268 replies to this topic

#241 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:11 AM

I thought bad coaching and maybe politics did the Russian team in. I thought Nabby should have been pulled after the 3rd goal, but he was kept in to let in atrocious 4th goal, and then I think the first two shots in the 2nd. No idea what the heck the coach was thinking. I also didn't understand why so many KHLers were put on this team. I didn't think Kozlov and Fedorov had any business being on an Olympic team, but there they were right after they both came back to the KHL this season (Coincidence?...I don't know).

You have all these superstar players, but here you have this coach using mostly all KHL players on the PP during the early games, when he should have used that time to build chemistry between all these superstars. He was giving these KHLers way too much ice time too.

With that being said, a lot of these superstars didn't have good tournaments including Kovalchuk.

As for the Canadians...about time it clicked, and they did it tonight without Crosby being a factor. I asked before the games who would be the breakout star, and I think it is pretty clear from those who have been watching...that the answer is Drew Doughty. This kid is an absolute stud. His poise on the PP is outstanding. He has great speed, a great shot, and is a great passer, but it was his defense tonight on Ovechkin that was most impressive. This kid should have multiple Norris Trophies before his career is done. He is sick. He led all Canadian players in ice-time tonight, and the scary thing is he just turned 20...2 months ago. He is simply ridiculous.

the KHL players, I don't have a rolodex of Russian players in front of me, but I think they're better than what was left. alright, maybe they threw Fedorov a bone, but Radulov and Morozov are good players. yeah, they made weird PP decisions, but really, so did the US, they kept throwing Kane and Kessel out there when Zach and Langs were the only line doing anything (and they were drawing the penalties)

edit: and Viktor is actually pretty decent in international play when they put him with better players

I'm just stunned by that result, I hoped Russia would roll them, but that's just a pathetic performance. I saw it when I was out to eat and I thought it was a typo. :lol:

looks like Canada will be in the gold medal game barring a Swedish goal in the last two minutes here.

and yes, Doughty is awesome, especially in comparison to the old man pairing

Edited by maxpower, 25 February 2010 - 02:12 AM.

#242 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:18 AM

Yessss! Slovakia does what it has to. Opportunistic on Henrik. And gritty defensive effort those final 10. Hossa also actually played well. Demitra's been a beast. And Gaborik has led along with Chara. Good for that country.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#243 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:26 AM

When is this sh!t over? I want my NHL season back.

:( :( :( :(

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#244 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:42 AM

YEAH! Just got up after having watched the Canada - Russia game late at night, turned my TV on and got to see the final five minutes of the Slovakia game... 4:3, the Queen is getting the puck out of Vancouver!! :yea:

After the group stage I had a Rangers fan shoving some "insane" Lundqvist stats in my face and comparing them to the "Fatso". Lundqvist recorded 2 shutouts! (jerk, jerk!) Brodeur sucks! (jerk, jerk!)
Oh, yeah, how 'bout that? 4 goals on 14 shots... doesn't look like a hero performance to me. Keep on posting your shutouts in the group stage meaningless games against junior-caliber rivals, Hank! Cause when it mattered most in this tournament, you failed!

Sweden not winning the tournament was the priority for me. Now, let the things play out. Seeing Zach and Langs with gold medal would be awesome, Slovakia making an even bigger upset would be sweet, too, but even more unprobable. Canada winning it all wouldn't hurt in the end, I wouldn't like it that much without Marty in goal, but I wouldn't cry. Finland? I couldn't care less.

Edited by Revan, 25 February 2010 - 02:46 AM.

#245 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:59 AM

That was a lot of hockey to watch in one day.

Finland is going to be so tough for the USA to play against. They don't quit, they don't stop and they have good goaltending. They always show up when medals are on the line. Slovakia played an amazing team game, defensively they kept everything to the outside and Chara is a tower of power. Demitra is back, he looks like a superstar in the Olympics. Russia had no team defense, period. Canada struggles against defensive teams, Slovakia will have a chance if they keep it a slow boring game.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#246 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:20 AM

Great just what I feared would happen in the other bracket did, Canada came out hungry, Russia didn't and now Slovakia's going to get manhandled in the semis playing their third game in four nights - while Canada gets their third scrimmage in that same time frame.

#247 skullsmasher

skullsmasher

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:51 AM

I can't even make fun of Ranger fans for Queen Suckfest blowing the game because they will say the same about Marty. Either way I can't wait to hopefully see this US team in a Metal round. I think Finland beat us last year so lets come out on FIRE WE WANT GOLD!!!!!!!

#248 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:34 AM

Let's go Finland ! Let's go Slovakia ; )

#249 thegame346

thegame346

Senior Devil

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:16 AM

I can't even make fun of Ranger fans for Queen Suckfest blowing the game because they will say the same about Marty. Either way I can't wait to hopefully see this US team in a Metal round. I think Finland beat us last year so lets come out on FIRE WE WANT GOLD!!!!!!!

MEDAL round not Metal round

#250 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,606 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:23 AM

Medal is made of Metal yes? :P
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#251 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:34 AM

Medal is made of Metal yes? :P

Actually cutbacks have resulted in any sport NBC deems not worthy (read: not ice dancing) being medals made of cardboard.

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#252 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:50 AM

Metal Round? :rock: :rock: :rock:

Methinks the Nordic countries would kill it.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#253 Easy Parise

Easy Parise

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:09 PM

Posted Image

lets fvcking do this! :rock: :rock: :rock:
Posted Image

#254 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:35 PM

It'd be a walk in the park. Sweden - Finland in the final for sure. Maybe the US could compete, but they'd be thrown off their game by having to negotiate new deals with Hot Topic between periods. Norway could also put up a decent effort, but most of their "players" had their heyday in the early/mid 90s.

Edited by Marshall, 25 February 2010 - 01:36 PM.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#255 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:19 PM

Marty did steal a game for Canada in the shootout. Luongo has had very little to do with Canada's success thus far.
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#256 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:47 PM

It'd be a walk in the park. Sweden - Finland in the final for sure. Maybe the US could compete, but they'd be thrown off their game by having to negotiate new deals with Hot Topic between periods. Norway could also put up a decent effort, but most of their "players" had their heyday in the early/mid 90s.

Sweden would be the winner. Anders Friden with the game winner in the shootout.

#257 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:59 PM

Marty did steal a game for Canada in the shootout. Luongo has had very little to do with Canada's success thus far.

+1000 Marty HAD to steal the game vs the Swiss. Canada scored an unbelievable 23 goals over the 3 games Luongo played. (8 vs Norway, 8 vs Germany, 7 vs Russia) He didn't play that great last night and it did not matter. The goaltending since they pulled Marty has been irrelevant for Canada. Marty or Fleury (or virtually any other goaltender for that matter) could have played and they would be in the same position they are today.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#258 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:35 PM

Come on Liz. I know you love him but Louie made a few important saves early before it went from 1 to 3-zip. Sometimes, goalie changes spark teams. Canada's played much better since Babcock went to Luongo and adjusted his lines.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#259 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:38 PM

Come on Liz. I know you love him but Louie made a few important saves early before it went from 1 to 3-zip. Sometimes, goalie changes spark teams. Canada's played much better since Babcock went to Luongo and adjusted his lines.

Would you attribute Canada's "spark" to the goalie change or the line adjustments?

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#260 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:13 PM

Both. When a team makes a change in net, it sends a message. Most agree that Canada wasn't good against Team USA. And that was from the goal out. When they went to Marty in 2002, there weren't any complaints. In a short tournament like this, it happens.

Edited by Derek21, 25 February 2010 - 07:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users