand on Russia.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#234 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:15 AM

Finland 2-0 final.

#235 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:16 AM

Sad to see Patrik going home early too...

#236 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:57 AM

It's funny to see Sweden play like people stereotypically portray NJD.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#237 CAdevsfan

CAdevsfan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:05 AM

Guess Gaborik said to Lunkhead "take that for slicing up my leg."Posted Image

#238 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:41 AM

Go Slovakia! cmon!

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#239 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:45 AM

um, I went out, but what happened to Russia.... well, I was right about goaltenders being optional, at least for Russia. :lol: didn't see it, never will, but that looks like a pretty sad performance. Germany did better.

#240 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,124 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:58 AM

I thought bad coaching and maybe politics did the Russian team in. I thought Nabby should have been pulled after the 3rd goal, but he was kept in to let in atrocious 4th goal, and then I think the first two shots in the 2nd. No idea what the heck the coach was thinking. I also didn't understand why so many KHLers were put on this team. I didn't think Kozlov and Fedorov had any business being on an Olympic team, but there they were right after they both came back to the KHL this season (Coincidence?...I don't know).

You have all these superstar players, but here you have this coach using mostly all KHL players on the PP during the early games, when he should have used that time to build chemistry between all these superstars. He was giving these KHLers way too much ice time too.

With that being said, a lot of these superstars didn't have good tournaments including Kovalchuk.

As for the Canadians...about time it clicked, and they did it tonight without Crosby being a factor. I asked before the games who would be the breakout star, and I think it is pretty clear from those who have been watching...that the answer is Drew Doughty. This kid is an absolute stud. His poise on the PP is outstanding. He has great speed, a great shot, and is a great passer, but it was his defense tonight on Ovechkin that was most impressive. This kid should have multiple Norris Trophies before his career is done. He is sick. He led all Canadian players in ice-time tonight, and the scary thing is he just turned 20...2 months ago. He is simply ridiculous.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users