1631 replies to this topic

#1541 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:55 PM

I think Wright has had an okay season. It's allowable for a player to have a season that's a bit off. I thought his last season was not as good as this one. It's certainly no reason to panic and look for other options. There really aren't any other options anyway; we don't have any of the MLB's top third base prospects.

From a hitting perspective? Yes, he has been good. He ranks near the top in hitting at his position. How is that not good?

The only problem I have with Wright is something I've stated numerous times: defense. Defensive metrics can be dangerous if not used properly, but there are a multitude of metrics that have painted Wright as a very poor defender for 2-3 years now; there's a very good chance that is accurate and not just some noise.

If Wright really is one of the worst at his position, it seems a bit off to me to be comparing him to others at his position.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#1542 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,386 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:10 PM

I think Wright has had an okay season. It's allowable for a player to have a season that's a bit off. I thought his last season was not as good as this one. It's certainly no reason to panic and look for other options. There really aren't any other options anyway; we don't have any of the MLB's top third base prospects.

If Wright really is one of the worst at his position, it seems a bit off to me to be comparing him to others at his position.

My concern is to where it's heading...though he put up respectable power numbers last season, some of his other numbers were down, and those other numbers are further down this season. nmig PMed some interesting info as to how some of the more traditional numbers and ways of measuring performance can be misleading...I'm open to other ways of measuring production, and maybe Wright is playing better than he appears to be (at the plate, anyway), but I see a guy who just isn't what he was, and yeah, I'm worried about that.

nmig is basically saying he's been one of the best hitters at his position (in part because it seems like a lot of third basemen are not having good years), but has been poor defensively. If the 2006-08 Wright was coming up to the plate (and another season wasn't lost), it'd be easier to overlook.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1543 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:44 PM

I figured I'll just post what I did in the PM and why there are better offensive-measuring stats than OPS, which really explains why I think Wright is still a very good hitter:

The problem with OPS is that its flawed. Don't get me wrong, it's still somewhat useful, but I don't use it that often anymore. It's biggest issue is that it overvalues SLG. For instance, a player with a .300 OBP/.500 SLG is treated the same as a player with a .400 OBP/.400 SLG (eg: both players have an .800 OPS). So that's where the stat weighted on-base average (wOBA) comes into play; this stat uses linear weights to essentially balance things out. A quick, current example is this:

Michael Young has an .851 OPS this season.
Nelson Cruz, likewise, has an .851 OPS this season.

So both hitters look just as valuable as one another. But that's not really true. wOBA, with linear weights, balances these out: .364 wOBA for Cruz, .367 for Young. Not a HUGE difference, but at least something, and it proves OPS is over-valuing Cruz (even if only by a little). There are plenty of other examples that are more extreme than this if you research. But yeah, that's why wOBA > OPS. Fangraphs uses this as part of it's definition:

OPS does a good job of combining all the different aspects of hitting (hitting for average, hitting for power, having plate discipline) into one metric, but it weighs slugging percentage the same as on-base percentage, while on-base percentage is more valuable than slugging.

Weighted On-Base Average combines all the different aspects of hitting into one metric, weighting each of them in proportion to their actual run value.

wOBA is put on the same scale as OBP, so any score that would be a great OBP is also a great wOBA. League-average is typically around .330, although it varies from year to year.

And you've seen me quote wRC+ before, which, in a nutshell, is the OPS+ for wOBA. So think: what OPS+ is to OPS is equal to what wRC+ is to wOBA.

And in general I use wRC+ over wOBA, because, again like OPS+ does, it adjust for park and league. This important, because a .330 wOBA last year is a lot more valuable THIS year because runs are down. wRC+ obviously adjust for this (and parks), like OPS+ does. This is why I view Wright in such high regard offensively. It may SEEM like his offensive numbers are down, but once properly balanced out, adjusted for park and league, they are really quite good - as I mentioned the other day, he ranks somewhere in the top 35 in MLB and near the top at his position in wRC+.

There's just too many fallacies in comparing his current season OPS versus his career rates; again, for one, OPS isn't as accurate of an offensive measurement as wOBA .. two, its not even adjusted for the fact Wright plays in Citi or the fact runs all around baseball are down, which sets the offensive bar lower.. and three, I think me and you both realize Wright's career numbers are skewed by his awesome level of play in 2005-2008, which he'll probably not return to.

All of these stats can be found at Fangraphs under player pages and the leaderboards, and they also have a library/glossary section with good definitions and links to separate articles explaining things more in depth.

Edited by nmigliore, 15 September 2011 - 02:57 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1544 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,001 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:05 PM

Nice win, 2 of 3 in Atlanta is a rarity

But go away Parnell...go away forever.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1545 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,386 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:34 AM

Beltran is really going nuts out there...now up to .338 as a Giant. Too bad it's all coming in garbage time, though the Giants aren't dead yet.

Gotta wonder how much more Tim Lincecum and Matt Cain can take of the lack of offense...Lincecum has made 154 career starts, has a career ERA of 2.95 and has won just 69 games, against 40 losses.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1546 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,386 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:26 AM

http://www.nypost.co...97wjh5tyh2MmbWI

Looks like the fences are coming in.

#30 FOREVER!

#1547 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,386 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:23 AM

Wright is now 2 for his last 22, with 1 BB and 10 Ks. His slash line (.257/.346/.435) and OB+SLG (.781) are all well below his career norms...as a matter of fact, the only stat that isn't a career-worst for Wright is his OB% (second-worst). He's hit .233 since August 1, over 180 AB. Sorry nmig, I know you've come up reasons and alternative stats as to why Wright has been better than the numbers I listed would have us believe, but it's really hard to categorize this as having been a good year for him. Maybe he goes on a end-season tear that builds his numbers up.

I hope to God bringing the fences in helps this guy.

Mets finish with a 43-38 record on the road. Guess that's something.

#30 FOREVER!

#1548 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,218 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:39 AM

Ouch, yeah Wright really hasn't been the same player at all the last two years. He'll probably have some form of a bounceback next year playing for a contract but it would do more harm than god to whoever signs him if they wind up being fake numbers.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 23 September 2011 - 06:40 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1549 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,386 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

Wright now down to .255, career down to .300 on the nose. BA isn't everything of course, but it's still sad to see where Wright is. At this point, I'll take the 2010 version of Wright.

And whatever the Mets' plans are going forward, I hope Mike Pelfrey isn't part of them.

#30 FOREVER!

#1550 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:34 PM

Wright now down to .255, career down to .300 on the nose. BA isn't everything of course, but it's still sad to see where Wright is. At this point, I'll take the 2010 version of Wright.

And whatever the Mets' plans are going forward, I hope Mike Pelfrey isn't part of them.

I saw a stat today.. that in 28 innings pitched against the Phillies, Pelfrey has given up 24 ER and 6GS.. wtf?? guy is a scrub

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#1551 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,001 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:31 PM

Well that was stupid...the fvck are you bunting with Evans, a hot hitter not used to sacrificing, against a wild Cordero who just hit Wright and allowed a double to Harris. Gave him a free out

dumb managing

I saw a stat today.. that in 28 innings pitched against the Phillies, Pelfrey has given up 24 ER and 6GS.. wtf?? guy is a scrub

I pray he's pitched his last game as a Met. Pelfrey is a lost cause.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#1552 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:51 PM

It would actually be good to lose another game to the Reds as it would pretty much lock the #12 overall pick in the 2012 draft to the Mets.

As for Pelfrey... yeah, hes terrible. Nothing new there. His stuff is underwhelming, he no longer gets good groundball rates, he's NEVER posted great strikeout-to-walk ratios, he's NEVER handled opposite-handed batters well, and he's ALWAYS been terrible on the road. The only good thing he does is eat up 180 or more innings a season. That's it. I've been banging this drum since the beginning of the season. He should be non-tendered; the Mets can do better with $5-6M.

Edited by nmigliore, 26 September 2011 - 09:52 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1553 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,386 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:18 AM

It would actually be good to lose another game to the Reds as it would pretty much lock the #12 overall pick in the 2012 draft to the Mets.

As for Pelfrey... yeah, hes terrible. Nothing new there. His stuff is underwhelming, he no longer gets good groundball rates, he's NEVER posted great strikeout-to-walk ratios, he's NEVER handled opposite-handed batters well, and he's ALWAYS been terrible on the road. The only good thing he does is eat up 180 or more innings a season. That's it. I've been banging this drum since the beginning of the season. He should be non-tendered; the Mets can do better with $5-6M.

Based on 2008 and 2010 (which were almost identical statistically), I understood why they gave him a shot...and even including his mediocre 2009, he put up a 38-32 record (with a 4.11 ERA overall) from 2008-2010. Not legendary stuff, but with Santana out, the Mets needed a body that could at least pitch about 200 innings, with a reasonable shot at posting a winning record.

Having said that, Pelf failed and failed miserably this season. The Mets could always give him another shot next year in the #4 slot (where he belongs), but I'd prefer that they just wash their hands of him. He's only 27, but I don't see anything that leads me to believe he's going to get any better, or tougher, or smarter. I still think the Mets made the right decision in giving him a chance to build off last season, based on their very limited options, but now it's time to make the right one in moving on.

#30 FOREVER!

#1554 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:55 PM

This sounds like tremendous news:

MicheleSteele Michele Steele
Breaking -- Judge dismissing almost all claims in Madoff trustee suit against Mets owners

Edit: or maybe not just yet...

MicheleSteele Michele Steele
Judge in Mets/Madoff case is letting all but 2 counts stand ---HOWEVER it looks like those 2 counts still leave the main $1B claim intact

Edited by nmigliore, 27 September 2011 - 04:22 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1555 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:08 PM

I wonder if that hit that Reyes just got will inject any "controversy" into the batting race coverage. I personally thought that I saw a depression formed on his shoe in the slow-mo replay. I think the scoring of it as hit not an error is correct though.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#1556 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,001 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:40 PM

I sincerely hope Parnell is not on this team next year. All this guy ever does is give up big hits

#1557 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:59 PM

Well, the #12 overall pick is ours at least....
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1558 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,386 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:57 AM

I sincerely hope Parnell is not on this team next year. All this guy ever does is give up big hits

He'll get at least next year to get the chance to show improvement...not like the Mets are going to spend any money on the on-field product anyway, so they probably won't be any better than they were this season. He's young and throws hard. But as we all know, that doesn't always mean a whole lot.

Wright is now 14-for-84 (.167 BA) with 1 2B hit, 2 HRs, 8 BB and 26 K since Sept 6. nmig, can we finally admit once and for all that this has not been a good year for David Wright?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 28 September 2011 - 06:13 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1559 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:38 AM

Parnell does more than just throw hard though. He's good at striking batters out and he gets groundballs. Even though the walks are up this season (4+ BB/9), that's a great combination. Maybe he can't handle the closer's role, but he's at least a quality 7th or 8th inning man, probably better.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1560 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,001 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:25 PM

Just lame...Reyes gets a hit and he gets pulled right away.

Mets get it wrong as usual. Don't give him a chance to go out to the field, or even let him steal. Heck give him a chance to go 2-2!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users