59 replies to this topic

#21 MaddDog

MaddDog

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 02:08 PM

If Tivo goes, we *MUST* get something in return, or we traded (no offense to Jeff) one of the top 5 players this team has EVER drafted for Jeff Friesen and nothing else. This is unsettling.

I agree :P . I DO NOT like the idea of Lou just letting Tverdovsky just walk away for nothing, and can't understand why Lou couldn't get *something* for him. Besides, our defense isn't getting any younger so why trade one of the younger d-men?? I understand the salary cap logic behind it but surely get a prospect back if nothing else (unless other teams don't want his salary AT ALL).

#22 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 02:11 PM

I would not be at all surprised if Hale was given a shot directly with the big club -- didn't someone post a link to an article mentioning that Hale would probably skip Albany since he's had great experience at college, and Lou loves UND?

As for losing Tivo, Daneyko, and Smehlik, that's all fine with me provided we sign Albelin for about $1 mil. to stay on as a rotating D-man. That, and I'd love to see Daneyko become Hale's personal coach.

Stevens-Rafalski
White-Niedermayer
??? - Albelin/Hale/Giroux

I still think Lou's going to try something like signing Cale Hulse. At least, I'm hoping for that.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#23 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,486 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 02:16 PM

There's no market for Tverdovsky. Who wants a guy at 3.6 million that couldn't even make it into his team's playoff games?

Lou either has to create a market for Oleg and risk eating his whole salary next season, or drop him now. Obviously we'd all prefer the former, but if the team is losing money, it makes sense for him to dish Tverdovsky off, or try to sign him at a reduced rate. I can't see anyone signing him for more than 3 million a season even if he is released.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#24 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 02:20 PM

There's no market for Tverdovsky. Who wants a guy at 3.6 million that couldn't even make it into his team's playoff games?

Plenty of teams would take him... we would just get a useless return at this point.

#25 rbdf

rbdf

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 02:29 PM

I think you could at least get a 3rd round pick for him if you trade him now so the taker can make the qualifying 1 yr offer to him.

#26 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,469 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 03:21 PM

Lou actually made a comment that he seemed he felt Hale was NHL ready and that was why they wanted him to leave early, a Devils rarity.

-Scott
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#27 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,008 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 03:34 PM

I'm not sure TiVo comes back at a reduced salary (though it is possible) since he had such a poor year and there was all sorts of innuendo when he got hurt, maybe he wants to go out West agian.

Smehlik might come back at a lower price though.

But I could live with Alby-Hale-Giroux if it came to that.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#28 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 03:34 PM

Lou actually made a comment that he seemed he felt Hale was NHL ready and that was why they wanted him to leave early, a Devils rarity.

-Scott

Ah, I didn't think I was crazy -- I knew Lou said something along those lines!

#29 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 03:50 PM

Any chances we'll see Foster this year?

Probably not...the guy is looking more and more like a mistake.

If only he could get, and stay healthy.

This is my thinking as well!

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tivo gone, Lou won't pay that (obviously). If Smehlik is gone then Albelin had better stay because I think Dano is on his way out. Hale is not ready!
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#30 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,469 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 04:13 PM

Hale is not ready!

No offense but how do any of us know if Hale is ready or not? Lou seemed to think so and he seems to be an ok judge of talent, so to give a blanket statement that hes not ready seems as silly as a statement guarenteeing his readiness.

-Scott
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#31 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 04:22 PM

Tivo was part of the deal that helped us win another Cup...like his limited role and health issues or not, w/o that entire deal no Friesen and still a stuck Sykkie and probably no Cup :ph34r:
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#32 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 04:24 PM

Hale is not ready!

No offense but how do any of us know if Hale is ready or not? Lou seemed to think so and he seems to be an ok judge of talent, so to give a blanket statement that hes not ready seems as silly as a statement guarenteeing his readiness.

-Scott

I think it's unlikely but it isn't my decision.
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#33 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • 11,567 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 04:25 PM

Hale is not ready!

-Scott

Yeah but most of us remember Lou telling us Dagenais would make up some of Mogilny's lost goals and Salommonson would also do so a couple of years ago.
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#34 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,486 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 04:33 PM

Minor semantical point, I don't believe Lou himself ever said Hale was ready, I believe Hale's agent said Lou said he thought Hale was NHL ready.. two different things. Most players who enter the NHL without a full pro season under their belt go south quickly.. Bill Muckalt's a good example, and Petr Sykora's an example we can all remember even though he didn't play in college.. at the end of that 95-96 season he was clearly physically exhausted.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#35 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 04:45 PM

ACtually i dont even think it was Hale's agent. I think it was Dean Blaise UND head coach who said it.
"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

#36 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,507 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 05:33 PM

There's no law out there saying we can't ger TiVo back for say TWO million a year.. since this ain't gonna be a big buyers market this year who knows ??
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#37 DRafalski

DRafalski

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 06:40 PM

Call me crazy, but we have three excellent D-men on this team who can step up and take in someone who has seen limited exposure but has the chance to make a big impact. TiVo was a good pick up on paper, but on ice for the Devils, he really never panned out.

There is no team out there that can match this team four deep with Stevens, Rafalski, Neidermayer and White, so those two extra spots really aren't that great of a concern. I'd bring Albelin back and look for someone to fill the not so big void Tivo would leave. Even for $2 million I'd let TiVo go..and try to find the next Barret Jackman
NJDevs.Com -[Brian Rafalski]- Keeper

#38 Hickmania

Hickmania

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 08:06 PM

I personally think its about time we saw Foster in a Devils sweater. Last time I saw that was draft day. I understand development takes years, but this team is deep enough to shift talent around all it wants. Maybe send Elias back to the River Rats for a game or two and get him thinkin. ;-)

I can't believe on a year with so many playoff games at home that this team LOST money. How did THAT happen? And with that many playoff gates, and a $50 million payroll, what kind of loss are the Rangers operating on?

#39 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 08:16 PM

Foster needs to get healthy before that can happen, i really want to see it as well. But lets see him get more then 30 games in a year(which was 2 years ago btw) and have him do well at albany. I think he will be ready for this comig year though.
"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

#40 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,593 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 08:25 PM

I can't believe on a year with so many playoff games at home that this team LOST money. How did THAT happen? And with that many playoff gates, and a $50 million payroll, what kind of loss are the Rangers operating on?

It's possible. We had 13 home games. Seven of them were sellouts. Others were close, but you don't make as much money in the early rounds. Then there is the $35 million owed to McMullen. Add in losses from last year (which don't go away) and you have a financial loss even if you win the Cup. In 2000 we broke even.
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users