Ready for some baseball. 2010 New York Mets: Come get some

#62 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,187 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:46 AM

Wow, that lineup basically seems like Jerry throwing everyone's names in a bingo ball machine and picking them out. Cora leading off is scary, Castillo hitting second is silly if you don't have Pagan in the lineup and Pagan should be playing anyway, he sort of earned that from his decent season last year.

I was gonna say 77 wins as a prediction, but at this point I'd probably even go lower and say 75. Even with a healthy roster you could make a case we're fourth in the division.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#63 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:50 AM

Wow, that lineup basically seems like Jerry throwing everyone's names in a bingo ball machine and picking them out. Cora leading off is scary, Castillo hitting second is silly if you don't have Pagan in the lineup and Pagan should be playing anyway, he sort of earned that from his decent season last year.

I was gonna say 77 wins as a prediction, but at this point I'd probably even go lower and say 75. Even with a healthy roster you could make a case we're fourth in the division.

I think every Met fan has there expectations set low this season.
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#64 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:58 AM

Lets Go Mets!!!
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#65 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:37 AM

What's scary: the movie "Major League" is now 20 years old.

Even scarier: I was 19 when I saw it, in the THEATER, for the first time.

Still ever scarier: I feel like this year's Mets team will be a lot like that Major League Indians' team...minus the charm and season-end surge. This has a lot of potential to be a rough one for sure. But they all start off 0-0 right? Please prove everyone wrong Metropolitans...
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#66 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:20 PM

Soon to be 1-0. At least they're a winning team for one day.

Congrats to nmig...he got to see this one live and in person.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#67 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,187 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:27 PM

Soon to be 1-0. At least they're a winning team for one day.

Congrats to nmig...he got to see this one live and in person.

I've been to every Devils opener since 2004 but at least once I'd like to go to a Mets opener - by far baseball Opening Day seems to be the best, I don't know why. Maybe it's the whole going to a game in the day thing or the fact everyone actually starts 0-0 on the same day (other than the dopey ESPN opener on Sunday night now) while it's more staggered in other sports where some teams open one day and some another.

And yeah glad lol got a nice Santana win on the best early April day outside you can imagine and all's right with the world today. Big HR for Wright to get it going and put 2009 behind him personally, good job on tacking on runs after the Marlins had cut it to 2-1 with Santana going out of the game.

Edited by Hasan4978, 05 April 2010 - 03:31 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#68 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:27 PM

Great job today Mets! Great to see them play well.
Langenbrunner is #1
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#69 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:05 PM

I've been to every Devils opener since 2004 but at least once I'd like to go to a Mets opener - by far baseball Opening Day seems to be the best, I don't know why. Maybe it's the whole going to a game in the day thing or the fact everyone actually starts 0-0 on the same day (other than the dopey ESPN opener on Sunday night now) while it's more staggered in other sports where some teams open one day and some another.

And yeah glad lol got a nice Santana win on the best early Aril day outside you can imagine and all's right with the world today. Big HR for Wright to get it going and put 2009 behind him personally, good job on tacking on runs after the Marlins had cut it to 2-1 with Santana going out of the game.

Yeah, I've never been to an Opening Day in baseball, and I agree that it has more of a special feeling to it...something about everything blooming and warmer weather coming...but just the sheer volume of games played in a MLB season makes the significance of Opening Day games rather ironic...what's more important, starting off an NFL season 1-0 or a MLB season 1-0? The best thing about a 1-0 start for a team that isn't expected to do very much (like ours), as teeny a sample as it is, you get that one little glimmer of hope and happiness. I get the feeling we'll have plenty of time to be negative...right now it's just kind of nice to see 1-0 and have something to cheer about.

#30 FOREVER!

#70 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:48 PM

Back from the game... wow, really had great time. The weather was perfect, it got pretty windy as the game progressed but nothing too chilly. Didn't really get a chance to check out the Mets' HoF and the other new things in Citi; I'll be going again Wednesday so maybe I'll check it out then. As for the game... Santana was terrific. For some reason I couldn't find the velocity readings anywhere, but he was very effective, and he pretty much owned Cameron Maybin all afternoon. Wright hitting a 2-run HR in his 1st AB of the year, against an exceptionally good pitcher nonetheless, was an awesome sight to see! I felt like the game was turning towards the Marlins' when the Mets starting leaving men on base and when the fish cut the lead to 2-1... but then the explosion of runs in the next half inning (the 6th) made me breathe a lot easier. Good outing for Nieve to eat up a couple of innings and K a pair of hitters. Jacobs looked pretty crappy at the plate. I gotta admit, I was pretty impressed with Matthews Jr; strong game at the plate and got to everything hit his way in CF. Barajas and Bay had nice games too.

I took a bunch of pictures of the pre-game ceremony, I'll upload them somewhere and post them later.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#71 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:40 PM

I just uploaded all of the pictures to Photobucket. Some of them came out a little blurry and you'll notice people got in the way of some others, but they came out pretty decent for the most part (its 3 pages): http://pbckt.com/sE.GVP

Pretty sure that link should work.

Edited by nmigliore, 05 April 2010 - 06:41 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#72 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:44 AM

Cool pics...thanks nmig.

BTW I heard the Mets' training staff and Oliver Perez heard the boo-birds aplenty during the intros...who else did, if anyone? Just curious...

#30 FOREVER!

#73 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,187 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:59 AM

Cool pics...thanks nmig.

BTW I heard the Mets' training staff and Oliver Perez heard the boo-birds aplenty during the intros...who else did, if anyone? Just curious...

Hah...I didn't even know they introduced the training staff. I did hear the starting lineup get introduced over the radio and it sounded like Jerry and Castillo got their fair share of boos too. That's one thing I couldn't do, boo a guy before the start of the season although in the case of the training staff and doctors it's the only chance you get to boo so why not :lol:

#74 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:11 AM

The entire training staff all got boo'ed but the equipment and clubhouse personnel all got cheered - I thought that was pretty hilarious. Dan Warthen and Jerry Manuel got mixed reactions. HoJo received a great cheer. Razor Shines received some boo's while Chip Hale got cheered. As for the players, Perez was boo'ed pretty heavily, Castillo got somewhat of a mixed reaction (some fans were yelling 'Luuiissss' while others were boo'ing). Sean Green was boo'ed. Bay, Wright, and K-Rod all received big cheers.

Edited by nmigliore, 06 April 2010 - 09:12 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#75 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:04 PM

I hate the stupid off-day right after opening day.
Langenbrunner is #1

#76 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:40 PM

The entire training staff all got boo'ed but the equipment and clubhouse personnel all got cheered - I thought that was pretty hilarious. Dan Warthen and Jerry Manuel got mixed reactions. HoJo received a great cheer. Razor Shines received some boo's while Chip Hale got cheered. As for the players, Perez was boo'ed pretty heavily, Castillo got somewhat of a mixed reaction (some fans were yelling 'Luuiissss' while others were boo'ing). Sean Green was boo'ed. Bay, Wright, and K-Rod all received big cheers.

lol
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#77 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:05 PM

Back from the game... I really don't have much to say other than this was an extremely frustrating, emotional-rollercoaster game. Maine stunk, he constantly fell behind hitters, and his velocity appeared underwhelming. The Marlins bullpen was a joke; they pretty much handed the Mets a win, but the Mets didn't take it. I guess if there was one positive it was that they put in some pretty gritty at bats in the later innings to fight back, but again, a lot of it was the Marlins' undoing.

Edited by nmigliore, 07 April 2010 - 11:07 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#78 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:46 AM

Minor League baseball begins tonight!

AAA: Tobi Stoner is starting for the Bisons (the rotation might be lacking, but the Bisons have a pretty sweet lineup and bullpen this year).
AA: Eric Niesen is starting for the Mets.
High-A: Jeurys Familia is starting for the Mets.
A: Armando Rodriguez is starting for the Sand Gnats.

And from the 'well why the hell not' department: Eddie Kunz will be a STARTER in AA.

For those that want to follow the minor leagues, milb.com is where you can access the box scores, and I highly recommend metsminorleagueblog.com, which covers the entire Mets' system, as well as scoutingthesally.com, which is a terrific site that covers the South Atlantic League's prospects and frequently puts up scouting reports on Sand Gnats' players.

I would check out metsminorleagueblog.com for the rosters. In terms of promotions, there hasn't been anything surprising, but its really nice to see Jefry Marte and Wilmer Flores returning to Savannah instead of being rushed up to high-A.

Edited by nmigliore, 08 April 2010 - 10:48 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#79 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:32 AM

Back from the game... I really don't have much to say other than this was an extremely frustrating, emotional-rollercoaster game. Maine stunk, he constantly fell behind hitters, and his velocity appeared underwhelming. The Marlins bullpen was a joke; they pretty much handed the Mets a win, but the Mets didn't take it. I guess if there was one positive it was that they put in some pretty gritty at bats in the later innings to fight back, but again, a lot of it was the Marlins' undoing.

I agree 100% with everything you said.

Maine still stinks...I said at the time that his career year was '07, and all he keeps doing is proving me right. Sadly he's now a 5-inning, 3 or 4-run guy who doesn't fool anyone anymore. It wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't the #2 starter.

Looks like "Santana and the rest will drive you bananas", as far as this rotation goes. But that was expected.

And yeah, don't want to hear how the Mets "rallied". That was almost entirely the Marlins' doing. The Mets clearly aren't a good team, but the Marlins reminded me of last year's Mets in so many ways...man did they look bad.

#30 FOREVER!

#80 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,187 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:27 PM

Looks like "Santana and the rest will drive you bananas", as far as this rotation goes. But that was expected.

And yeah, don't want to hear how the Mets "rallied". That was almost entirely the Marlins' doing. The Mets clearly aren't a good team, but the Marlins reminded me of last year's Mets in so many ways...man did they look bad.

I don't know whether to laugh or roll my eyes...but that is a good line.

Basically going into the season I had miniscule confidence in Maine and Niese, zero confidence in Pelfrey and negative confidence in Ollie, so far I might have to downgrade Maine. I do think it's too bad he's had all the arm troubles the last couple years, I think he - unlike Pelf - had the tools to be consistent and a far better head on his shoulders than Ollie, and I don't want to completely sell the stock in one game since he might still be feeling the effects of the virus/food poisoning/whatever but I'd say last night was more bad than good despite the rally.

I do give them credit for the rally though, they had to work out some good at bats as much as the Marlin defense gave it away. Francoeur going from 0-2 to a walk, you wouldn't have seen that last year for example. Unfortunately it looked like an '08 rally where they came back and the pen blew it anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users