1631 replies to this topic

#1521 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:23 PM

He has a future as an 8th inning guy...but I hope it never gets to the point where Bobby Parnell is our closer.

don't think he has the mental toughness. He just loses his control far too often. You can't lose this game...you were down 5-0 and rallied...and he gagged it up.

time to start auditioning new closers

Edited by '7', 03 September 2011 - 09:32 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1522 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:27 PM

why load the bases when Parnell can't throw strikes?

and shouldn't duda be double switched out at this point with Pagan in RF?

Edited by '7', 03 September 2011 - 09:27 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#1523 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:35 PM

Parnell had everything work against him that inning; the should-have-been-passed ball, the stupid idea from Collins to walk Bernadina and face Zimmerman, the broken bat bloop, and Duda not fielding that ball the way he should have. Of course, he didn't help himself by not being able to throw strikes tonight, but it happens. I still have tons of confidence in him. Hes by the far the best arm in that bullpen, and its not even close.

Edited by nmigliore, 03 September 2011 - 09:40 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1524 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,946 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:10 AM

David Wright since returning from the DL in late July: .313/.387/.497, 5 HR, 15.9 K%, 10.4 BB%. That's very good, especially that strikeout rate.

Those numbers look good at first glance nmig, but they don't really tell the full story. He's been incredibly inconsistent over that stretch...he started off on an absolute tear, then vanished for a while (he hit .247 in August, and that was with him getting hot again at the end of the month), and now is hitting again. He's reminded me of Pat Burrell more and more...a guy who can be a red-hot wrecking crew on occasion, but who can also look overmatched by average stuff for extended stretches. He can look so good and so bad.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1525 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,946 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:17 AM

Beltran showing signs of having a pulse...now 7-for-7 in his last two games, with a walk. Took him long enough, but at least the Giants are getting to see what they'd hoped for.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1526 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:55 PM

Can't wait until we're finally free of the plague known as Mike Pelfrey

#1527 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:30 PM

Gotta love Duda...kids got insane power. Clutch hits as well

facially satin looks like he could be Adam Laroche's brother. Pushbroom eyebrows

#1528 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:33 PM

Please, let this be the last we ever see of gutless Bobby Parnitez as our closer. Blowing games to the Nats and Fish? Really? Right down the middle to Mike Cameron...who the hell knew that fossil was even still playing?

Edited by '7', 06 September 2011 - 10:35 PM.

#1529 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:11 PM

No more gutless puke Parnitez please, we've seen enough. He cant close games....PERIOD

#1530 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:02 PM

I'm going to be watching the Jets' game a hell of a lot more than the Mets' game tonight, but the Mets' 9/11 ceremony just now was amazing.

On the flipside, its a complete DISGRACE that MLB is not allowing them to wear the NYPD/NYFD hats. Disgusting.

Edited by nmigliore, 11 September 2011 - 07:28 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1531 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:59 PM

I'm going to be watching the Jets' game a hell of a lot more than the Mets' game tonight, but the Mets' 9/11 ceremony just now was amazing.

On the flipside, its a complete DISGRACE that MLB is not allowing them to wear the NYPD/NYFD hats. Disgusting.

Not that Wilpon has the $$$ to burn...but wear the hats and take the fine

f*ck you MLB. They wanted to put spiderman advertisements on the bags a few years ago, but not allowing us to wear hats honering this cities heroes? :angry:

#1532 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:26 PM

Really would've been nice to see David Wright get a hit there against Ramon Cruz with the bases loaded to win it...sigh

#1533 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,946 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:14 AM

Really would've been nice to see David Wright get a hit there against Ramon Cruz with the bases loaded to win it...sigh

Duda was walked so that Cruz could face Wright...who predictably did nothing. Yeah, loading the bases set up force plays at all bases, but just goes to show that no one's afraid of David Wright anymore. And he showed you why.

#30 FOREVER!

#1534 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:20 AM

For all the hate Wright gets, you'd think he's awful. His 131 wRC+ this season ranks tied for 2nd best among 3B this season with A-Rod. Michael Young leads the pack. But that's better than Kevin Youkilis, Aramis Ramirez, Evan Longoria, Chipper Jones, Evan Longoria, Ryan Zimmerman.... I could go on, but its useless. All the stats that people on this board care about are the garbage ones that hold little meaning.

Edited by nmigliore, 12 September 2011 - 09:27 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1535 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,946 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:29 AM

For all the hate Wright gets, you'd think he's awful. His 131 wRC+ this season ranks tied for 2nd best among 3B this season with A-Rod. Michael Young leads the pack. But that's better than Kevin Youkilis, Aramis Ramirez, Evan Longoria, Chipper Jones, Evan Longoria, Ryan Zimmerman.... I could go on, but its useless. All the stats that people on this board care about are the garbage ones that hold little meaning.

He hasn't been that good. No sabermetric spin-doctoring can change that. At the very least, he is definitely not what he was. Do you really think he's been good this year? No sabermetrics...just a simple yes or no answer.

BTW the Ks are ticking up again...9 in his last 7 games.

#30 FOREVER!

#1536 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:00 PM

He hasn't been that good. No sabermetric spin-doctoring can change that. At the very least, he is definitely not what he was. Do you really think he's been good this year? No sabermetrics...just a simple yes or no answer.

From a hitting perspective? Yes, he has been good. He ranks near the top in hitting at his position. How is that not good? And even if you want to look past the position argument, a 128 wRC+ is nothing to scoff at -- that means hes been 28% better than league average -- and it ranks tied for 37th overall in MLB. This isn't some skeptical, advanced stat either; think of wRC+ as basically a much better version of OPS+.

BTW the Ks are ticking up again...9 in his last 7 games.

And you're going to take that ridiculously small sample for granted? Check the season rate. Its 20.5%; that's drastically down from last year's rate 24%. Come on... if you're going to pick with Wright's numbers, the strikeout rate is probably the worst argument you can make. The fact Wright has kept his strikeouts under control pretty well should give you some hope that he MAY be able to return to the elite hitter he was a few years ago. Or if not that, then at least hold off this belief* that hes in decline

*: Which I don't buy anyway; I think Wright just peaked early and everyone falsely believed (believes?) hes headed for some steep, offensive decline as if hes in his mid-30's.

The only problem I have with Wright is something I've stated numerous times: defense. Defensive metrics can be dangerous if not used properly, but there are a multitude of metrics that have painted Wright as a very poor defender for 2-3 years now; there's a very good chance that is accurate and not just some noise.

Edited by nmigliore, 12 September 2011 - 12:13 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1537 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,946 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:46 PM

From a hitting perspective? Yes, he has been good. He ranks near the top in hitting at his position. How is that not good? And even if you want to look past the position argument, a 128 wRC+ is nothing to scoff at -- that means hes been 28% better than league average -- and it ranks tied for 37th overall in MLB. This isn't some skeptical, advanced stat either; think of wRC+ as basically a much better version of OPS+.

And you're going to take that ridiculously small sample for granted? Check the season rate. Its 20.5%; that's drastically down from last year's rate 24%. Come on... if you're going to pick with Wright's numbers, the strikeout rate is probably the worst argument you can make. The fact Wright has kept his strikeouts under control pretty well should give you some hope that he MAY be able to return to the elite hitter he was a few years ago. Or if not that, then at least hold off this belief* that hes in decline

*: Which I don't buy anyway; I think Wright just peaked early and everyone falsely believed (believes?) hes headed for some steep, offensive decline as if hes in his mid-30's.

The only problem I have with Wright is something I've stated numerous times: defense. Defensive metrics can be dangerous if not used properly, but there are a multitude of metrics that have painted Wright as a very poor defender for 2-3 years now; there's a very good chance that is accurate and not just some noise.

One problem with these numbers is that they don't measure consistency. Wright has been woefully inconsistent this season...like I said, in my eyes he's become Pat Burrell. And even if the Ks are down overall, he still gets overmatched on average stuff a bit too often.

Checked out guys like Youkilis and Longoria, and they are having down years, which allows Wright to move up in the sabes category.

The best thing I can say about Wright is that he's been unconscious a couple of times this season (July 22-31 and Aug 24-Sep 5 come to mind), but he's been pretty invisible otherwise...yes, every player has ups and downs and hot spells and slumps, but I don't look at Wright's year and say "yeah, he's been good." I don't think many Met fans would or could.

#30 FOREVER!

#1538 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,946 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:27 AM

Wright strikes again in the field...but at least he's having a "good" year at the plate. Right.
Beltran continues to sizzle for SF now that it's effectively garbage time for that team. Of course those who don't watch him daily will look at his overall numbers for the Giants and say, "See, he was good for them" when he really wasn't. At least he'll get a decent contract out of someone.

#30 FOREVER!

#1539 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:06 AM

Whatever, CR. I've said my piece. I'm tired of constantly repeating stuff. If you really think Wright's offensive season is not good despite clear statistics that say otherwise.... then whatever, believe what you want. The only thing we're going to really agree on is that his defense is problematic, and yes, that does cut into his value as an overall player.

Regarding Beltran, again, this is a situation we'll never agree on. His numbers with the Giants (.926 OPS) are fantastic, yet you continue to look at the glass half empty while I tend to view it as the glass half full; I'm sure the answer is somewhere in the middle.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1540 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,946 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:22 AM

Whatever, CR. I've said my piece. I'm tired of constantly repeating stuff. If you really think Wright's offensive season is not good despite clear statistics that say otherwise.... then whatever, believe what you want. The only thing we're going to really agree on is that his defense is problematic, and yes, that does cut into his value as an overall player.

Regarding Beltran, again, this is a situation we'll never agree on. His numbers with the Giants (.926 OPS) are fantastic, yet you continue to look at the glass half empty while I tend to view it as the glass half full; I'm sure the answer is somewhere in the middle.

Here's some clear stats for you, re: Wright:

.263 BA - 38 points below his career avg
.357 OB% - 24 points below his career norm
.441 SLG% - 69 points below his career norm
.798 OB+SLG - 93 points below his career norm

Month of August: .247 BA, .768 OB+SLG
Month of Sep: .235 BA, .753 OB+SLG

Sorry, there's NO way you can spin this season as having been a good one for Wright. He hasn't been flat-out terrible overall, but he has not been good.

As for Beltran, the numbers look good at a glance, especially now that he's fattening them up, but to me that was Beltran's MO almost the whole time he was a Met. He never seems to be as good as the numbers would have you believe...you're almost shocked at the end of the year when you look at his stats.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 15 September 2011 - 11:28 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users